• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can Someone Please Explain to Me Exactly What MM is All About?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I've always thought that in Majora's Mask, when Link falls in the beginning of the game, he's just falling down a really big, hollow tree, not dying and stuff like that. However, he apparently passes away at that time or some time before that. And that the events of the game represent the stages of grief. I have some problems regarding this:

The way he dies. He's the hero of time, people. He falls? Is that how his life ends? Nintendo couldn't find any other way for the most famous hero in the zelda universe to meet his makers? Which brings me to my next problem...

The goddesses. If they specificlly chose him to save Hyrule, why won't they show him a little favor? Why even make him go through the stages of grief?

What would happen if Link was to die? He's already dead so what would happen?

I don't mean to knock the developers of the game too much, but the whole "Link dying" thing just seems so skecthy. Is there any way Link could've lived in Majora's Mask?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The official telling of events is that when Link falls he is passing through a portal into Termina. The game manual and Hyrule Historia both refer to Termina as a parallel universe and Link is seen going through the portal at the start of Majora's Mask.

The whole death and the stages of grief thing is just a fan theory I believe which goes against the established canon set down by Nintendo. I was sure it had been discussed her on the forums a few months back but I can't find the thread. But yeah, the whole Link ded and Termina displays the stages of grief thing is just a fan theory that can be fairly easily argued against if I remember correctly.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
The official telling of events is that when Link falls he is passing through a portal into Termina. The game manual and Hyrule Historia both refer to Termina as a parallel universe and Link is seen going through the portal at the start of Majora's Mask.

The whole death and the stages of grief thing is just a fan theory I believe which goes against the established canon set down by Nintendo. I was sure it had been discussed her on the forums a few months back but I can't find the thread. But yeah, the whole Link ded and Termina displays the stages of grief thing is just a fan theory that can be fairly easily argued against if I remember correctly.

Oh, I got it. That makes more sense than the fan-based theory. Why did I think Link's death theory was canon? (I think that's the correct use of the word)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
There's probably a very convincing article about it somewhere. While it's interesting to humor it and think about it that way, it's simply impossible. The manual and the HH describe Termina as a parallel world, and Link must return to Hyrule at some point to become the Hero's Shade, also described in the HH. Also, I think it would clash with what I think is the primary theme of the game, friendship.

jack546

The chosen one
Locke is right the main theme of the game is friendship. I had never heard of the theory that when link falls down the hole into Termina he dies! However the five stages of grief is more of an undertone than a main theme.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I always figured Link dies sometime after the end of Majora's Mask. I mean he entered the Lost Woods without a fairy, and as that creepy Kokiri is so fond to point out, everybody who enters the Lost Woods without a fairy is lost and becomes a Stalfos, everybody, stalfos...

Termina is just in a different dimension than Hyrule, he doesn't die but rather is transported to Hyrule. While the 5 stages of grief is definitely symbolized in the game, it's not meant for Link specifically but rather it's to fit the themeing of the game.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I always figured Link dies sometime after the end of Majora's Mask. I mean he entered the Lost Woods without a fairy, and as that creepy Kokiri is so fond to point out, everybody who enters the Lost Woods without a fairy is lost and becomes a Stalfos, everybody, stalfos...

Termina is just in a different dimension than Hyrule, he doesn't die but rather is transported to Hyrule. While the 5 stages of grief is definitely symbolized in the game, it's not meant for Link specifically but rather it's to fit the themeing of the game.

Not the first time I say it, probably not the last, the hero's shade (AKA the late hero of time) is not a Stalfos

This is the shade
This is a Stalfos

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
I think it's pretty apparent that he lived, as shown in Hero's Shade. Or, that would make sense anyways. I personally have found no evidence that he did in fact die, so there's no way to know for sure. Perhaps Nintendo will elaborate on the next game, maybe?

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
Link couldn't have died that way (becoming a Stalfos). The Hero's Shade is an adult. I don't know if that really matters, but doesn't it say somewhere that only adults become Stalfos? I could be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere. It's hard to believe the Hero of Time would be lost in the woods for multiple years until adulthood.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom