• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Can Hyrule's Destiny Really Depend on Such a Lazy Boy?"

That quote is by Navi in the beginning of OoT but "Link" is recurrently referred to as lazy and/or incapable. I can't seem to construct a concrete theory as to why this personality characteristic is often attributed to the hero. Has anyone else noticed this theme and have a theory why? I think that it may extend beyond Zelda theory and may have social implications as well, as if to say to the player that no matter who you are now, you can become someone great. Thoughts?

For once, I don't have a deep, long essay about what I think this means.
I'm just going to say that I think it's just who Link is, and so that you get a beginning you can sympathize with, or just for the sake of fun. Like the Postman's Hat.
Yea, I'm tired. :lol:

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Answering this question brings to my mind an article that was on ZD's main page a long time ago, though I don't know how long. It was about keeping a character imperfect by assigning them one of the 'Seven Sins', and how Link should get this treatment. I believe Nintendo likes to assign Link Sloth, and have him overcome his flaw by going on a world-saving adventure. Although, I always thought Navi just said that line because Link wouldn't wake up...

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
How many JRPGs have we played where the game starts with the protagonist waking up to his mother telling him that he's late for a meeting with his girlfriend and remarking on "What a lazy boy!" he is? Then when said protagonist finally does meet with his girlfriend she then remarks on how he's late and "What a lazy boy!" he is.

It's painfully cliche. The seven deadly sins theory is a good one. Out of all of them, sloth is the most innocent for an unsuspecting future hero. Maybe it's a weak attempt to give the hero some sort of fault to make him more likable, perhaps? or to make viewers doubt that he is capable of future greatness? (as if, because "surprise!" he ends up saving the world!)

S

snilges

I truly think that it was just a joke to put humor into the situation and I find it a rather facetious remark. I really don't think it was made to be taken seriously.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmmmm

I think this basically used not just as a humorous aspect but I think it's also to show the transformation that Link goes through the story. At the start he Is just a small village boy/teenager who doesn't have a care in the world other than what is going on within his village! Then all of a sudden he is presented with a situation were he must save Zelda/save Hyrule.

I think this goes in contrast to what Link starts out with and it is to show how Link transforms from the beginning to the final battle where he shows true Courage!

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
He doesn't sleep even once on his journey though, and depending on how obsessive you are that journey can be several weeks long, give the little guy some credit!

Everything everyone says makes sense here. BUT, I have a theory about it. I don't know how to articulate it too well though.

I feel like Link is characterized as a sleepy character because he is meant to be awakened by his quest. Its kind of like the gods keep him in slumber until he is ready to fulfill his destiny, maybe to keep him safe, or keep him from having personal endeavours. In OOT it seems like it also foreshadows his seven years of waiting

Also, Nintendo probably opts to keep him a lazy guy so that when you assume the role of Link, you don't feel like you're missing out on some cool stuff he's already done. Its like he's been waiting for the player to show up before the adventure begins.

It goes to show that even the greatest heroes come from the most humble places. That and the fact that humble backgrounds and personality does provide a good cover from your enemies as oppose to being raised in high places where one could be an easy target.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Maybe it's an ironic reference (or foreshadowing) to how he ends up sleeping for seven years later on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom