• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Can ANYONE Describe the Weird Feeling of Majoras Mask?

E

evilpancakeman

I was playing it the other day...and it felt odd...no so much scary.but different.....In OoT you go around and slash up monster.....but in majoras mask you....are told by this weird guy..that you have to find a haunted mask..then he tries to drop a piano on you thinking "i didnt actually know how to cure this thing, ill drop a piano on him instead" especially the great bay.....anything feel odd to anyone else....its the only game that has that feel to it.....

Majoras Mask gives me that eerie feel. Just feels a lot darker themed, But i love it. The creepiness and chills i get from Majoras Mask is what really makes the experience better for me. The music adds to that too, Some of the tracks including Great Bay make me feel like i have to watch my back all the time. And man i dropped my controller and ran like a little girl a lot when in Ikana Canyon haha.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
It might have been that the story was a little different than before. There are more dark parts, and it has a lot of death in pain in it, while the other games were just like defeat the bad guy and save the princess.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
To me, it's the role fate plays in the game. In other games, despite the overwhelming odds, I personally feel a sense that Link is the one destined to win. In Majora's Mask, he's got some blessings of the goddesses - the Goddess of Time grants him the ability to replay time, after all - but there's a sense that he's fighting against the inevitable. There's a statement Kaepora Gaebora says when we meet him: "If you have the courage and determination to proceed in the face of destiny, then I shall teach you something useful." The use of destiny there is notable to me. The wording could be nothing, of course, and just mean that the land wouldn't have survived without Link. But to me, there's a sense that we don't know how all the goddesses are aligned in our battle. Did they mean for Termina to be destroyed but decided to honor Link's courage? Does it matter to them either way?

It's actually something I wouldn't mind seeing explore further in another Zelda game - the idea that Link is fighting against destiny, rather than with it, and it's only his strength that allows the course of the world to change. (Though whether or not he's been doing that all along depends on your interpretation of the stories.)

Well, Majora's Mask is suppose to be a Dark Themed game and it does cover it. The whole point of Majora's Mask is suppose to creep you out. Link has the power to go back in time due to the fact that he has the Ocarina of Time. And Skull-kid has a powerful Mask that control's him. "Skull-kid" was controled by the Mask, like a doll. Majora uses "black/dark" magic to also do whatever he want's to do.
And how that cannot be eerie and a dark game to play?
Throughout the story, the Legend of the Mask is suppose to leave a bit of an anonymous message. The Mask control's power that kill's people, and possiblely bring them back to life, and the Mask torement's other character's feelings and emotions.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I'd like to think of Majora's Mask as the black sheep of the Zelda series. Not quite seen as beautiful, but the more you reflect on the game, the more you can see it for what it really is. Perhaps that black sheep's fur will shaved off and a glistening white will replace it. I guess sometimes it takes a certain type of gamer to appreciate Majora's Mask. Needless to say, many fans of the Zelda series have been looking at MM in a different light in the past few years (and that I'm thankful for). I think I speak for everyone when I say that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is not an epic. It's something else entirely. I can't really place my finger on it, but I'd say that MM is more like the abstract Zelda game (if OoT were concrete). Nintendo seemed to be less concerned with creating another straight-forward run-of-the-mill Zelda experience. Just as Prime 2: Echoes was for the Metroid series, Majora's Mask is clearly the odd one out - in a good way.

Moon.jpg

I guess you could think of MM as the dark side of the moon, Ocarina of Time being the visible side. OoT kind of soaked in the glory while MM was hidden in the shadows. Something that compelled me to play the game and makes it special at it's long lived in the shadow of its more popular brother. Now, being the twisted sister game it is, MM yields some rather twisted surprises and elements in the game.​

That weird feeling you're feeling is none other than the strange feeling those who walk the dark side of the Moon feel. In my opinion, it's ectstasy in one of its highest forms.​

G

Gaspra

Despondent. It's an apocalypse replayed continuously, each NPC having a unique backstory and motivation for their actions, each of them trying to come to terms with the fact their lives have seemingly come to naught. I like to think of it as "Groundhog Day" bred with "Omega Man (I am Legend)". It even has zombies! Goodness, now I want to go play it again...

E

evilpancakeman

its certainly an odd feeling....i dont really find it as eerie...but more or less odd.....kind of like if you were stuck in the same nightmare, playing over, and over and over......you go crazy...like its trying to mess with your head :D

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Yeah, MM just messes with your mind and then causes you to have the sudden urge to put on a mask and fear all masks you see. They lurk on you. o.o

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
It is called ominence. The feeling of approaching danger.

In most Zelda games, it's pretty straight forward. There's a bad guy doing bad things who you will eventually have to fight. MM is different is this aspect. Throughout the entire game of MM, you know something is going to happen. You don't know what, but you know something is going to happen. When the game first puts you in Clock Town, Link does not care about saving the land of Termina, he wants to turn back to normal and get his ocarina back. He doesn't even know that the moon is going to fall but eventually he is given various clues to figure it out. Even the music speeds up to let you know "Hey, time's running out." Even if you don't know why it would do that. Then you reach the end of the third day and it's all around you. This is what was going to happen.

This ominous feeling of knowing but not knowing exists all throughout MM. As you travel through the land, you see all sorts of secrets that you know will mean something later. "Why can I aim at a frog but not talk to it?" "Why can't I talk to the blue haired kid wearing a mask?" "What's behind that giant boulder?" Everything is a mystery that must be solved. The music in the land suggests that something is going down, you just have to figure out what.

Everything about MM is a big secret that must be figured out while in other Zelda games everything simply must be explored. That's why it feels so different and eerie. You are not told to save the land as per usual, but for some reason, you know it's in danger.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
MM is definitely a dark game. For one, it deals with several dark themes, including death and misery. It becomes obvious that everyone will die in three days, and yet most of them are ignorant of the apocalypse to come. You are one of the only ones who has come to terms with what will happen, and when time starts running out, MM plays on your mind, making you feel as if you're about to die.

MM also doesn't conform to most Zeldas, so it tends to get overlooked in favour of OoT. But I can agree that MM definitely has a fitting atmosphere for the series!

E

evilpancakeman

In most Zelda games, it's pretty straight forward. There's a bad guy doing bad things who you will eventually have to fight. MM is different is this aspect. Throughout the entire game of MM, you know something is going to happen. You don't know what, but you know something is going to happen. When the game first puts you in Clock Town, Link does not care about saving the land of Termina, he wants to turn back to normal and get his ocarina back. He doesn't even know that the moon is going to fall but eventually he is given various clues to figure it out. Even the music speeds up to let you know "Hey, time's running out." Even if you don't know why it would do that. Then you reach the end of the third day and it's all around you. This is what was going to happen.

This ominous feeling of knowing but not knowing exists all throughout MM. As you travel through the land, you see all sorts of secrets that you know will mean something later. "Why can I aim at a frog but not talk to it?" "Why can't I talk to the blue haired kid wearing a mask?" "What's behind that giant boulder?" Everything is a mystery that must be solved. The music in the land suggests that something is going down, you just have to figure out what.

Everything about MM is a big secret that must be figured out while in other Zelda games everything simply must be explored. That's why it feels so different and eerie. You are not told to save the land as per usual, but for some reason, you know it's in danger.

thats certainly an explanation...yeah it is weird how your not told your "the chosen one, blah, blah, random lengthy cut-scene, blah, blah, im not that owl that always gets in your way *cough*.." its also weird that when i first played the game i saw the moon looked evil...i thought it was going to shoop-da-whoop termina...but i knew something was gonna happen with that mooon.....but what.....just walking outside and killing an enemy feels just odd/ominent?? i dont find it dark as such....but weird...some crack induced fantasy, a haunted mask, murderous pianos, giant enemies that like to eat certain masks but cant digest them and there undesolvable so their left behind...moon wants to rape you...some.weird.giant...things can hold the moon without their hands de-pressurising in space and exploding..
the little things :P

thats certainly an explanation...yeah it is weird how your not told your "the chosen one, blah, blah, random lengthy cut-scene, blah, blah, im not that owl that always gets in your way *cough*.." its also weird that when i first played the game i saw the moon looked evil...i thought it was going to shoop-da-whoop termina...but i knew something was gonna happen with that mooon.....but what.....just walking outside and killing an enemy feels just odd/ominent?? i dont find it dark as such....but weird...some crack induced fantasy, a haunted mask, murderous pianos, giant enemies that like to eat certain masks but cant digest them and there undesolvable so their left behind...moon wants to rape you...some.weird.giant...things can hold the moon without their hands de-pressurising in space and exploding..
the little things :P

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Now I'm going to answer seriously.

MM is definitely a dark game, but I think the reason it feels so ominous is because of the back story and why everything's happening. If you think about it, everything starts out normally with the Skull Kid stealing your horse. Not much to say there. But soon everything takes a terrible turn for the worst when Link is magically transformed into a deku. So why is this? Well obviously it's because of the dark magic inside of Majora's Mask. And I think it's because of this dark magic that there's a dark feeling to it. You're constantly surrounded by monsters possessed or created by evil simply wanting to do harm. There's not much in the bright and cheery department in MM, but there are some highlights. For example, Darling and Honey's game place, or whatever you want to call it. As creepy as it is to be entertaining a pair of lovers while they dance lovingly to a song that you could hear in a carnival, it's not so creepy that you'd be so scared to run away screaming. I think it's one of the instances in the game where you finally get to have a cheery happy moment, instead of a dull and depressing one. But to sum it up, MM will remain a dark game. In fact, it's MM's very darkness that, in my opinion, makes it such a good game.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Majora's Mask... does feel like a nightmare. Not one that's terrifying at face value, but everything about it always seems just that little bit... off to me, and I think that's what does it once you look a little deeper (and wish you hadn't). Maybe (like MC, FE and RP said) it's because it's not your typical "You must save the world, and you will definitely save the world" scenario most of the other Zelda games have, and so from the moment you turn your console on you know it feels different. Nothing's ever certain and it causes you to question yourself, which halts your progress at times. The odd assortment of instruments they use in the background music and the bright, contrasting colours only add to this sense of off-ness... like a rather vivid nightmare. It is difficult to describe... I've always thought it feels akin to a nightmare where think you've woken up, so you get out of bed and suddenly, all the furniture in your room is stacked on the ceiling, and the sky outside is pink and yellow... and when you look back the walls are starting to melt and the shadows all look darker and almost seem to leer at you... but for a second you don't quite realise you're still dreaming, and there's this detached feeling of confusion and vague panic. "What's going on?" "This isn't possible" "What happened to reality"... It's like that. Surreal, I suppose you could call it, and the game oozes it... from the story to the locations to the situations to the way the majority of NPCs deal so calmly with the coming apocalypse.

The oppressive feeling the constantly leering moon creates is also a big part of it, as people have said XDD
I also think the fact you feel like you can't actually save everybody at once also adds something to it... there is no heroic third option where no one suffers and everyone lives. MM forces you to face it at some point... the fact that you only have so much time, and so you have to prioritize on who you're going to help. Are you going to save the monkey and the Deku Princess, and let all the Gorons starve and freeze, and Mikau die alone on the beach, and Anju give up on her lover? Or are you going to stop the snowstorm at Snowhead, and leave the monkey to be burned to death for a crime he never committed, and let little Pamela face yet another day, alone and trapped in a house in the middle of Ikana Valley with only her half-gibdo father for company? Are you going to spend your three days saving Lulu's eggs, while Romani is abducted by Them and no matter how much her sister pleads she no longer remembers her? Every minute you play, the thought of this looms over you... it's your call, but you always know in order to save the majority of people in the end you're always going to have to leave someone to suffer. And you wonder... because you consciously chose not to help someone, to condemn whole cities of innocents death, can you still truly call Link/yourself a "hero"?

That sort of issue's never really been explored in the other games, and it's like the game has a tighter grip on you... almost daring you to make a mistake you'll feel a twinge of guilt about later (because you wasted time and failed to save someone). Or like the game's snatched something from you, and you're subtley aware you're no longer quite in control of everything that's going on in the game... you can only influence it slightly, and only ever one small area at once.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Well...Majoras Mask its definitly the Zelda game in which all hard work or mind wasnt put in (you can say its an extract from OoT) but you definitly feel different.
Why?
because this game is like the little goat. Nobody pays attention to it when you have the big and mighty goat with beautiful horns (lets say this one is OoT). But when you take a deep look into the little goat you can see that HUGE heart it has, and that is exactly what make Majoras Mask an amzing game. The characters you can actually feel what they feel (fear) and thats is what makes it feel odd, in any game you dont usually feel what people in game "feel". You can see and interact with them you can make them better or worse person in 3 days and rewind back to avoid mistakes. You can appreciate how people change when they know the end is neigh.

Also you cant ignore that little goat you feel guilt, ignoring it is like leaving someone to die which in MM there is no way to avoid.

That is what Majoras Mask is..."the little cute goat with the HUGE heart"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom