• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

California Chick-Fil-A Surprise

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I remember when I first joined, I got into a heated discussion in a thread about chick fil a and the CEO's stance on gay marriage. So I thought I should post this.

A California Chick-fil-A did something shocking for same-sex marriage supporters this week: Supported them.
Corey Braun, the franchisee of the Chick-fil-A in the Victoria Gateway Center in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., provided dozens of free meal coupons to a group of same-sex marriage advocates demonstrating Monday at an intersection near the restaurant, PinkNews notes.

The move came months after Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy revealed his anti-gay stance in a July interview, saying he is "guilty as charged" when it comes to his franchise's "support of the traditional family."

"There were a lot of things said over the past year," Braun told the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. "I wanted to show that Chick-fil-A doesn't discriminate against anybody. We serve everyone. We're happy to serve the community and this was an opportunity to have this group come in and show them our hospitality regardless of their beliefs, sexual orientation, or whatever. Chick-fil-A has never been about hate"
Huffington Post

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
I am not at all surprised by this. Chik-fil-A is not discriminatory and it's company president, Dan Cathy, is not enforcing any kind of anti-gay or anti-gay-supporter "laws", he merely stated his stance on how family should be defined back in July. This does not affect in any way how he conducts business and interacts with homosexuals. He does not support denying people service or employment based upon sexual orientation. His stance also does not affect any "franchisees" or how they desire to conduct business. So to have someone decide to support gays is not surprising and I don't see it as some kind of "new message" that the company has not expressed before, just expressed differently.

I also want to say that I am sick of the description of anybody who does not believe that same-sex marriage should be legalized as "anti-gay". It is a completely misleading description. Desiring that marriage be between a man and a woman is not "anti-gay" it is "pro-traditional-family" or something along those lines.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Desiring that marriage be between a man and a woman is not "anti-gay" it is "pro-traditional-family" or something along those lines.
Being "pro-traditional family" is still being pretty discriminatory to homosexuals if they believe they shouldn't get married because they aren't a "traditional family."

A family is a family, same-sex or not.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I boycotted Chick-Fil-A when I learned about the CEO's stance because he didn't just say it was his stance, but the company's belief. I don't want to support a company or even a single person that feels that way, and as such I stopped buying their product and funding his pay check. It's something that I believe I am in the right in doing. I have been told I'm dumb for believing this, but I really don't care.

I also want to say that I am sick of the description of anybody who does not believe that same-sex marriage should be legalized as "anti-gay". It is a completely misleading description. Desiring that marriage be between a man and a woman is not "anti-gay" it is "pro-traditional-family" or something along those lines.
I understand your sentiment, but if you believe that homosexuals aren't allowed to engage in marriage, then you are essentially "anti-gay" in the facet of marriage. I myself desire a traditional marriage, but I also believe that gays should be allowed to marry if they choose. The difference between me and you is that I support the right of someone who is homosexual to get married, and you don't. That's why you are referred to as "anti-gay". That's my only comment on that subject in this thread because that's not this thread's topic.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
Being "pro-traditional family" is still being pretty discriminatory to homosexuals if they believe they shouldn't get married because they aren't a "traditional family."

A family is a family, same-sex or not.
There are many reasons why I am against same-sex marriage, and being unfairly prejudice is not among them. I believe this to be more than just a moral issue, but practical. The whole debate is missing a lot of vital points. I have many very good reasons to oppose it, but that is not what we're here to talk about and I've been part of off-topic discussions far too often. I will not push it.

I boycotted Chick-Fil-A when I learned about the CEO's stance because he didn't just say it was his stance, but the company's belief. I don't want to support a company or even a single person that feels that way, and as such I stopped buying their product and funding his pay check. It's something that I believe I am in the right in doing. I have been told I'm dumb for believing this, but I really don't care.

I understand your sentiment, but if you believe that homosexuals aren't allowed to engage in marriage, then you are essentially "anti-gay" in the facet of marriage. I myself desire a traditional marriage, but I also believe that gays should be allowed to marry if they choose. The difference between me and you is that I support the right of someone who is homosexual to get married, and you don't. That's why you are referred to as "anti-gay". That's my only comment on that subject in this thread because that's not this thread's topic.
I'm going to say that I do not believe you are doing the right thing here. As I said, "Dan Cathy is not enforcing any kind of anti-gay or anti-gay-supporter "laws", he merely stated his stance on how family should be defined back in July. This does not affect in any way how he conducts business and interacts with homosexuals. He does not support denying people service or employment based upon sexual orientation. His stance also does not affect any "franchisees" or how they desire to conduct business." Boycotting the business will not change a man's opinion. The only thing it could change is how he would do business with people, which clearly does not require any change. It is a futile effort, if you ask me. If you desire to continue, then that's fine; just know that it's not going to change anything.

Okay, technically you are correct. I suppose you could call me "anti-gay-in-the-facet-of-marriage" and it could be true, but at the same time I am not hating on any homosexual who wants to get married, I'm merely disagreeing with them. "anti-" gives one the impression that they wholeheartedly disagree and hate something. "Anti-Semitic" implies that one hates Jews. "Anti-gay" implies that one hates gays. It is completely misleading when applied to anyone who disagrees with the LGBT movement. I am pro-life; I disagree with those who are "pro-choice", and yet at the same time, I am not about to entitle them "anti-baby" or "anti-life". It is completely misleading and turns them into the "bad guy".

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is pretty cool...yeah I really do not care. The guy has his own views, why can't he have them? He isn't anti-gay unless he explicitly described himself as such. :I

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
There are many reasons why I am against same-sex marriage, and being unfairly prejudice is not among them. I believe this to be more than just a moral issue, but practical. The whole debate is missing a lot of vital points. I have many very good reasons to oppose it, but that is not what we're here to talk about and I've been part of off-topic discussions far too often. I will not push it.

I'm going to say that I do not believe you are doing the right thing here. As I said, "Dan Cathy is not enforcing any kind of anti-gay or anti-gay-supporter "laws", he merely stated his stance on how family should be defined back in July. This does not affect in any way how he conducts business and interacts with homosexuals. He does not support denying people service or employment based upon sexual orientation. His stance also does not affect any "franchisees" or how they desire to conduct business." Boycotting the business will not change a man's opinion. The only thing it could change is how he would do business with people, which clearly does not require any change. It is a futile effort, if you ask me. If you desire to continue, then that's fine; just know that it's not going to change anything.

Okay, technically you are correct. I suppose you could call me "anti-gay-in-the-facet-of-marriage" and it could be true, but at the same time I am not hating on any homosexual who wants to get married, I'm merely disagreeing with them. "anti-" gives one the impression that they wholeheartedly disagree and hate something. "Anti-Semitic" implies that one hates Jews. "Anti-gay" implies that one hates gays. It is completely misleading when applied to anyone who disagrees with the LGBT movement. I am pro-life; I disagree with those who are "pro-choice", and yet at the same time, I am not about to entitle them "anti-baby" or "anti-life". It is completely misleading and turns them into the "bad guy".
This post has nothing to do with the topic but I thought I should correct a little error within your post.

Jews are not the only semitic people's, arabs and the people living in that region are also semitic. Furthermore, it does not make someone anti semitic if they hate Jews, that's a clever popular mouth piece people like to use.

I do not hate Jews, I do disagree with them on many things though.

As far as the topic goes.

I"d say people are permitted to do and feel as they please. a CEO's stance does not represent everyone that works for him. Anyways, not quite sure this topic is about if you support gay marriage or not but I guess with this kind of discussion it can lead to it.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
For me it's really more of a moral issue. As someone who feels they must stand up for what they believe, I make it a message. Even if I am not publicly known for this act, I at least know that in my heart I've lived by my own standards and morals, and that I haven't strayed from them. That's why I don't eat Chick-Fil-A anymore. You get what I mean?

I get that you don't hate them, but to me it doesn't make sense that you should care enough to actually want them to not marry. My philosophy has always been that I don't care cause I'm not them. They make their choices and I make mine. Still you are entitled to yours so I can't say you're in the wrong as an objective statement, but I don't agree with your opinion in this matter.

Whether one supports gay marriage or not is largely irrelevant because it will inevitably happen, those who oppose it are simply on the wrong side of history.

Austin

Austin
This post has nothing to do with the topic but I thought I should correct a little error within your post.
Ditto!

Jews are not the only semitic people's, arabs and the people living in that region are also semitic.
Regardless of its accuracy the term has come to meant things that are anti-Jewish in nature.

Furthermore, it does not make someone anti semitic if they hate Jews, that's a clever popular mouth piece people like to use.

inb4 dictionaries are a Zionist conspiracy.

I'll be sure to let the collective hive-mind know about your feelings.

It's nice to see people supporting gay marriage.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Ditto!

Regardless of its accuracy the term has come to meant things that are anti-Jewish in nature.

inb4 dictionaries are a Zionist conspiracy.

I'll be sure to let the collective hive-mind know about your feelings.

It's nice to see people supporting gay marriage.
Cool.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle

Jews are not the only semitic people's, arabs and the people living in that region are also semitic. Furthermore, it does not make someone anti semitic if they hate Jews, that's a clever popular mouth piece people like to use.

Anti-Semitism commonly refers to Jews. That's what I was playing from. I'll admit I was not entirely educated on what Semitism means. It doesn't really change much, but it could be helpful information, so thanks.

For me it's really more of a moral issue. As someone who feels they must stand up for what they believe, I make it a message. Even if I am not publicly known for this act, I at least know that in my heart I've lived by my own standards and morals, and that I haven't strayed from them. That's why I don't eat Chick-Fil-A anymore. You get what I mean?

I get that you don't hate them, but to me it doesn't make sense that you should care enough to actually want them to not marry. My philosophy has always been that I don't care cause I'm not them. They make their choices and I make mine. Still you are entitled to yours so I can't say you're in the wrong as an objective statement, but I don't agree with your opinion in this matter.
I disagree, but it's respectable.

I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage | Public Discourse

This highlights a lot of great points I'd agree with. I also feel that there are a lot of negative consequences that could come from this. I'd prefer to to go through them at this time; it takes far to long to explain and defend my points.

@Batman: I find the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's to be different from the LGBT movement for many reasons. I absolutely against the bullying, the refusal of employment, refusal of service etc. based upon sexual orientation, but marriage is different. Of course history may paint those opposed to same-sex marriage as homophobic, intolerant, condescending, immature, oblivious, hatemongering people who do not believe in equality, and although these labels may apply to some, it does not apply to all and history would be wrong to describe everyone so.

Agent Spaghetti said:

This highlights a lot of great points I'd agree with. I also feel that there are a lot of negative consequences that could come from this. I'd prefer to to go through them at this time; it takes far to long to explain and defend my points.
I'm beginning to wonder if you even read that article, because I didn't see a single legitimate piece of support.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy

@Batman: I find the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's to be different from the LGBT movement for many reasons. I absolutely against the bullying, the refusal of employment, refusal of service etc. based upon sexual orientation, but marriage is different. Of course history may paint those opposed to same-sex marriage as homophobic, intolerant, condescending, immature, oblivious, hatemongering people who do not believe in equality, and although these labels may apply to some, it does not apply to all and history would be wrong to describe everyone so.
lolwut

So the basic human rights of respect, a decent job, and common services should be available to those who are gay, but not the basic human right of love and marriage? Interesting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom