• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cadence of Hyrule: Thoughts and Opinions

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I started this game recently and I'm greatly enjoying it. I haven't really heard anyone talk about it much, probably because it's a spinoff and Crypt of the Necrodancer crossover. I figured I'd open a thread here just to see what people think of it in general and part of the Zelda series as a whole. I have no clue how many people here even actually own it bit I'm curious to find out.

I wanted this when it first came out but its too expensive and was waiting for a sale. But now it has a physical so I need to figure out how much I actually want it. Necrodancer is hard, even though I like rhythm games, it's just a sensory overload for me so yeah I dunno if the gameplay is worth it for me.

All I really know about it is that FamilyJules did the soundtrack and thats super cool. He's a renowned video game music cover guy on Youtube and that he got to do official Zelda covers/remixes is really sweet.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I own the base game and DLC both. It's a lot more forgiving than the original necrodancer, which is why I was able to get through it. I tried the original and could barely get through the first level. I actually enjoy cadence of hyrule a lot. The music is groovy, the spritework is really nice, and it's fun and challenging in equal measure. The DLC especially so. It's such a neat twist on Zelda as a spin-off. Great game.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I played CoH when it first game out, and I remember really liking it. Mainly because it was the closest thing to something that actually felt like a Zelda game on the system at the time.

Then when the Skull Kid DLC came out, I played it a little bit and quickly lost interest. Maybe it’s because at that point the LA remake was out and my itch for an actual Zelda game was somewhat satisfied, so I could judge it more clearly.

It’s one of the better Zelda spin-offs for sure, but it’s kinda repetitive for my tastes.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Since this is my thread, I should prooobably put my opinion here.

Firstly, the music is completely awesome. It's kind of required considering it's a rhythm game, but they still did a really good job with it. I like how it takes all the classic zelda songs and just enhances them. The beats are also really easy to pick up on quickly.

Battle wise, I think the fighting style is clever. It feels tricky at first, but as you go through you start to figure out enemies patterns and you get better at predicting their moves. I greatly appreciate that you automatically attack and don't have to swing your sword to the beat.

Can't say much story wise where I'm at right now. There are some other things I like though. I think the death shop is clever, it's a good way not to discourage players in a difficult title. It helps when you get stuck in the spot you died by offering better weapons, and it's good encouragement to actually clear screens and earn diamonds. Sprites are cute. Items are cool. Life is good.

Overall, I quite like this game. Some complaints I have have to do with certain items not being keepable. Having to track down the hover boots whenever you need them can be tedious. Losing your rupees when you die kinda sucks, especially since most shops don't offer much good stuff. Sometimes I get distracted by the awesome music and just stand there instead of actually doing stuff. Otherwise though it's an enjoyable spinoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom