• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Buying Loose Games

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
For those of you who buy used games, how much does a game w/o the case bug you? And if you're buying older games, does it bug you if it comes w/ the game and case but no manual or other inserts? I'm sure this varies from system to system (loose cartridge vs loose disc) but what do you think?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd admittedly picky about used games coming in both pretty solid condition and with the inserts as well. More so for disc-based games than cartridge games though, especially since game carts tend to run very expensive with the box and inserts.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I never buy loose games with the exception of retro cartridge based games that came in disposable cardboard boxes. But I can't stand seeing loose games or generic boxes otherwise. I mean seriously, what the hell do these people do? Shove the case up their ass and then trade in what's left?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I never buy loose games with the exception of retro cartridge based games that came in disposable cardboard boxes. But I can't stand seeing loose games or generic boxes otherwise. I mean seriously, what the hell do these people do? Shove the case up their ass and then trade in what's left?
I got a gamecube disc carrying case when I was younger and put all my games in there and just played around w/ the cases, my mom got annoyed at that and just threw them all away one day since she doesn't care at all about games

there's various situations that can happen w/ kid owned games that end up w/ the cases and stuff missing or thrown away

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm not really a fan of it. I'd want the case as well, even if it's worn. I've been lucky that most disc-based games I've bought used have had their cases with them. I do have some N64 cartridges and GBC and GBA games without their cases though, I guess because they used to be made out of cardboard, thus much more easily destroyed than the plastic cases

When I was a kid I got a used copy of a Hamtaro game (aka the legendary story of me getting this Hamtaro game over the Minish Cap and why I never got to play TMC until I was in high school on 3DS Ambassador), and I was so thrilled about it, I didn't care that it didn't have a case. I think it being a cartridge made it easier to manage without a case, and at that age, I didn't really keep my games in their original boxes, period. My parents usually had me throw away the packaging before DS games introduced them as a more permanent package. I have a lot of homeless games from my childhood as a result of that, even if I was the original owner.

As for now, I don't think I would like a game without a case, or if it came without one, I would give it one. I like shelving my games, and cases make that easier. But it's probably more critical for discs than cartridges as storing them without a case probably poses some risks to damage them. My only used game that was a disc was my Gamecube copy of the Wind Waker and it did indeed include a case. The case is a bit scuffed but it's otherwise in fine condition with the manuals, and I'm glad to have that for such a special game like the Wind Waker.

Overall though, I think it probably depends on how much you want the game and the sacrifices you'd be willing to make to own a physical copy of it. But if it's a really special game, then it feels a bit like an injustice if it doesn't have a case to call home. unless of course its permanent home is inside your console

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
If its a disk game I prefer to have a case but for carts I don't care as much. So far cart wise I only have my Switch cases still as well as very few 3DS/DS ones cuz they look cool.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
gonna bring up manuals again b/c yes, when the last gen did away w/ manuals, that's when I stopped caring about getting games "complete", b/c if the case is just housing the game, then screw it, just let me get the game then, I don't even want the case [also I REALLY dislike the switch case spines, all that red and flat titles]

my 6th and 7th gen games I do want everything included, but I'm not opposed to getting loose games, especially if it's noticeably cheaper, though it does bug me to some degree sometimes

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
While I probably wouldn't buy a loose game from any of the more modern consoles, I'd be willing to shell out money for something on the DS, SNES, or Genesis that comes without the box.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I don't mind not having the case on most games. As long as I can play the game I'm set. But I currently have a goal of getting the original case and cartridge for every Zelda game. When my parents bought me Phantom Hourglass it came without the case, so they ended buying it and the inserts separately since they knew I'd want them. If I had gotten the game minus case I would've been fine, but I would have gotten it for myself eventually anyway.

I prefer to have the correct boxes/art for the games I get. Easier to find the games I want when I pull them out of my box.
However if a game was really cheap and loose and I really wanted it, I would probably give in. I would buy an empty case for it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom