• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Button Bashers: The World of Fighting Games

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Ever since recently, fighting games have had a massive increase in popularity. Games like Guilty Gear, Persona 4 Arena, Smash Bros., Killer Instict, and Street Fighter are ramping up the popularity tenfold after a long drought.

So what do you think of fighting games? What are some of your favourites? Are there any particular mechanics you really like? What's your overall playstyle?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Fighting games remain the one genre of games I'm not really interested in. I do enjoy Smash Bros, though very disappointed with the most recent one, and recently I played Killer Instinct on the Xbox One a little bit, but a fighting game hasn't really held my interest since PS1 days, and I think they only did then because we had hardly any games. Only other one I remember playing recently was Skull Girls on Steam.

I remember playing a lot of Tekken 3, and Soul Blade (Soul Edge in US I think), which were fantastic games, but that's pretty much it. Just not a genre that holds my attention for long, and I've given it ample opportunity to do so! It has failed me. :(

I've never been the type that's into button-mashers, preferring the more technical, skill oriented fighting games more. Air-dashers like Guilty Gear and Daemon Bride have held my interest for the longest time for this very reason. Button mashing is not recommended in these games, as they tend to require a lot of practice and skill. Doing so against a skilled opponent will surely lead to a quick and, oftentimes, embarrassing defeat.

That's why I don't take games like Super Smash Bros. Melee seriously as a fighting game. In my humble opinion, it's just a party game whose mechanics are highly exploitable. Any seemingly technical, complex fighting game mechanics it seems to have are entirely accidental, and were not intended by the developers of the game. It's just a bona fide button-masher. Brawl returned to the series' roots, in kind.

Button-mashers, in my opinion, have no place in the competitive scene. Fortunately, they seem to be a dying breed.

I play the **** outta some Skullgirls. It's easily my favorite fighting game (though I haven't been playing them very long). I play Filia for rushdown and Fukua for more rushdown. I suck with technical characters and I'm no good at charge inputs. People who can string together lots of specials and stay the hell in there with minimal effort are the only characters I'm able to do much with. Filia's airdash is my love.

I play the **** outta some Skullgirls. It's easily my favorite fighting game (though I haven't been playing them very long). I play Filia for rushdown and Fukua for more rushdown. I suck with technical characters and I'm no good at charge inputs. People who can string together lots of specials and stay the hell in there with minimal effort are the only characters I'm able to do much with. Filia's airdash is my love.
(lol) You my friend are my spiritual mentor. There's no way in heck I can mash buttons and win in a CPU difficulty level match above 'Normal'—much less competitively. Even with rushdown chars like Skullgirls' Fillia or the aforementioned Guilty Gear's Millia Rage–there has to be some sort of method to my madness in order for me to win (learning the latter char's midscreen game isn't necessarily a walk in the park). They might appear to require minimal technical skill to win a match, but easy-to-pick-up and/or rushdown chars do require skill nonetheless.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I pretty much gave up at Super Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat 2

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ever since recently, fighting games have had a massive increase in popularity. Games like Guilty Gear, Persona 4 Arena, Smash Bros., Killer Instict, and Street Fighter are ramping up the popularity tenfold after a long drought.

So what do you think of fighting games? What are some of your favourites? Are there any particular mechanics you really like? What's your overall playstyle?

I am a soulcalibur man. Loved 5 though the story was lacking, the actual gameplay was refined and fun. There are a few playstyles I am good at. I have played 200 hours of SC 5 alone and I have played its predecessors also. I have become quite proficient at multiple styles due to the large amount of time I have played for. My favourite character styles are Nightmare, Seigfried Astaroth and Cervantes.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I am a soulcalibur man. Loved 5 though the story was lacking, the actual gameplay was refined and fun. There are a few playstyles I am good at. I have played 200 hours of SC 5 alone and I have played its predecessors also. I have become quite proficient at multiple styles due to the large amount of time I have played for. My favourite character styles are Nightmare, Seigfried Astaroth and Cervantes.

Soul Calibur is a personal favourite of mine, 2 being my favourite. I mained Mitsurugi and Cassandra in that game, and was the best player out of all my friends.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Soul Calibur is a personal favourite of mine, 2 being my favourite. I mained Mitsurugi and Cassandra in that game, and was the best player out of all my friends.
2 was the game that introduced me to the series, I enjoyed how the story was handled in that one and found the newer games haven't lived up in that regard. I am good with Spawn in that one as well as Cervantes. I found Raphael was a good one as well back then but they seem to have nerfed him considerably in the newer games.

Soul Calibur II was an awesome game, and I owned the Gamecube version that Link guest starred in. He wasn't my main, though; hell, he wasn't even one of my subs, though I found him to be the easiest of the three guest characters to pick up. He may have been dubbed 'King of Ring Outs' back then, but that's only because of how broken he was. Many of his moves had dragon punch-esque qualities that made for easy R.O.s. One my favorite moves of his is the 'high launcher'→bow follow-up—made for the most epic R.O.s.

Oh yeah, I mained Kilik/Taki, subbed Talim. Man, I miss those guys.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
My all time favorite fighting game is Dead or Alive.

Yes, laugh all you want. I play this game for the story and not the boobs. (okay maybe just a little for the boobs whatever)

It just has great characters and I love seeing the relationship between all of them and how fighting brought them together from all over the world. *feels*

Badjacoon

Corn fused
I'm glad someone brought up Soul Calibur!
I have played a ton of different fighting games over the years, and haven't found one yet that can hold up to SC. It is by far the best as far as balance, tech. skill needed and overall fun. Great graphics even in the earlier games. SCII is one of the only games I still play on my GC, along with Mario Strikers.

SCII I go with 1) Talim 2) Yoshimitsu 3) Maxi and a little bit of everyone else. Except I never got good with the bigger guys Nightmare, Asteroth etc.

I hope they come out with a new one for the U!! Anyone know if this is in the works??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom