• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bringing non-canon characters into canon

Lemme start with asking what do you think of Broly.
Do you think he's cool? Or do you think he's overrated?
Doesn't matter, since he's going to be the Big Bad in the upcoming Dragonball Super Movie, written by Akira Toriyama himself, giving him a new backstory and making him canon.

This isn't uncommon with fictional characters. Harley Quinn was created for Batman The Animated Series but was popular enough to be put in comics.

We've seen mangas and comics based on Zelda, and Hyrule Warriors is a non-canon installment. There is always an original character added in.

So the Broly thing got me thinking, what would happen if the Zelda team decide to make a character introduced out of canon and make a canon counterpart?

I know the prioritize gameplay over everything else, but let's say hypothetically they take a popular non-canon character and make them canon.

Who would you pick and how would you insert them into canon?

None of them.

The OCs in the mangas aren't worth talking about and the Hyrule Warriors OCs felt like knock offs of characters that already exist;

Wizzro- Vaati
Cia- Veran
Lana- Nayru/Saria
Volga- rejected Final Fantasy concept art

Until a decent OC appears i dont think any of the ones we have should be brought into canon.

When I first saw Lana in the early art for Hyrule Warriors, the blue hair made me kind of hope/suspect it was some tribute to Akira Himekawa's original character, Ghanti, from the A Link to the Past manga, since it would have been the perfect place to do so. But it wasn't. She would have been a much more interesting character than Lana, in my opinion, but neither of them were particularly fleshed out. The manga footnotes from Akira Himekawa themselves acknowledged that the two of them would be thrilled if the Zelda team ever decided to acknowledge their character in a game at some point, but Ghanti doesn't have a place in the main games at all. Hyrule Warriors was an opportunity for it, but it had its own lazy OCs instead, so whatever.

I don't really think Zelda needs to feature non-canon characters in the canon games, though, because a lot of canon main characters are one-hit wonders, and it would be a bit awkward to receive an encore for a non-canon character over a canon one.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
As much as I liked Lana, I’m not crazy about her being in a main game. She has her role as the Overseer in HW and I feel like it’d be hard to bring her into the main series without that; unless they just changed her character a bit. I don’t think I’d mind that, but it wouldn’t feel the same.

However, I REALLY want Linkle to be in a main game. She’s such a fun and good character and she would make a great companion to join Link on his adventure. I want a game where they fight and solve puzzles together similar to ST. That would make me very happy. haters dont interact yall are crusty losers with bad taste

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As much as I liked Lana, I’m not crazy about her being in a main game. She has her role as the Overseer in HW and I feel like it’d be hard to bring her into the main series without that; unless they just changed her character a bit. I don’t think I’d mind that, but it wouldn’t feel the same.

However, I REALLY want Linkle to be in a main game. She’s such a fun and good character and she would make a great companion to join Link on his adventure. I want a game where they fight and solve puzzles together similar to ST. That would make me very happy. haters dont interact yall are crusty losers with bad taste

God no Linkle is just trash man, it's a female link. Only reason for it to appear in a main game is if they ever gave us a chance to swap genders.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
She’s literally not though, she’s a separate entity and a damn good one.

She's a chicken tender literally a cucco keeper, she is links mortal nemesis. IF they do bring her back she'd be the main villain due to the chickens. But they won't cuz she's a knock of link to satisfy the "LINK NEEDS TO HAVE GENDER OPTIONS!" crowd.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Volga! They should have taken the opportunity to make HW canon and explain some of the mysteries of OOT which SS was supposed to have done! Volga would be a good precursor to Volvagia and could be involved in an OOT prequel.

He looked cool and I would like to see him in the canon.

Silly hyperbolic reactions like this make me laugh. Really? We get one Dragonrider Volga as a dungeon boss or something and that'll be enough to make you 'peace out' of the entire series? Okay.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Silly hyperbolic reactions like this make me laugh. Really? We get one Dragonrider Volga as a dungeon boss or something and that'll be enough to make you 'peace out' of the entire series? Okay.

Volga i've personally no issues with because A) he'd actually add to the game (namely on why lizalfos are so weapon ready) and :cool: he isn't some genderswapped cucco trainer with delusions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom