• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Bricklayer (experimental Original Comic)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Another attempt at an idea I've played around with before. I think I've discovered the art style I want for it. This is an original comic, monochrome foreground (in pencil) with backgrounds of various colors. As of starting this post, I've done the first two pages and they're in the "red" chapter.

I've tried writing this thing up as a short story and it kind of wanted to be a comic - or at least, I wanted to play around with the visual elements and see if I could make it some kind of highly unusual comic/webcomic for my site. (Tip: Don't ever get web-hosting from GoDaddy unless you can stand advertising in your face as you search for wherever they hid the FTP this time everytime you want to update your page or store files. GAAAAH!)

Bricklayer is about a fortified city where people have a tradition of stripping the bones of their dead and using them to build an inner wall as a memorial. They don't have a lot of space for burial and some eccentric family long ago started this as an art project that successive generations saw fit to continue. The wall serves as a memento mori for the entire town and is a beloved way to honor their fallen. The people who take up the sacred duty of preparing remains for the wall, however, are a marginalized group. (Few volunteer for the job - they are forced into the position due to poverty / family status). In addition to being looked down upon by their own people, visiting outsiders tend to see the entire city as a quaint, pitiable, superstitious lot. One young journalist sets out to really try to understand the Bricklayers on their own terms, which is where our story begins.

Links to comic pages will take you to where they are stored on my current domain / webspace. While not brutal or violent in the traditional manner, there is some disturbing imagery in regards to "this story deals with dead things."

Page 1: http://www.senordwall.com/BricklayerPage1small.jpg

Page 2: http://www.senordwall.com/BricklayerPage2small.jpg

Laid up in Corel - which I hate. Well, not hate, but I don't like it nearly as much as I do Photoshop. (Unfortunately, my computer with Photoshop on it is unstable and I'm trying to force myself to like Corel again). This may account for why there's so many artifacts in the jpg - either that or I need to try saving a larger file (I thought it would be too enormous at 150 dpi and went with the piddly 72 dpi you see). I may upload my large files to my Deviant Art space.

- The winged skeleton-cat has some significance, which will probably be explained on page 3 or 4.

- If you are seeing things in the clouds, congrats. A friend of mine recently started discovering "hidden messages" in the stylized clouds I've been drawing/painting on several of my pieces, seeing letters and stuff that I never intended. I'm now trying to put some *actual* hidden messages in clouds. Of course, I showed him the ones pictured here and he couldn't read them! (People will find things where you do not intend and will not get the messages you actually create... such is an artist's life, I suppose).

Will update upon completing new pages if anyone is interested and this thread doesn't wither and die. My various ideas for this comic are pretty much of a psychological / philosophical / spiritual ramble and I plan to keep it as a sci-fi/fantasy-ish feeling thing that is realistic enough to actually happen (the premise is based on real things such as the Paris Catacombs and this weird bone-church in Europe).

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
You and your bone/skull...obsession? Maybe interest is a better word...

Anyway I think the story concept is very intriguing. It makes sense that they would have to find some way to do that if they didn't have a lot of space. But if it were me, I'd just cremate...that will take up even less space. Urns with ashes in them are a lot smaller than a big wall of bones. I'm reminded of my late grandfather who thought christmas decorations on gravestones was ridiculous and said if we did that when he died, he would haunt us lol. Needless to say we don't and never will. I wonder what he would think of this?

That being said, continue.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
There are some interestingly-decorated graves in the cemetery beside my residence. There is this one - the grave of a girl who died at age 17 a few years ago, by what's on her stone.... hoo boy. She has, among other things, a plaster Uncle Sam on her grave... and that's just year-round. This Halloween, I was talking a walk and saw her grave draped in cotton-wadding (cobwebs) and with all kinds of lights and flashing things on it, and when I got close to it, a motion-sensing device that let out a witch-cackle. I SH*T YOU NOT. I immediately came back inside and got my guy and said "Come see the graveyard, you have to see this to believe it!"

People in my life know that I will friggin' haunt them if they do that to me. Even if it turns out there's no afterlife after all, I'll FIND A WAY.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
That's crazy lol. My grandpa wanted to be buried under a tree, we did that...I don't know anything about the person who had christmas lights on their gravestone, how old they were or etc, all I know is that Grandpa thought it was REALLY stupid. I agree with him, but I'm sure some people wouldnt mind it, like if they loved decorations or a certain holiday, they might even ask for it. In that case, their family is doing the right thing.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Finally got some more pages up - in glorious purple!

http://www.senordwall.com/bricklayer5.html
http://www.senordwall.com/bricklayer6.html
http://www.senordwall.com/bricklayer7.html
http://www.senordwall.com/bricklayer8.html

The "Axxel" of this comic has nothing to do with our own Axel the Beast. If you'll notice, the characters in the Bricklayers' group have names like execution devices and methods. The guy with "ax" in his name works closely with the guile man whose name is derived from "guillotine." Then, there are the Lynches, stake (as in burned by), stone (as in stoning), Crucia (crucifixion - not religious, it just was a popular killing method in centuries past), and "Sparky" is after "Ol' Sparky" - a nickname for the electric chair. Some genius-bonus on his real name, too.

Last edited:
Aha, clever, with Sparky's real name. Tesla and Edison, right? Not to mention the rest of them, they're all creative. I can admire that kind of ingenuity when naming characters. Well, done, indeed.

With that minor compliment out of the way, I have a bigger one. I'm in love with this comic. Desperately in love. The mere premise of the Bricklayers is fascinating enough, but I'm already pulled in by the art style and story itself. By all means, continue it, I'll be reading diligently!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Aha, clever, with Sparky's real name. Tesla and Edison, right? Not to mention the rest of them, they're all creative. I can admire that kind of ingenuity when naming characters. Well, done, indeed.

With that minor compliment out of the way, I have a bigger one. I'm in love with this comic. Desperately in love. The mere premise of the Bricklayers is fascinating enough, but I'm already pulled in by the art style and story itself. By all means, continue it, I'll be reading diligently!

Nikolai Alva, yep. He has those headphones in his ears because he loves classic rock, particularly AC/DC. (Derp!!!!)

I'm a bit slow on doing what I want with it because it's actually proving to be kind of a bear to make. First, I decided that I wanted to do everything in monochrome with cut-out drawings, so I make the drawings fairly randomly, clip them out, scan them against a black background and then figure out how I want to arrange them. (I like working freeform like that, but it's different than just getting out the tablet and just drawing something). Then, well, I'm working with CorelPhotopaint, WHICH I HATE. If you go to my Deviant Art site right now, I have a huge rant about how much I hate it after it ate my original Page 7 and I had to do everything over again. My guy is trying to set me up with Photoshop on one of our machines that *doesn't* have a constantly crashing hard drive, but for the time being, I am working with Corel and I just plain dislike the program.

The backgrounds are semi-antique drawing ink. I raided my guy's old art supplies again. As soon as he rediscovers something he had stored away, does he get to use it? NOOOO. I hijack it. He doesn't work traditional much anymore, anyway, so, nya. I'm planning some backgrounds in metallic paint and even have a "cardboard chapter" in mind. (I have an idea for a child character townsperson who likes to pretend to fly on cardboard wings).

Some of this is scripted, most is in my head. I have no ultimate ending in mind for it, so it may just go on forever, particularly if enough people pay attention to it. When I get enough pages, do you think I should try slapping it on one of those webcomics sites? Like Keenspot or something?

Nikolai Alva, yep. He has those headphones in his ears because he loves classic rock, particularly AC/DC. (Derp!!!!)

I'm a bit slow on doing what I want with it because it's actually proving to be kind of a bear to make. First, I decided that I wanted to do everything in monochrome with cut-out drawings, so I make the drawings fairly randomly, clip them out, scan them against a black background and then figure out how I want to arrange them. (I like working freeform like that, but it's different than just getting out the tablet and just drawing something). Then, well, I'm working with CorelPhotopaint, WHICH I HATE. If you go to my Deviant Art site right now, I have a huge rant about how much I hate it after it ate my original Page 7 and I had to do everything over again. My guy is trying to set me up with Photoshop on one of our machines that *doesn't* have a constantly crashing hard drive, but for the time being, I am working with Corel and I just plain dislike the program.

The backgrounds are semi-antique drawing ink. I raided my guy's old art supplies again. As soon as he rediscovers something he had stored away, does he get to use it? NOOOO. I hijack it. He doesn't work traditional much anymore, anyway, so, nya. I'm planning some backgrounds in metallic paint and even have a "cardboard chapter" in mind. (I have an idea for a child character townsperson who likes to pretend to fly on cardboard wings).

Some of this is scripted, most is in my head. I have no ultimate ending in mind for it, so it may just go on forever, particularly if enough people pay attention to it. When I get enough pages, do you think I should try slapping it on one of those webcomics sites? Like Keenspot or something?

Ha, I certainly sympathize with taking his stuff--I think I'll end up doing the same to my poor future partner. And I definitely understand your struggle with paint programs. Good luck with that.

That aside, I love those ideas, and I'd be lying if I said I'd mind if it went on forever. Yes, you most definitely should upload them on a comic site.

Just wanted to say I've been following this on deviantART and enjoying it quite a bit. It's a really interesting concept and world so far, Shaddlez! I'm sorry I haven't commented on dA at all; I've been trying to get through a horrendous backlog of notifications so I haven't really been commenting on anything. xP I'd love to see more of this and I hope you keep making them! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom