• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of the Wild Wii U [EU] v1.0.0- Technical Gripes

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hello,

I have played six hours of BOTW so far and the game is a **** ton of fun, it's literally as if they blended every western RPG ever made with Zelda. But there are massive technical gripes with the Wii U version as of v1.0

Frames Drops, Frame Drops Everywhere
The game probably runs at a silky smooth 29-30fps most of the time; I don't have a real frame rate measuring device handy. However, the moment literally anything happens on screen whether it's particle effects from smoke or even three buhKAWblins showing up, the frame rate takes a huge hit down the teens. It's a pain in the ass. You'll feel it most when dragging the camera, but the irritation is the same regardless.

Autosave instead of save slots
Yeah, this isn't a HUGE deal but jesus christ I miss making saves. You CAN save manually, but you get a single save slot unless you make multiple accounts which, let's be honest here, nobody is going to do.

On Death, you continue at last (auto)save just like every JRPG ever
I don't know, maybe they can't store certain locations in RAM thanks to Wii U's ****ty hardware, but damn I also miss being able to continue at a location relatively close to my last death. They DO leave a red X on screen saying R.I.P indicating your last death, but it matters not because it's almost always too ****ing far from last autosave.

For example, SPOILERS AHEAD
I went off to Hyrule Castle on my 3HC NANU run (don't do it, it's ****ing ********) and I got wrecked by guardians and Malice Lizalfos.
Like ten times I had to run back from Outpost Ruins instead of being saved right outside Hyrule Castle gates.

So these are the biggest complaints, don't forget to leave a like comment and subscribe

Last edited:

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
Sad to hear about no multiple save slots. But actually I do have multiple accounts (1 for me, 2 others for my kids) so I am glad there is at least that option because I know they will want to play and I'd like to let them without ruining my game.

Thanks for the info.

Liked.

Subscribed.

Aww. One save slot...

What happens when we're done with that file, want to play again but dont want to lose all our original progress?

I wondered if the auto saves would be an issue, especially with death being a frequent thing.

Not surprising about the dips, i hope they arent as bothersome in the Switch version.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Aww. One save slot...

What happens when we're done with that file, want to play again but dont want to lose all our original progress?

I wondered if the auto saves would be an issue, especially with death being a frequent thing.

Not surprising about the dips, i hope they arent as bothersome in the Switch version.
this, i wanna have multiple files

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oh, one last gripe - if you use gamepad audio, the TV does not output audio. This is bad for people like me who record the stuff but also don't want to kill my neighbors with my TV audio. :'(

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Aww. One save slot...

Maybe there will be a new game plus which acts as another save file?
You use another account(which is extremely easy to do in the Switch version). It actually forces you to choose which account you want to use each time you start the game.

Wii U it's a little bit of a pain, and a minor convenience.

As far as I'm aware, everything other than (most) save files is shared between all users on a Wii U... so that would include any DLC.

As for the Switch... by the sounds of it, if the person who bought the DLC remains signed in to their account on a console, then all other accounts on that console will have access to the DLC as well (but you will likely only be able to sign in to one console at a time)... that's based off what some leaked developer documents said about how the accounts work.

As far as I'm aware, everything other than (most) save files is shared between all users on a Wii U... so that would include any DLC.
I read it's not the same on the Switch due to specific user accounts of the console. From what I read you can have different accounts linked to different world regions on the same console. So you can have access to different region eShops, if you relog into the correct user account set up for the eShop you want to visit. But however what you say does make more sense. So we have a conflict of information here. We will have to wait till someone gets the Switch and tests this out to actually know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom