• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Timeline Theory and Ideas

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Wind Walker's plot suggests there is no hero of time to return after OOT, thus the great flood.

I dont know how to make it much more clear than I did in that thread I linked. I explained why there would be a Link of that era. All you have said to argue against it is Wind Wakers plot suggests no hero saved the land from flooding and Im not arguing against that. A game taking place in between OOT and WW would not end with Link saving the land from flooding. It would absolutey end in a flood. Having a bittersweet ending (The people are saved to live on the mountaintops but their homes and land are gone) not unheard of in the Zelda series, for instance in TP where Midna shatters the mirror and leaves Link behind. It is pretty sad.

Despite the flood it does not mean the Link of this era did nothing heroic or noteworthy enough to get him a game. And his existence whilst not yet confirmed is certainly possible, though I would go as far to say necessary. Why did there have to be a Link of this era? For starters, for Ganons demon tribe to be sealed in time in Wind Waker and the master sword to be located where it is (In Hyrule Castle not the Temple of Time) there must have been a Link to move it there and bring about the seal (because only Link can actually have moved it + at the end of OOT the master sword is shown to be in the Temple of Time NOT Hyrule Castle) Therefore a game in between OOT and WW can happen with that link as a protagonost. Which goes against your statement that no game can occupy that timeline slot.

Last edited:

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
I'll be honest, I really hope they have this game at the end of a timeline. I think they should be prgressing the chronology forward for once instead of always trying to cram games in between other existing games, because I really don't want to already know what's going to happen 100 years in the 'future.'
I don't know Metalwolf, if they keep putting out game after game in an chronological order then that would limit their creativity, I mean we have the branching timelines for a reason.

That said, there is nothing preventing them from building a new ToT. There is nothing stopping it from being wrecked either after a long period of prosperity, making it look aged after enough time has passed. (Even it is known that there were other abandoned ToTs.)
I think that's a little less likely to happen. I always feel that in the Zelda games they always have the temple of time for a purpose. In Skyward Sword the reason why they build the temple of time of the Lanayru province was because it houses one of the Gates of Time. After the era of chaos the reason why they build the temple of time near Hyrule Castle was to keep the complete Triforce hidden in the Sacred Realm from anyone else who might get their hands on it. See it always has a purpose, and if that purpose is not met then the temple will be lost in time and forgotten. That's why we don't see a new temple of time near Hyrule Castle in Twilight Princess and Four Swords Adventures, because after Ocarina of Time in child timeline Zelda, the Royal Family, and Rauru pretty much knows that the complete Triforce has split from the Sacred Realm with the pieces of the Triforce going to their respective owners. And when the old Hyrule Castle was destroyed and the new one was built, there was no point in rebuilding another temple of time because they had nothing important enough than the Triforce to protect and hide. The same can be said about the downfall timeline, with Ganon having the complete Triforce in the Sacred Realm/Dark World there was no point in rebuilding the temple of time, or any other temple of time for that matter. Even if they build another temple of time, I doubt it would look the same as the one from Ocarina of Time.

**** the timeline, it doesn't exist.
Zant, Ghirahim, Ganon party ftw

tumblr_ncw5k0SPuH1qcivrbo1_r1_500.gif

**** the timeline, it doesn't exist.
Zant, Ghirahim, Ganon party ftw

There's always been a timeline.

AoL was a direct sequel to LoZ, made obvious ingame.
ALttP was a prequel to LoZ, as per the box, and the fact that the backstory went into depth on the origin of Ganon, the Triforce, and the MS.
LA took place after Ganon was defeated by a Link, and the DX siteshows the final battle from ALttP.
OoT was a prequel to ALttP, confirmed by many interviews.
MM is an obvious direct sequel to OoT.
OoX had some allusions to LA, such as the last scene of the linked ending.
FS was at the time the earliest game, as confirmed by Aonuma.
TWW was confirmed to be hundreds of years after OoT by Aonuma, and made obvious in game.
TMC was an obvious prequel to FS.
TP was also confirmed by Aonuma to be hundreds of years after OoT.
PH was an obvious direct sequel to TWW.
ST was 100 years after PH.
SS was the beginning of everything.
ALBW is an obvious sequel to ALttP that takes place a long time after it, as confirmed by Trinen, Aonuma and made obvious ingame.
TFH is a direct sequel to ALBW, confirmed by a NoA tweet and made obvious in an interview and by a NoJ tweet that had the HH plus the 3DS games and where they fit.

All of these are recognized in the official timeline.

I don't know why so many people deny the existence of a timeline still, when the evidence was already there.

Anyway, my theory on the placement of BotW is:

DT: OoT-ALttP/OoX/LA-ALBW/TFH-BotW-LoZ/AoL

-Hyrule is barren like in the LoZ, and E3 had people who work at Nintendo going on about the similarities if I recall correctly, not to mention that there seems to be no mention of Ganondorf's human form in sight; as a matter of fact, Calamity Ganon bears more of a resemblance to his pig form, and someone mentions in the demo that if the beast regains his true power, Hyrule will be ruined. This may mean that Calamity Ganon is beast Ganon trying to regain his full power by finding a shell or something else, which would make sense if it's on the DT, as Ganon seems to have lost his Gerudo form permanently on that line, only being a beast. While Hyrule is barren like in LoZ, the HH says that LoZ/AoL Link is the ''Last Hero'', meaning that it may take place before it, showing a transition between the imperfect, yet stable Hyrule seen in ALttP and ALBW, and the wrecked Hyrule in the NES games.

-The MS is in a forest like in the DT and CT branch, but there doesn't seem to be room for a game in the CT since OoT Ganon dies for good on the CT in TP, and FSA Ganon is sealed in the FS not HC. Also, neither ALBW or TP have the MS rotting, which would place BotW at a later date, when it's reduced to being at it's weakest yet on the DT or CT[although due to the lack of room, I'm going with the DT, although with a bit of extra speculation and backstory, the CT could be a possibility]

-The AT is almost impossible IMO, due to the fact that BotW is implicitly Old Hyrule, the fact that the MS still exists despite being left at the bottom of the sea in TWW and being in a forest like in the CT and DT. The Koroks can be explained by the idea that since the Kokiri are spirits of the forest, that they can take on any shape they want, and the Deku Tree in TWW even said that they ''took on'' Human forms long ago, meaning that the Kokiri may not even be their real form. The sea salt reference to an ancient sea can be explained by the Sand Sea in SS.

-Pre OoT is even more impossible, due to the existence of Ganon and the wrecked Hyrule.

Last edited:
My theory is that it takes place after The Adventure of Link. I think this because the villian is Calamity Ganon, and in Zelda II, the game over screen shows an image of a shadowy Ganon which looks similar in appearance to Calamity Ganon.

So, I think that Breath of the Wild may still take place after Skyward Sword. There is so much that we’ve seen already that doesn’t make sense for it to be in one of the three branched timelines. It’s like they’ve literally taken bits from multiple games and combined it into one. I jotted down a list of my ideas I had about the timeline placement, and I thought I'd share and get your guy's opinion.
  • With the Goddess Hylia and the Sheikah taking such a major role again, and the heavy influence of technology, it really makes me feel like this will be set after Skyward Sword, since the further into the future a timeline gets, the less relevant Hylia and the Sheikah are, and the more medieval it becomes, rather than advanced.
  • The Sheikah were the only humans left on the surface before Skyward Sword, so it’d make sense that they were the ones who protected the land, like the Old Man states, and why there are still so many of them in the shrines, and potentially throughout Hyrule, if this is still set in a time before Impa becomes the last of the Sheikah.
  • At the end of Skyward Sword, it has the Master Sword being shown in the Sealed Temple surrounded by the forest of Faron Woods, resting in a similar pedestal to that which was shown in the Breath of the Wild trailer. The Sealed Temple could have completely decayed by the time of Breath of the Wild, as it already had started in Skyward Sword.
  • Calamity Ganon could be the first incarnation of Ganon, literally being the hatred of Demise in a more spiritual form. The color scheme of The Imprisoned matches very closely to that of Calamity Ganon. A lot of people say that the Ganon in Ocarina of Time is the first appearance of Ganon, and that is true so far, but that could be after the spiritual form of Ganon gets a physical host in a human, and why that human gets named Ganondorf.
  • What if this Link is Hylia’s Chosen Hero from before Skyward Sword brought back to life by the Sheikah? I don’t think it said Link was asleep for 100 years, just that Calamity Ganon appeared 100 years ago. That could be why he awakens from the Chamber of Resurrection and he seems to already know how to fight, why he’s right handed (since he’s not a previously lefty Link), and the voice in his head is could actually be Hylia. It could also be why his name is oficially Link in the game as well, if that was the name of the Chosen Hero. Maybe that’s why the Sheikah monks say they are testing those who are trying to become the hero? Maybe that’s how Hylia’s original hero was chosen?
  • Originally, Link had the Goddess Sailcloth, which would tie directly to Skyward Sword. Maybe you still get it in the game, but later, as it is tied into the story and they didn't want to spoil that in the demo?
  • In Skyward Sword, the Faron Woods get's flooded, which could be why there are puddles and ponds throughout the wooded area of Hyrule, rather than the great flood in Wind Waker, like many people suggest.
And, I think that's it. I don’t know, I just have a bunch of thoughts, and it seems like there is A LOT linking it to Skyward Sword that people seem to be intentionally ignoring? (also, this is my first ever forum post, so I am sorry if I did it wrong)
Bb
My theory is that Botw link is the link from Ocarina of time and Majoras mask and the whole theory revolves around the temple of time. The temple of time appears in only Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild. Skyward sword being the first game in the series automatically rules out this link being before that game. The next time we see the temple of time is in Ocarina of time where it is in very good looking condition. After Oot we next see the temple in the child era in Twilight Princess where the temple is destroyed and almost unrecognizable to what it looked like in Oot. I think that Botw is before Tp and after Majoras Mask because The temple in Botw still looks somewhat like it did in Oot but slightly broken down due to maybe a war. And link in Botw looks slightly older than the link from Majoras mask probably because he has been asleep for 100 years, not dead, and has been awoken to fight the Ganon he was not in Hyrule to fight during Majoras mask. Also Oot is the first time Ganon ever appears in the Zelda timeline so this Calamity Ganon must be the result of Ganondorf Trying to take hyrule without a hero to stop him, so the seven sages seal him in a new hyrule castle far away from the old and now broken temple of time, then he brakes out of the seal but can't leave the castle as seen in Botw. This theroy also could show why Hyrule castle is so far away from the ruins of the temple of time in Twilight Princess, Because they moved it between Majoras mask and Botw.
I think it takes place after ww aftr the great sea has receded as there are some items like the salt which says it was from a sea

Bb
I think it takes place after ww aftr the great sea has receded as there are some items like the salt which says it was from a sea

That could be easily explained as in SS, it states the Desert Province used to be a massive sea years ago.

That could be easily explained as in SS, it states the Desert Province used to be a massive sea years ago.
Yes I have heard that but that was the first game in the entire series and ,to my knowledge, there has never been a mention of salt in any of the other games

The place that the salt is found in BoTW doesnt match up with where SS's was geographically.

So? Hyrule has never been 100% consistent when it comes to geography.

The AT is actually the least likely place for BotW out of the three branches, when you consider the existence of the MS, the ToT, connections to Hylia, Ganon, etc. that link it to Old Hyrule. A lot would have to be retconned for it to fit on the AT, and Koroks[which could be explained by it being their original form and/or taking on this form for other reasons on another branch, as the GDT in TWW implies that the Kokiri weren't their original form] and the ancient sea[which could really be any sea] are the only pieces of evidence, and those aren't very solid.

I'm still going with the DT, but upon reading the quote where Aonuma strongly implies that it's 100 years after OoT, I'm placing it between OoT and ALttP with the same Link as OoT over my original placement[long after the 3DS games and a long time before the NES games], with this being the sealing of Ganon into the SR before the IW.

So? Hyrule has never been 100% consistent when it comes to geography.

The AT is actually the least likely place for BotW out of the three branches, when you consider the existence of the MS, the ToT, connections to Hylia, Ganon, etc. that link it to Old Hyrule. A lot would have to be retconned for it to fit on the AT, and Koroks[which could be explained by it being their original form and/or taking on this form for other reasons on another branch, as the GDT in TWW implies that the Kokiri weren't their original form] and the ancient sea[which could really be any sea] are the only pieces of evidence, and those aren't very solid.

I'm still going with the DT, but upon reading the quote where Aonuma strongly implies that it's 100 years after OoT, I'm placing it between OoT and ALttP with the same Link as OoT over my original placement[long after the 3DS games and a long time before the NES games], with this being the sealing of Ganon into the SR before the IW.

What I cannot beleive in that statement is if it's after OOT, it CANNOT exist after OOT and between ALTTP because the Hero of time DIES in the downfall split, following then the Imprisoning war.

What I cannot beleive in that statement is if it's after OOT, it CANNOT exist after OOT and between ALTTP because the Hero of time DIES in the downfall split, following then the Imprisoning war.
In the DT, Ganondorf kills Link, gets the full Triforce, becomes the Demon King, and gets sealed away by Zelda and the sages, and the IW happens a long time after.

What I'm saying is that HH says that Ganon was sealed by the sages after Link was defeated, but it didn't say how much time passed. It seems to imply that it happened immediately, but it didn't outright say so, just like how FSA seemed to imply that it was a direct sequel to FS and featured the same Link, and we know how that turned out. BotW could easily be a stretch of Ganon's first sealing on the DT, and while it says that Zelda and the sages sealed him, it doesn't say they did it alone(maybe a resurrected HoT?). Besides, if Zelda and the sages could just seal Ganon, why even have the HoT there?

Also, BotW Link wakes up in the Shrine of Resurrection, so it doesn't matter if he died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom