• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of the Wild looks far better on the Nintendo Switch

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
image.jpeg image.jpeg
So, with the reveal of the Nintendo Switch, we got a little bit of Breath of the Wild footage.

Even comparing off screen footage, there are numerous differences.

-The grass has lighting, similar to the E3 2014 footage. So the grass has more substance.
-Shadows seem to render at a higher resolution, making for crisper shadows
-Textures that are in the background aren't blurry
-There is more lighting within the sky box.
Overall, the Switch version of Breath of the Wild looks a lot closer to the 2014 teaser. This is just going off of off screen footage compared to the direct feed footage of the Wii U version.

So, will you be playing the prettier and portable version of BotW of the Nintendo Switch, or will you stick with the Wii U version?

I wonder whether these differences are due to there actually being differences in the Switch version of the game, or if they are just changes that have occurred to both versions of the game since the last batch of BoTW footage we saw. It's always possible that new graphical developments have been implemented since E3. I agree that it does look better though. I'd like to play the Switch version if possible, but I currently have a preorder for the Wii U version and I may have to settle for that since I likely can't afford a Switch anytime soon.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly... I see no noticeable difference from the E3 2016 footage to me. For that matter, I did not see a change in frame rate when switching from console to portable in the trailer, either. Like, I would not complain if they beefed up the graphics on the Switch vs the Wii U, but I'm just not seeing a difference at this point.

Pretty much everything @Felixavier said. As much as I want to get my hands on a copy ASAP, I might have to hold back for a few weeks if we don't get much platform v platform difference information before launch. If they come out and give us a list of differences beforehand and it turns out to be significant, I'll probably buy a Switch and BotW. If they don't, I'll probably hold off on deciding until I see some comparison reviews. If the differences are barely worth mentioning... well, why pay the extra $300 if I could play it on my WiiU?

The Switch will probably be better than the WiiU version though, if only because they want to push people like me into "this is worth the price." Here's hoping, yeah? The trailers are really promising!

Night Owl

~Momentai
Honestly... I see no noticeable difference from the E3 2016 footage to me. For that matter, I did not see a change in frame rate when switching from console to portable in the trailer, either. Like, I would not complain if they beefed up the graphics on the Switch vs the Wii U, but I'm just not seeing a difference at this point.
It would make sense for there not to be a difference between the switch from console to portable. The docking station is just for power and output to the tv, the console is contained in the portable part.

I think nintendo said at some point it would pretty much be the same experience between the nx, now switch, and the wii u.

I'll be getting the Switch Version since I don't have a console with me here in college since I left my wii u back home. The portability aspect makes it very appealing to me.

I saw a difference, but its hard to say how much of a difference it was until we see the exact footage side by side. The Switch trailer is in a different area at a different time of day etc...

That said the textures did look a little better and the shading on the grass and enemies looked better, but it still might be down to the time of day in the actual game.

I dont think its going to look too much better than the U version.

Plus i still saw some ugly pop ins in the Switch trailer so thats still something i thought theyd put more effort into trying to fix.

The frame rate didnt look great on the handheld either but we'll see.

Switch still wont convince me to get it just for a prettier BotW though.

Last edited:
I will be playing it on the Switch, but I might also buy it for Wii U after I get some Switch games. Looking at you Skyrim! But not until I'm finished with BotW!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
View attachment 37972 View attachment 37973
So, with the reveal of the Nintendo Switch, we got a little bit of Breath of the Wild footage.

Even comparing off screen footage, there are numerous differences.

-The grass has lighting, similar to the E3 2014 footage. So the grass has more substance.
-Shadows seem to render at a higher resolution, making for crisper shadows
-Textures that are in the background aren't blurry
-There is more lighting within the sky box.
Overall, the Switch version of Breath of the Wild looks a lot closer to the 2014 teaser. This is just going off of off screen footage compared to the direct feed footage of the Wii U version.

So, will you be playing the prettier and portable version of BotW of the Nintendo Switch, or will you stick with the Wii U version?

I sold that bloody Wii U shortly after learning BoTW wouldn't be exclusive for it. I won't settle for an inferior edition of a game I have waited so long for. No. I'll be playing the best version of it on the Switch.

I didnt see any evidence of it looking better, although i would hope so. Whether or not the cleaner image will be enough to get the Switch version instead will depend on the consoles pricing. Nintendo has to knock it out of the park.

Because if the base console is expensive, pus a pro controller to play it comfortably... it will be a big investment. For just one game.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
The difference in those pictures may also be due to the difference in the time of day. This game has habit of looking very different depending on where the sun is positioned.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
It would make sense for there not to be a difference between the switch from console to portable. The docking station is just for power and output to the tv, the console is contained in the portable part.
I disagree. Even if the docking station does nothing to enhance the system's performance, removing the console and taking it with you puts into play three needs: the screen needs to be on, the system can't get too hot for your hands, and the battery life starts to matter. By cutting the resolution and framerate, you save a lot of energy and heat despite running the screen. When you dock it, the screen turns off, battery no longer matters, and the system can get as hot as it needs to without overheating. With this in mind, a difference in performance makes a lot of sense.

I'm positive that the Switch version will be graphically superior, but I'd still like to see a side by side comparison just to be sure.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
did Nintendo ever say it was going to be better or are people just guessing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom