• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of The Wild is bad for the fanbase.

Yes there has been discussion but what I'm saying is that discussion has been exhausted because there is little left to talk about and less to talk about this time than has been the case with other story focussed games rather than people just not wanting to talk about anything to do with BoTW anymore.
There is lots left to talk about. The fanbase jsut has to think a little and dig into the game to come up with things in the game themselves themselves to talk about. The content is there. The plyers just have to do their in game research.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I happen to have a Myriad of Zelda questions, but it seems I'm wasting most of them on Miiverse. I also feel that realeasing 20 million threads in an hour will give me a bad rep for some reason.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I dont need to play XC itself. I've played the Witcher 3 which is a story focussed game just like Skyward Sword. The only difference is it tells a story which is actually good. And not just for a video game. It's just a plain good story. Period.
What kind of excuse is this? You played Witcher 3, so you don't need to play any other game for the story? Xenoblade is more story-driven than any Zelda game, gives opportunity ample for exploration, and is good enough to rival even Wild Hunt's writing. The stark difference between the two is that one has responsive, fast-paced gameplay and the other has cumbersome controls and tedious combat. Neither game is perfect, though, and these two are no exception. Story or otherwise.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
This is the future of Nintendo, sadly. One off, disposable entertainment. This is of course what many "artists" and "entertainers" are churning out these days especially on the corporate side. And I'm afraid consumers are just going to have to sack up and get used to it for now. I think the social situation in NA and Europe has to change before people ever actually start pursuing fresh ideas and putting some basic f-ing effort into their work again, but that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

But in BotW's case this is bad for the Zelda franchise and it is bad for nintendo. Ninty is hemorrhaging fans because the Big N keeps insisting on churning out insipid, uninspired derivative drek. When fans are passionate they'll practically keep selling your product for you long after it's been finished. When fans are bored, they leave. Ninty's only saving grace is that they (allegedly) have a pile of money and a few idiotic investors to keep them in business, but if Ninty's consumer base keeps shrinking like it has they won't last. And making what few fans you have wait the better part of decades for their long anticipated game to come out only to be underwhelmed by it only turns more away.

And in that time, think about how much money nintendo spent on BotW's development. All that tech, all those salaries and paychecks, licenses, software purchases, utilities, travel costs... all the business expenses a company has to pay for. Time is money, and this is why most commercial projects don't last much more than four years generously before they're expected to hit market.

And just how well did BotW sell by comparison?

And BotW isn't even bad. It's just heinously mediocre. At least Suckward Sword has the distinction of being a steaming pile. People entertain morbid fascinations with bad things so SS can at least draw attention from some consumers who just want to see what the fuss is about. (all dozens of them - but I think SS's future sales will mostly be from kids ages 3 and up, which I'm actually sure ninty was aiming for as their long term demographic.) But BotW stands to not be remembered at all.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There is lots left to talk about. The fanbase jsut has to think a little and dig into the game to come up with things in the game themselves themselves to talk about. The content is there. The plyers just have to do their in game research.
Well if you say so. I'd say the experience is very hollow and there is little there to talk about that hasn't already been talked about. Even @Spirit who has put hundreds of hours in agrees that all that can be talked about pretty much has been already.

I happen to have a Myriad of Zelda questions, but it seems I'm wasting most of them on Miiverse. I also feel that realeasing 20 million threads in an hour will give me a bad rep for some reason.

Well it isn't possible as you'd have to make 5555 threads a second to do 20 million in an hour. However making a good few threads would raise your reputation and would help increase activity here which is exactly what is needed.

What kind of excuse is this? You played Witcher 3, so you don't need to play any other game for the story? Xenoblade is more story-driven than any Zelda game, gives opportunity ample for exploration, and is good enough to rival even Wild Hunt's writing. The stark difference between the two is that one has responsive, fast-paced gameplay and the other has cumbersome controls and tedious combat. Neither game is perfect, though, and these two are no exception. Story or otherwise.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. I simply meant I needn't play a specific game to have an idea of what he means by story driven. I'll take your word for the xenoblade thing. I haven't played it. But it having a good story does not make Zelda any less story driven. It just means Zeldas stories aren't as good.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The difference is simple. A story focused game has gameplay that largely exists as a medium to push the story along. I already listed Xenoblade as an example. For games like Zelda and Mario, it's the opposite. The story simply exists to push the gameplay along.

I've never played Witcher 3 but I didn't realise it had cumbersome controls and tedious combat. Thanks for letting sharing that.

The difference is simple. A story focused game has gameplay that largely exists as a medium to push the story along. I already listed Xenoblade as an example. For games like Zelda and Mario, it's the opposite. The story simply exists to push the gameplay along.
Agreed. Games like Witcher 3 use gameplay to push the story along. As you correctly said, it's the opposite with Zelda. With BotW you can say the story only exist to push on the collecting, exploring and gameplay.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

For Mario yes and in Zelda 1 and BoTW yes. In most Zelda games the story is still the main focus. They even brought out Hyrule Historia due to the importance placed on story. There is no Mario Historia however.

I've never played Witcher 3 but I didn't realise it had cumbersome controls and tedious combat. Thanks for letting sharing that.

Agreed. Games like Witcher 3 use gameplay to push the story along. As you correctly said, it's the opposite with Zelda. With BotW you can say the story only exist to push on the collecting, exploring and gameplay.

I found the controls neither cumbersome or tedious. The game is very playable with no mechanics which are irritating even after 100 hours. I'd play it and judge for yourself.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
For Mario yes and in Zelda 1 and BoTW yes. In most Zelda games the story is still the main focus. They even brought out Hyrule Historia due to the importance placed on story. There is no Mario Historia however.

Hyrule Historia is simply evidence that the story wasn't though through and the lore is half assed, the timeline most notably. In Skyward Sword, one of the few titles with a bigger story, Zelda is just an excuse to go to each respective temple and fetch various MacGuffins. Groose is an excuse to play a mini game and, later, introduce a new mechanic to the Imprisoned fight. It is so very rare that they add story when it isn't a necessary excuse to move the game along.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's pretty much undeniable that Nintendo have shifted to a more story focused game. However, Breath of the Wild shot down any hopes of them focusing on a grand story with interlocking tales. I think we just have to accept that the series is a universe with self contained legends loosely connected to one another.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Some of us might not even make it, like dear Axle who never got to see BoTW.

BB_Salute.gif

I found the controls neither cumbersome or tedious. The game is very playable with no mechanics which are irritating even after 100 hours. I'd play it and judge for yourself.
Well you said one of the games "the other has cumbersome controls and tedious combat" to quote you. XC and XCX don't have cumbersome controls and tedious combat so I assumed you meant Witcher. Well since you said Witcher doesn't have cumbersome controls and tedious combat and neither does XC and XCX, why say it then?

Serious question, I'm trying to understand what you mean here. Not having a go at you here, just trying to understand what you meant there.

XC and XCX are not perfect as you totally pointed out, however their combat is actually one of their strong points, it's quite fun. And both games control well.
I heard Witcher 3 was pretty good actually, I just was surprised at what you said. Still you confused me, by saying that when both games you mentioned play well and have good controls/combat.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well you said one of the games "the other has cumbersome controls and tedious combat" to quote you. XC and XCX don't have cumbersome controls and tedious combat so I assumed you meant Witcher. Well since you said Witcher doesn't have cumbersome controls and tedious combat and neither does XC and XCX, why say it then?

Serious question, I'm trying to understand what you mean here. Not having a go at you here, just trying to understand what you meant there.

XC and XCX are not perfect as you totally pointed out, however their combat is actually one of their strong points, it's quite fun. And both games control well.
I heard Witcher 3 was pretty good actually, I just was surprised at what you said. Still you confused me, by saying that when both games you mentioned play well and have good controls/combat.

I think you might be attributing what Emiya Shirou said with what I said and confused us with one another. He was the one who mentioned cumbersome controls. I was just giving my thoughts on W3's gameplay to you because when I played it I experienced no such issues.

I have never played Xenoblade and wouldn't comment on its controls without having tried them.

I think you might be attributing what Emiya Shirou said with what I said and confused us with one another. He was the one who mentioned cumbersome controls. I was just giving my thoughts on W3's gameplay to you because when I played it I experienced no such issues.

I have never played Xenoblade and wouldn't comment on its controls without having tried them.
Fair enough and thats cool.

Since I do have a PS4 I might get Witcher 3 on sale one of these days. And when I clear my current backlog.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Hyrule Historia is simply evidence that the story wasn't though through and the lore is half assed, the timeline most notably. In Skyward Sword, one of the few titles with a bigger story, Zelda is just an excuse to go to each respective temple and fetch various MacGuffins. Groose is an excuse to play a mini game and, later, introduce a new mechanic to the Imprisoned fight. It is so very rare that they add story when it isn't a necessary excuse to move the game along.
71gSN809VjL.jpg

They aren't generally very good at story writing but that does not decrease the importance placed on story. You only need to read the back of Hyrule Historia to be told of their importance to the franchise.

So there are mini games that dont affect the story in SS. In W3 you can do horse racing and that doesn't impact the main story either, it's just a way of getting coin which the developers intended to be a fun method, just as mini games in Zelda are a fun way to get rupees or pieces of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom