• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Breath of the Wild in the Child Timeline?!

I might as well just articulate my theory on the trail of events. First of all, I agree with pretty much everything that @SuperMario101yt just said, except for the fact that the sages weren't awoken in the Child Timeline, unless that occurred after the events seen in game. Second of all, I'm going to try and list how I see events in chronological order:
  1. Link defeats Ganon and returns to the point before Ganondorf's invasion. He warns Princess Zelda of the impending threat, essentially creating the Child Timeline. He then leaves Hyrule in search of Navi.
  2. At some point, Ganondorf leads an invasion of Hyrule in an attempt to follow on his original plan. Forewarned, the kingdom repels the invasion, captures and tries Ganondorf, finally sentencing him to execution at the hands of the sages.
  3. In a "divine prank," Ganondorf is chosen by the Triforce of Power and is able to survive his execution, killing one of the sages before being banished to the Twilight. He invests his magical power in Zant, biding his time until he can return triumphant to the Light World.
  4. Ganondorf's plan to invade Hyrule once again fails, and this time, he is finally laid to rest by the Hero and the vengeful suicide of his minion Zant, to whose life force he was connected.
  5. In order to prevent Ganondorf from rising again, his corpse is sealed.
  6. Somehow, a new Ganondorf is born into the Gerudo, transforms into the Demon King, and is slain by the four Links. This is not the same Ganondorf, nor does he have the same consciousness. This is canon lore, confirmed by Hyrule Historia.
  7. Over time, Ganon rises again; not as a sentient being, but as a creation of pure malice. The sealed corpse of Ganondorf has become a source of malice, and the incarnation of this malice is Calamity Ganon. The seal exists to prevent the full wrath of his hatred from spewing forth and resurrecting the true power of the Demon King.
  8. To combat this new, ghostly incarnation of Ganon known as the Calamity, the Divine Beasts are created along with the Guardians. They aid the hero and the princess in destroying the first incarnation of Calamity Ganon.
  9. Over the next 10,000 years, the malice originating from Ganondorf's corpse reforms into a new Calamity, a cunning one that succeeds in the destruction of Hyrule. The current Princess Zelda seals him away until the recovering Link can return to help her destroy Calamity Ganon's incarnation. Upon his return, Calamity Ganon is destroyed, but the true threat, the sealed corpse of Ganondorf, remains hidden.

First off, it's said in OoT that the sages will need to be awakened when evil ''rules all''. Since this doesn't happen, we can say that the OoT sages aren't awakened.

Now to respond to this:

1, 2, 3, 4. This matches up with nothing in CaC or any known lore related to BotW. All we know is that in the timeline that BotW takes place in, the hero and the sages fought Ganondorf, which ended with him sealed. If this was important history as far as BotW was concerned, it would've been mentioned, no?

5. Why is it that Ganondorf's corpse has round ears instead of pointed ears, like in TP?

6. Ganon is not slain in FSA. He's imprisoned in the FS at the end.

7/8/9. How do you account for the fact that the spirit of OG Ganondorf has been reincarnated into the new one in FSA, who is sealed and alive in the FS the last time we see him? How can OG Ganondorf come back?

1,2,3,4 are the history of the Child Timeline through Twilight Princess. 5, you cannot assume that ears are a determining factor as to whether or not a timeline is possible. It's a visual inconsistency, nothing more. 6, the corpse of the original Ganondorf still exists. The Ganondorf in Four Swords is an entirely new body: a manifestation, but not the original. 7/8/9, FSA happens after FS. FS is in the unified timeline. We don't know that the spirit of Ganondorf is actually reincarnated, or if Demise's curse just decided to create a new one. There's no official confirmation on the matter. Plus, I honestly don't think that FS/FSA is a factor at all in Nintendo's decision making related to the timeline. They'd retcon its placement before letting it get in the way of putting Breath of the Wild where they want.

Also, I will point out that visually, the game makes a ton of references to Twilight Princess: the jewel on Calamity Ganon's forehead, the design of Dark Beast Ganon is pretty much just purple ooze version of the one from Twilight Princess, the Master Sword's design is based on the one from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, etc... I'm not saying it's at all definite, I just think it's more likely.

Once again, I reiterate: I think the timeline is nonsense, and I don't think that Breath of the Wild fits into any of the branches particularly well. I just think that the Child Timeline is more consistent with the general world and atmosphere of Breath of the Wild. I'd love to see a new game in the Downfall Timeline that continues the story in a significant way, I just don't think that this is the one.

1,2,3,4. Yes, I know that this is the history of TP. That doesn't mean that it's the history of BotW however, especially when CaC makes no reference to it, while mentioning something that didn't happen in the CT as its history.

5. Considering that CaC (and I think BotW, I'm not sure) mentions the fact that the Gerudo had round ears in the past but now have pointed ears, and that we now have a Ganondorf corpse that doesn't have pointed ears despite every other Gerudo in this era having pointed ears, I hesitate to call that a coincidence.

6. FSA Ganon isn't just a ''new body''. He was reborn as a new male Gerudo, and the people in the Desert of Doubt mention raising him.

7/8/9. We know that Ganondorf was reincarnated in FSA as both the Historia and Encyclopedia mention that he's a reincarnation. Also, saying that Nintendo would retcon FSA to make a CT placement of BotW is speculation and not fact based.

Why do you believe the timeline to be nonsense?

1,2,3,4 - Creating a Champion makes no reference to any timeline in particular.
5 -
6 - That's my point exactly. He was a new person, not just a new reincarnation.
7/8/9 - I'm not saying that they would do it in order to make that placement canon because they would be so attached to the child timeline. What I'm saying is that FSA is so irrelevant to the story as a whole and so ambiguous that it could be placed anywhere and no one would bat an eye, as long as it wasn't before Ocarina of Time. I'm saying that Nintendo wouldn't let it get in the way of placing Breath of the Wild where they wanted too, especially since most people haven't played Four Swords Adventures and doing so is, in fact, rather difficult.

I think the timeline is nonsense because it treats two of its branches as stemming from logical time travel rules, and the third doesn't have any explanation as to why it exists. It is literally just a "what if" scenario that happens to contain some of the best and most influential games in the series. A Link to the Past deserves better than to be in a "what if Link died in Ocarina?" alternate history timeline.

I will honestly admit that I would prefer a new game in the Downfall Timeline to a new game in the Child Timeline: I just don't believe that Breath of the Wild fits that mold.

I might as well just articulate my theory on the trail of events. First of all, I agree with pretty much everything that @SuperMario101yt just said, except for the fact that the sages weren't awoken in the Child Timeline, unless that occurred after the events seen in game. Second of all, I'm going to try and list how I see events in chronological order:
  1. Link defeats Ganon and returns to the point before Ganondorf's invasion. He warns Princess Zelda of the impending threat, essentially creating the Child Timeline. He then leaves Hyrule in search of Navi.
  2. At some point, Ganondorf leads an invasion of Hyrule in an attempt to follow on his original plan. Forewarned, the kingdom repels the invasion, captures and tries Ganondorf, finally sentencing him to execution at the hands of the sages.
  3. In a "divine prank," Ganondorf is chosen by the Triforce of Power and is able to survive his execution, killing one of the sages before being banished to the Twilight. He invests his magical power in Zant, biding his time until he can return triumphant to the Light World.
  4. Ganondorf's plan to invade Hyrule once again fails, and this time, he is finally laid to rest by the Hero and the vengeful suicide of his minion Zant, to whose life force he was connected.
  5. In order to prevent Ganondorf from rising again, his corpse is sealed.
  6. Somehow, a new Ganondorf is born into the Gerudo, transforms into the Demon King, and is slain by the four Links. This is not the same Ganondorf, nor does he have the same consciousness. This is canon lore, confirmed by Hyrule Historia.
  7. Over time, Ganon rises again; not as a sentient being, but as a creation of pure malice. The sealed corpse of Ganondorf has become a source of malice, and the incarnation of this malice is Calamity Ganon. The seal exists to prevent the full wrath of his hatred from spewing forth and resurrecting the true power of the Demon King.
  8. To combat this new, ghostly incarnation of Ganon known as the Calamity, the Divine Beasts are created along with the Guardians. They aid the hero and the princess in destroying the first incarnation of Calamity Ganon.
  9. Over the next 10,000 years, the malice originating from Ganondorf's corpse reforms into a new Calamity, a cunning one that succeeds in the destruction of Hyrule. The current Princess Zelda seals him away until the recovering Link can return to help her destroy Calamity Ganon's incarnation. Upon his return, Calamity Ganon is destroyed, but the true threat, the sealed corpse of Ganondorf, remains hidden.
Yes, but you forgot about the last one.
10. Sometime after the events of Ganondorf's ressurection, Demise and Ghirahim are reborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom