• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Breath of the Wild. I can not comprehend why this game exists.

I get it...I mean I like it but I get why someone wouldn't.

The game is majorly padded out with climbing. Remove the constant climbing and the game would probably be 10 hours long. It's super repetitive

BotW is two steps forward and twenty steps back for the series.

Did we want an open world? Yes.
Did we want dozens of repeating identical franchise shrines in place of actual dungeons and caves? No.
Did we want a land with piles of worthless junk lying around that all fall to pieces under a stiff breeze? No.
Did we want dozens of repetitious inconsequential fetch quests? No.
Did we want 900 pointless collectables hidden under every leaf and rock? No.
Did we want to keep a meaningful central story in our Zelda adventure? Yes.
Did we want an insufferably written, atrociously voice acted narrative that's even so inconsequential to the writers they sidelined it as optional content? No.
Did we want to keep challenging and compelling dungeons? Yes.
Did we want four "main" dungeons (that are really as optional as everything in BotW) that all look and play the same? No
Did we want to keep impressive and challenging bosses? Yes.
Did we want four identical bosses that all play the same and are each just slightly differently shaped vaguely menacing clouds? No.
Did we want mechanical innovation in the series? Yes.
Did we want a weather simulation that really just does little more than arbitrarily disable your ability to climb when it rains? No.
Did we want a cooking system that's 95% redundant because most of the recipes are useless and you really only need it to have unlimited access to full heath restoratives that completely breaks the game as soon as you can fully heal anything less than a 1-shot kill at any time.

It's almost as if, for once, ninty was listening. "What's that?" ninty muses from deep within the fog of their dementia, "Our fans want a less restrictive open world Zelda?" .... "okay...."

So that's what we got. Unfortunately, what we got came at the expense of everything else good about the series... and nothing else! They completely gutted it of everything Zelda. All we're left with is this big open often times needlessly frustrating, most of the time dull uninteresting and unchallenging expanse of empty space and mountains of worthless junk and pointless filler.
just adding :
Did we want constantly breaking weapons ?

I can not comprehend why people love or even like this game. I live in fear of existing in the worst of all possible worlds. The whole thing is wrong in the worst possible way and I don't think people can see it. It is a living hell playing it. The series can never revive after this one. It just seems that people who like this one hate everything about the Zelda series. All the other ones were pretty good and is a dark and beautiful series. I just want to see people's opinions on the matter to make it all make sense somehow.
I dont mind the game but I can say that it doesnt feel like LoZ in any way I see people saying "Its not all about dungeons its about lore and npc's" but when I think LoZ I think The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time those are what a LoZ game is supposed to feel like.

First of all, the original statement that started this thread is just wrong. Breath of the Wild is not "wrong in the worst possible way and everyone is just blind to it." The statement "I live in fear of existing in the worst of all possible worlds" doesn't actually mean anything - do you not like the post-apocalyptic setting, or are you afraid of Breath of the Wild because you think it's bad? "It just seems that people who like this one hate everything about the Zelda series" is, and I apologize for this, simply idiotic. I love the old Zelda games, in many ways more than Breath of the Wild, but I also love Breath of the Wild, too. There is room in the series for both types of games. Breath of the Wild is different but it doesn't negate the older games in any way. I can't imagine why you would think playing it is a living hell. No matter what you think about the progression system or the lack of dungeons, you cannot reasonably deny that the gameplay is exceedingly well polished and pays excellent homage to the mechanics in the rest of the series. I will not deny that some things could be tedious and repetitive at times (climbing, in particular), but in no way does it make the game a living hell.
In the future, please at least consider what you are saying before you post something like this. I'm not really sure how to respond to this in a constructive way, so if it seems like I tried to take you down, I do apologize, but you really do need to think before saying things like "people who like Breath of the Wild hate Zelda."

I can comprehend the meaning behind BotW's existence, but why anyone liked it escapes me still.

It's the first Zelda ramped up to 11.
>Can go just about anywhere right off the start
>Dungeons can be completed in different orders
>Not much of a story
It invokes the very first game's feeling but for modern Nintendo.
"The first Zelda ramped up to 11." That description actually seems extremely accurate. Also, why I struggled to get in to BotW. I loved the original but A Link to the Past always seemed like a huge improvement on it. To me, anyway. I am so used to years of linear play, story, and the inability to go to certain areas until you get certain items (which I love) that BotW seems foreign. I can see how the Minecraft generation would love it. I'm gonna try to play it again, in hopes I can learn to change with the franchise.

I didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild that much on my first playthrough, but I think that's because I didn't understand how to structure the experience. I was just running around doing shrines and side quests for over 50 hours before progressing with the main story past the Great Plateau.

My current playthrough is much more focused. I'm mostly just going through the story and doing shrines and sidequests as they're convenient, and I'm enjoying the game much more. I'll go back and do the rest when I feel like it. I think that's something to keep in mind with all of these open world games nowadays. Take things at your own pace and focus on what's fun for you inside of that experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom