• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breaking Bad

Hanyou

didn't build that
If you've seen this show, then you know how good it is.

If you haven't and you're an adult, you should watch it. If you're not old enough to watch brutal stuff, then you should avoid it.

The basic premise is that a high school chemistry teacher who learns he has lung cancer starts cooking meth to provide for his family. That's episode 1, season 1. The plot turns into so much more. There are a good deal of funny moments, but there's also drama, suspense, and some incredible strategizing on the part of several characters. There are a lot of over-the-top moments and plot points, but it all somehow makes sense because the show is so well-written, and the separate stories have a way of coming together really well.

Season 5 is the final season, and I'm really looking forward to starting it. I believe three episodes have been released.

Frankly, this may well be the best show I have ever seen, aside from Cowboy Bebop. I'm about to finish season 4 on Netflix, and I'll be buying the season 5 pass on iTunes. Moments of season 3 and 4 were slow, but for the most part, it has been a non-stop roller coaster ride.

I think it's also a great morality tale, one of the few shows where actions are shown to have real consequences and characters are held accountable for their choices. You're left to decide for yourself whether their decisions are justified, but excuses are never made. This is pretty refreshing, especially in this era, when accountability is running thin.

Anyone else watch this show?

Garo

Boy Wonder
Breaking Bad is undoubtedly my favorite television show of all time - the fourth season cemented that position, beating out Lost for the top spot. It's an amazing show that intelligently opts for the slow burn, building tension with some absolutely heart-pounding scenes involving the relationships between Walt and Jesse, Walt and his family, and Walt and his business associates. Very few shows can make a scene in a bedroom in which a husband and wife are talking as intense as a shootout. The show loves to place these sort of scenes in the first ten episodes of a season, then blow all that tension sky high in the final three episodes with an absolutely nuts rollercoaster ride - see "Crawl Space", "End Times" and "Face Off" at the end of season 4.

While we still have the fifth season to go, I've thus far enjoyed the way the show has toyed with morality - gradually Walt becomes a much more evil person, justifying downright despicable acts for personal gain; in the meantime, Jesse Pinkman has gradually become a better person, with greater awareness of the consequences of his own actions and with a greater moral compass - see the incredibly moving and heart-wrenching "Problem Dog" scene in season 4. It's an interesting duality that the two main characters - a surrogate father and son pair - gradually move further apart on the moral spectrum, while retaining a mostly close relationship throughout.

Gilligan is a genius, and does things in this show that no TV producer in their right mind would have done before it came along. Brilliant writing and acting all around, and I am very excited to see the 12 remaining episodes.

Oh my god...

This show...

I love this show so much. Bryan Cranston is freaking phenomenal and the direction by... whoever directs is... is great. I love the way the show sets up its season premiers, particularly the second. That shot of the eyeball in the pool peppered through the second season episodes was just awesome. And freaking Gustavo Fring... Oh man... This show.

Also, I didn't know that they had already started season 5. I can't wait to start watching the newest episodes. After the season 4 finale I was all :O. I've been awaiting this season so much.

#Incoherent_fanatic_gush

Its soo amazing! I'm only on season 3 but damn i loves it! Not a single person in that show cant act. They are all amazing at what they do in it. Gus is such an evil baddie, its out standing!

Garo

Boy Wonder
That shot of the eyeball in the pool peppered through the second season episodes was just awesome.

You probably noticed, but I'm always happy to point this out since it blew my mind when I first saw it.

That eyeball appeared in four episodes during the second season: "Seven Thirty-Seven", "Down", "Over", and "ABQ".

You probably noticed, but I'm always happy to point this out since it blew my mind when I first saw it.

That eyeball appeared in four episodes during the second season: "Seven Thirty-Seven", "Down", "Over", and "ABQ".

Yeah I noticed. The way they gave you more of the scene in each subsequent episode it appeared in was awesome. I bet no one figured out what the hell was going on just from those scenes. We were all left in beautiful suspense.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I love Breaking Bad too, Altho It's not my favorite all time show.. that would be Dexter ;)

Breaking Bad is the epitome of great television, there is nothing better in my opinion. I have been following this show religiously since season 2, and just when i thought it couldn't get any better, or any more suspenseful, I saw episode 411 - Crawl Space. This episode blew me away, and the shot they use as the episode ends...... Magical.

@Hanyou; I couldn't agree more, BB is largely a story of consequence for every action. The writers demonstrate this beautifully. It seems in season 5 Walter is beginning to understand these consequences, accept them, and continue down his path, he's all in now.

Last edited:

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I've watched the first whole season 1 and it was awesome I'm ordering the second season from my local library can't wait for it!

Hanyou

didn't build that
I have little to add to my initial post here, but I do think this thread could use a revival--particularly since this show is now in its final season.

I've introduced ZD user Hachi to it and I think she likes it nearly as much as I do. We finished Season 4, my favorite of the bunch, last night, and the ending still blew me away. I absolutely love where this show goes. The victories are grand, but never without sacrifice.

A good number of people are sad the show's ending, but I couldn't be happier about it. 5-6 seasons seems about right for this narrative. It would be far worse if the show overstayed its welcome. So far, the final few episodes haven't disappointed me.

Anyone else watch this show?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've never watched Breaking Bad. I hear very good things about it and really want to check it out sometime but, dammit, people tell me I need to watch too many shows! :P It's on my list. Still halfway through Game of Thrones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom