• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Brave!

I really think I will enjoy it. Not only is it a Pixar movie, but it's also Disney, and considering how much I liked "Tangled" (made by Disney only, not Pixar) I predict that I will love this.

Meh I mean Tangled was ok... But this is Pixar were talkin! If I get disappointed I won't be happy, but the trailers look great! soo the chances of that are like 1.15% chance. lol!

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
My thoughts? Oh, here we go. *cracks knuckles*

From what I've seen, it doesn't look brilliant and whilst I do trust pixar to make a good film I don't trust them enough to ignore my first impression.

What I would suggest is, don't trust the trailer. I can't say I'm too impressed with it myself, but I feel as though what I've glimpsed of it still has the potential to be great. It's mostly a matter of whether Pixar will do it right, and they at least have a good history when it comes to that. Back before Finding Nemo came out, I remember hearing about it and thinking "meh, it's about a fish? Sounds boring." Then of course I actually watched the movie, and found its charm completely upturning my initial impression of it. Not saying this is guaranteed to be the case with Brave, but a trailer can significantly crop up a movie and market it in a way that at times can be very misleading.
Or as Axle already summed up,

trailers usually suck

Yup.

Seems like it'll be a cute movie. I love how most of the comments on youtube are like "Katniss Gingerdeen" or "Katniss has met her match" or "Did anyone else think of the hunger games?"

Just because two female archers come along at about the same time doesn't mean they copied each other (though, everyone in the comments thinks "Brave" is copying the Hunger Games. But if you look at the facts, Hunger Games book came out about 06-08 range, Brave's production started in 2008) I never heard of this movie until now, thanks for sharing, Zanzibar. c:

Yeah, I saw those comments on youtube too, and I have to say the comparison seems completely nonsensical to me. The only similarity I can see is that they've both got a female protagonist that can wield a bow. Meantime, Princess Zelda's been shooting Light Arrows for how many years? Girls With Bows (they could name a show that...) is not some kind of new concept just invented in The Hunger Games. The accusations of Brave's likeness to it makes about as much sense to me as would a claim that Abraham Lincoln ripped off The Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland on account of his large top hat, and there are so many things fundamentally wrong with that statement that it's not even worth discussing. The movies don't even seem to be remotely in the same genre to begin with. That's not suggesting one is better than the other per se, just that I think they're about as similar as a raven would be to a writing desk.

An actual unusual phenomenon of movies with similar subject matter coming out around the same time would be Snow White and the Huntsman closely following the release of Mirror Mirror, and even that case I believe is an honest coincidence....but I'll save that for another thread.

Tangled was a good movie, but it lacked the polish of most Pixar movies, I thought. I guess I can see some similarity in the clothing styles and the fact that it's a female protagonist, but I'm not sure I see what similarities there are aside from that.

Tangled was not done by Disney Pixar though, it was done by Disney (Walt Disney Animation Studios), and that might be why you felt it didn't have the same "Pixar Polish." I personally loved Tangled though, so while I agree that it didn't give off the same vibe as Pixar's movies, I don't necessarily view that as a bad thing since I actually enjoyed Tangled more than any of Pixar's own movies, meaning that what they nailed in Tangled outshone whatever polish it might have lacked in my opinion.

Meh I mean Tangled was ok... But this is Pixar were talkin! If I get disappointed I won't be happy, but the trailers look great! soo the chances of that are like 1.15% chance. lol!

Just goes to show how different people's opinions can be. =P

Tangled was about a young girl breaking free of the rule of her Mother. Brave (from what I've seen) looks like a young girl breaking free from her culture.

I see the similarity now that you mention it, but I don't see it as particularly striking. Ratatouille and Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off are both movies about male protagonists that want to follow their dreams to cook and have to overcome obstacles to do so, including the disapproval of both their father figures. But the differences actually drown out the similarities to a point that comparisons seem almost irrelevant to point out. That's basically how I feel comparing Tangled and Brave, which I see as very individual of one other.

I liked the Hunger Games BEFORE it was popular xD. Anyways it does look like a decent movie and I am not saying I'm overly excited, sure now just seeing I'd like to see it, I just think it'll be good. I won't hold my expectations very high. I did that with the Hunger Games. c:

Heh, sounds like what happened to me with Twilight, except that I went through a complete revulsion phase with it once it spiked in popularity before making peace with it again, and still haven't bothered watching the movie. ^ ^; Total lack of interest now.

Huh weird I have't seen any previews yet. Man I want to see previews now.

Abracadabra. =P

[video=youtube;TEHWDA_6e3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHWDA_6e3M[/video]

And since I saw it, this is not really a trailer, but more an actual clip from the movie for anyone interested.

[video=youtube;Y4EZULqhP2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4EZULqhP2E[/video]

I've seen the whole "arrow-through-the-arrow" thing done before though (multiple times, I think one of them was in Robin Hood) so I have to admit the unoriginality of that had me so unimpressed that I facepalmed. Nevertheless, I'm still hopeful enough to give this movie a go in theaters.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Thus far Brave looks pretty good. In the beginning of the trailer, when they were describing the creature near the Stonehenge-like monument, I thought and hoped it would be a dragon, but then that would unquestionably put this movie in par with Dreamwork's How To Train Your Dragon. Therefore, I'm not disappointed with the obstacle she must overcome, although after reading through some posts I can see where a lot of people might deem Brave to be derived off one story or another. One such example, which I don't think was mentioned, is Braveheart, where the main character fought for the freedom of his land, Ireland. Judging by the setting, the accents, and other things, I don't think it's too far off from drawing quite a bit inspiration from William Wallace.

Also, I find it worth noting that this is the first female protagonist we've seen from Pixar, and by the looks of her spirit and red hair, she's a fiery one. My memory can't bring a single lead-role character of this gender; Helen Parr from The Incredibles comes closest to her, but that story focuses mainly on her husband, Bob, as he searches out how to restore his dreams of superheroship again. I'm so far impressed with "Merida", I believe Brave's heroine to be named, and I can't wait to see how Pixar takes advantage of this opportunity to show the strong side of a woman in tough times.

[video=youtube;Y4EZULqhP2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4EZULqhP2E[/video]

I've seen the whole "arrow-through-the-arrow" thing done before though (multiple times, I think one of them was in Robin Hood) so I have to admit the unoriginality of that had me so unimpressed that I facepalmed. Nevertheless, I'm still hopeful enough to give this movie a go in theaters.

I noticed the same in this preview. There's no doubting that it took precedence from Robin Hood, even though I presume they're paying tribute to it, and being so close and connected with Disney, they probably got express permission to incorporate that in. In addition to the arrow-through-the-arrow scene, I recognized some similarity in how the first bowman up shot...just like an unknown contestant from Robin Hood in the archery competition there. I'm incapable of expressing the obviousness of this entire similitude.

Sinking Badges said:
I guess it was sort of an eventuality that someone would mention Cars 2. I've heard a good deal about it breaking Pixar's winning record and making people lose trust on them, and that's understandable, I've sort of been thinking the same from time to time. Though, if we look at the positive side it's one not-so-acclaimed piece of work after almost 20 years of magically avoiding drops in quality (at least in the critical sense). It's probably too soon to determine whether they've "lost their touch".

Now, I haven't actually seen Cars 2, but from what I've read so far the consensus seems to be that people came in expecting complex inner conflict ala Ratatouille or redemptive stories like Toy Story. That sounds like me saying I won't try milk any more because I wanted it to taste like orange juice; expectations seem to have played quite a role in that, but... well, that's just a quick observation.

What I don't understand is why Pixar even decided to make a sequel to Cars in the first place?! That movie as already downright mediocre and it certainly didn't warrant a sequel. Pixar was justified in making not one but two Toy Story sequels since those movies ere received very warmly by fans and critics alike and many have hailed the trilogy as some of the best if not the best animated movies ever created.

As for the first part of your statement, Pixar hasn't necessarily "lost its touch". Just a year before the wreck that was Cars 2 (get it? ;)), the studio produced Toy Story 3 which became the studio's third highest rated movie of all time after Ratatouille and Wall-E and the highest grossing as well and went on to be nominated for quite a few Oscars as well as won a handful. Brave looks to be a return to the good old original and creative Pixar. I can't find the source since it was awhile back, however, I agree with a site that once stated that Pixar's first downfall would be in a sequel. That sequel came last summer.

Axle the Beast said:
Brave looks like it contains the same lightheartedness as all Pixar movies, it's just less obvious in the trailer. That said... when have Pixar movies actually been childish? Honestly most of them can be taken about as seriously as Brave looks like it will be. Hell, The Incredibles was actually a really dark movie.

Alright listen Axle, Pixar has never been childish but the company always manifested incredible symbology as well as maturity (as you maintained) and that was sadly missing in the clear cash-in sequel known as Cars 2. When dealing with original creative concepts, however, Pixar has yet to stumble.

Oh yes! Ive been looking forward to brave ever since I heard of it! Trailers are looking like a lot of fun and pixar usually makes great films. Hey, I'm a Irish redhead with a love for Celtic things so of course I think it looks good.
Don't think it purposely tried to tie in anything Hunger games related though; that's just coincidence if anything, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom