• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resolved Bowob Chat

Keep Bowob Chat?

• We're better off without it. Begone!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's better than nothing. Keep it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Woah, no. Desktop vs Laptop per se should not realistically have any functionality issues. I run a desktop and it works fine.

I'm using a laptop but I am having terrible loading issues and random crashing.
I said I was using a laptop I was only state that, unlike some other people, I was using a computer and not a cellphone, tablet, etc. I don't think a desktop would differ much from a laptop as far as BoWoB is concern. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

Maybe this has to do with the OS or browser? I'm running Windows 8 and the chat works on both Chrome and Firefox.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Am I the only one who has zero troubles with that chat? All pages open normally and as fast as anyway and nothing crashes or is giving me errors. But it's personally not my kinda chatbox anyway.

Pretty much same for me. Causes no issues for me on any of my devices but I don't really like it as a chat feature.

I liked the old shoutbox not just for ability to talk to other members but for the forum integration, seeing when new threads/new posts get made.

Clank

Hmm
I'd like to bring up that the fact that it won't load on my tablet—regardless of which browser I use—but I guess that's more of a personal issue. However, it has caused my browser to crash on a few occasions. What's more is this appears to be a common occurrence among the posters in this thread and others.

Depends, if you are running Android you can sideload flash, whereas if you are running iOS, well, making that impossible was one of Steve Jobs goals.

Am I the only one who has zero troubles with that chat? All pages open normally and as fast as anyway and nothing crashes or is giving me errors. But it's personally not my kinda chatbox anyway.

It works fine on my end, I don't really use it much due to the simple fact that I don't enjoy chatting with the crowd that tends to be in there. However, it obviously won't work on any device that doesn't run flash or is having trouble with flash (I don't know how PepperFlash handles it).

Clank

Hmm
BoWoB is not flash. It uses websockets.

Well, it doesn't work until I enable flash, so there's obviously some sort of a reliance of flash. It may very well use websockets, but if it doesn't work without flash, then it doesn't work without flash.

Also
<div id="bowob_flash"><embed pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="sound_url=http://euwest1.bowobcloud1.com/30676/bl_2_3/" src="http://euwest1.bowobcloud1.com/30676/bl_2_3/flash.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="bowob_f" id="bowob_f" width="0" height="0"></div>
It looks like it relies on flash for sound and something else, I'm not positive what all the "flash.swf" file does, but as I said before, if flash isn't enabled, I can't get the chat to load.

I'm yet to experience any issues with the current chat in terms of bugs or lag. I just think it's far too casual to even begin to think about decent conversations.

There's too little page space dedicated to it. Whilst I like the fact that I can scroll back to pretty much any chat that's been posted since I logged on, the fact that any normal sentence occupies two or three lines puts me off. It makes keeping up with a discussion a hassle, and the constant "New Message Posted" notifications in the page title make it a nuisance when I have several ZD tabs open that I'm trying to navigate.

It's better than nothing, yes. But that's not a positive, nor should it be used as any excuse to put off implementing a better system.

Jaywolf

~The Wolfos Furry~
I've had no trouble with it at all. although i would like the option to chat to someone without everyone seeing what i'm saying, but that's why they invented: "PMing"

Big Octo

=^)
I've had no trouble with it at all. although i would like the option to chat to someone without everyone seeing what i'm saying, but that's why they invented: "PMing"

Click on somebody's name in the chat. It'll open up a PM window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom