• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BotW's new mechanics are not exactly new...

It has come to my attention that almost every gameplay aspect of BotW is not entirely new to the Zelda franchise. In fact most of them have happened in the series before, one way or another.
They are just perfected, extended versions of them, that were eventually turned into core mechanics.
It might sound weird, but if you think about it, you can notice it.
Also I'm not complaining or anything. In fact I like this idea because it makes BotW feel more like the "ultimate" Zelda game.

I think that there might be an item in the game called the breath of the wild which would allow link to change between a populated or wild hyrule

Idk. Maybe some of them, but what about the climbing and the physics engine with makeshift catapults? Plus that sweet slowmo B&A action.

The physics in the game are extremely new. What other game can you accidentally screw yourself by starting a wild fire by not taking wind direction into consideration? Or you run the risk of getting struck by lightning by wearing metal armor in a storm? Hell you can even create an updraft with fire to push you upwards with your paraglider! This alone will add crazy possibilities to exploration.

There is a lot of stuff in BotW we have never seen in any game before this. Don't let the hater crowd draw you in, this game will raise the bar for all open world games.

I did say most of them, and I didn't count the physics emgine as a mechanic.
Also:
The magnet exists in a few other 2D zelda titles, like OoS
Climbing existed in Zelda since OoT. As I said, it is way expanded
Paraglider and updrafts existed in SS with different names, and the fire physics are part of the physics engine, which I had honestly forgotten.
Ok cooking is new.

Also I dont hate. I stated clearly that I actually like this.
Sorry if I sound edgy or hatey

I think that there might be an item in the game called the breath of the wild which would allow link to change between a populated or wild hyrule
It would be a bit like the oracle of seasons mechanic allowing link to reach places which were previously unavailable or to solve puzzles this would also effectively double the size of the world!

The OP did say said features were taken from older games and then extended and perfected.

Personally, I don't care if they "recycle" mechanics or items, as long as its done well. Adding new mechanics like this can make old "staple" puzzles trivially easy or excruciatingly hard. Imagine for example, shooting the sun to get Fire Arrows if wind direction and speed is a factor, or just being able to climb up the wall / railing to another floor in a dungeon.

The OP did say said features were taken from older games and then extended and perfected.

Personally, I don't care if they "recycle" mechanics or items, as long as its done well. Adding new mechanics like this can make old "staple" puzzles trivially easy or excruciatingly hard. Imagine for example, shooting the sun to get Fire Arrows if wind direction and speed is a factor, or just being able to climb up the wall / railing to another floor in a dungeon.
True. I just can't read apparently lol

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I mean, there are lots of new mechanics to the Zelda series.

The time stop mechanics of stasis are completely new.

The time stop mechanics of the bow(the bullet time mechanic) is new.

Many of the features of the Sheikah Slate are new as well, such as being able to scan enemies.

But the perfection of many of the older mechanics of Zelda does make something completely new. These mechanics are expanded upon so much, and almost all of these mechanics are, that it creates completely different and new gameplay.

I agree and have been thinking this for a while, that it's a natural progression related to gaming in general. It's a return in some ways to the original NES game while being modern. It's very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom