• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BotW2 : Underground and underwater?

The reveal trailer for BotW2 makes it look like Link and Zelda are underground, they're definitely in an enclosed space like a Cave or cavern.

But will this underground theme continue into the wetter parts of Hyrule?

In BotW1 we couldn't dive beneath the surface of the water and this disappointed a lot of people, but could the sequel venture into the lakes, rivers and oceans of Hyrule?

Would you like to go underwater in BotW2, what would you like to see beneath the surface?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Oh yes, please.

I think it's a lock.

They took so much inspiration from Zelda 1 into BotW, so it just makes perfect sense for them to reincorporate the underground from Zelda 1. My wish would be an interconnected network of caves with 8 entrances in the overworld. I hope we get to revisit 8 locations from the overworld of BotW, like underneath the labyrinths or digging into the Forgotten temple, to reach different parts of the underworld.

As for underwater, I think that would be extremely cool, too. I think that was something they had to reprioritize during the development of BotW.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I generally dislike water dungeons and sections. The controls are usually annoying for underwater stuff and you can't use a lot of your items so I could do without it to be honest.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Hmmm...Link should be able to go under water like a person in real world would.
BotW being a realistic game certainly reached a great height and gave a different perspective to the game.
In short, I don't want any under water dungeons a couple of treasure chests would do

Renzong of Song

Huangdi
Hmmm...Link should be able to go under water like a person in real world would.
BotW being a realistic game certainly reached a great height and gave a different perspective to the game.
In short, I don't want any under water dungeons a couple of treasure chests would do

I'm not usually a fan of water dungeons either... but if done correctly it might be fun.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Underwater traversal is a woefully underutilized feature in many video games. The opportunities for exploration and discovery it affords are pretty tantalizing.

There are two stipulations to make it work, however.

1.) Controls have to be fluid (u c wut i did thar? :right: ) Nobody wants to fuss with cruddy swimming controls.

2.) There has to be sufficient challenge to diving underwater and sufficient reward for doing so.

I honestly can't think of a game that has managed open world underwater exploration well. The Witcher 3 has a lot of it but it's poorly executed.

Geralt can be underwater only for as long as he can hold his breath (or much longer if you take a potion). The breath mechanic just puts a timer on the amount of time you can stay underwater. There's no challenge. Just an annoying limiting factor.

There's also nothing to discover. Most of the diving takes place in the Skelliger isles and it's all just a painstaking menial collectathon.

Otherwise, Geralt only dives underwater to get at loot or quest items or as a way of getting from A to B that doesn't involve walking.

What if there are pickups underwater that will increase your breath and allow you to stay submerged longer? Perhaps once used they only return on a timer. This would make players have to carefully manage their available breath and pickup resources while diving. Perhaps items or pickups could pause breath consumption momentarily, or extend the maximum amount of breath for a while? This would at least make diving more challenging.

As for an extensive underground. Yeah, that's kinda in the Zelda series' identity. I'd love to see a vast interconnected subterranean network, perhaps one that can be explored in isolated parts accessible from the overworld but can be connected by exploring portions accessible from other parts. Throughout the course of the game, Link would have connected a vast seamless underground complex - perhaps even linking individual dungeons or acting as a fast travel network as well. Think of it as not just several individual dungeons, but several individual dungeons that become one massive dungeon over the course of the adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom