• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BotW2 linear and gated progression

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
what if intended progression includes finding the bow and aiming for the glowing eyes, but a skilled player can hit the glowing eyes without the bow

I feel like my solution just be to not include bosses that require smacking them in the eye or in any other specific weak point. I'm a fan of the Dark Souls method: hit them until they fall down, with it being up to the player to judge when it is safe to smack said boss.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I feel like my solution just be to not include bosses that require smacking them in the eye or in any other specific weak point. I'm a fan of the Dark Souls method: hit them until they fall down, with it being up to the player to judge when it is safe to smack said boss.
so you're not a fan of the way the asylum demon is super hard until you expose its weak point by plunge attacking it or

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
so you're not a fan of the way the asylum demon is super hard until you expose its weak point by plunge attacking it or

Asylum Demon isn't super hard until you expose a weakpoint by plunging into it. It's hard at first because you don't have a weapon. You could skip the plunging attack and still easily kill it. The plunging attack in that context is meant to be an introduction to the concept of the plunging attack for use against later enemies.

Mikey the Moblin

Asylum Demon isn't super hard until you expose a weakpoint by plunging into it. It's hard at first because you don't have a weapon. You could skip the plunging attack and still easily kill it. The plunging attack in that context is meant to be an introduction to the concept of the plunging attack for use against later enemies.
as someone who died after the plunging attack attempt
nah

also what later enemies lol

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
taurus demon is the only enemy I know of that's weak to plunging attacks and it's the boss RIGHT after for most people. Plunging attack doesn't come up as a weakness ever again

It's not a weakness thing, it's that plunging attacks always deal more damage than a regular attack. No one is specifically weak to it. The goal is to create situations where it's useful, and it's still plenty useful against regular enemies.

Mikey the Moblin

It's not a weakness thing, it's that plunging attacks always deal more damage than a regular attack. No one is specifically weak to it. The goal is to create situations where it's useful, and it's still plenty useful against regular enemies.
taurus and asylum demons take extra damage and have unique animations

also no it's not lol

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
taurus and asylum demons take extra damage and have unique animations

also no it's not lol

They have unique animations, but a plunging attack is strong against literally every enemy you can smack with a sword (except sucubi). Any enemy you can drop down on can be dealt extra damage with a plunging attack. I mean that I prefer bosses that don't rely on a gimmick that takes away from the fight. Big glowing eye weakpoints and whatnot.

Mikey the Moblin

They have unique animations, but a plunging attack is strong against literally every enemy you can smack with a sword (except sucubi). Any enemy you can drop down on can be dealt extra damage with a plunging attack. I mean that I prefer bosses that don't rely on a gimmick that takes away from the fight. Big glowing eye weakpoints and whatnot.
plunging attacks will do the same amount of damage to every enemy you hit with it based on armor
except those two, who are weak to it

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Succubus make you fall in love?!

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
plunging attacks will do the same amount of damage to every enemy you hit with it based on armor
except those two, who are weak to it

That just... is not true. Especially since enemies don't have have any sort of armor stat in Dark Souls.

I don't want to drift too off topic here. My point is just that I don't like gimmick boss fights and I've never encountered a Zelda boss with a giant glowing weakpoint that I thought was any sort of good as a boss encounter.

Succubus make you fall in love?!

I dunno. They are pretty hot.

1656600091156.png

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It is and they do lol
Part of the reason split damage weapons are so bad is because of the way enemy damage mitigation is calculated

Sif? Kalameet? Gwyn?

They certainly have resistances, yeah, but they do not have an armor stat.

General purpose jump attacks: yehh. Gimmick boss fights that depend on stunning a weakpoint and slashing three times with the sword: bah.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This thread is so old. Any rumor about BotW 2 from 2020 I cannot take seriously. However the concept, on paper, isn't a bad one. I don't mind if in this game some things are gated behind progressing the story, akin to Skyrim, for example. Basically I want the free roam nature of BotW to be maintained, but also a more linear main quest in terms of plot that eventually leads to fighting Ganoncorpse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom