• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BotW: True to U

So we all know BotW started as a Wii U game which eventually became a Switch title at some point during development.

With WW and TPHD using the two-screens of the Wii U for real time item switching, map and HUD display, it looked like BotW was gonna follow the same route. I think i recall Aonuma mentioning inventory management while travelling on a horse. On the Wii U's second screen this management would have negated pausing if the second screen had been used in real time like WW and TPHD.

The switch to the... Switch obviously meant that the second screen had to be dropped so that the game played the same on both.

A criticism of BotW has been the need to constantly delve into the inventory by pausing the game. Shortcuts for weapons are in there but changing armour and replenishing health all need to be done via pausing.

This wasnt a big thing for me but it did bug a lot of people and was a negative in a few reviews, in some cases harming the game's overall score.

Had BotW solely been on WiiU, do you think it would have kept the real time inventory management seen in WW and TPHD?

Would you have preferred this?
Would it have made a difference to you?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Changing clothes doesn't need to be done on the go as it is an infrequent thing but eating food on the go should be an option. You can quick eat food in both Skyrim and Witcher 3 and it is a much better system than pausing the action.

LinksASleeping

The Adventure Of Me
There are so many types of food with different special benefits that it would be easy to use the wrong item (at least for me). I don't mind using the pause button because I always have.

I think it would have been ok to give Wii U users the option to use both screens, though.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I think the menu was made with the Wii U in mind. All this game needed was a personalised custom hotkeys. Skyrim is probably the only game that lets you do this effectively.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
I haven't played any of the HD remakes since I own the original. So pausing to equip is something I have always done. I was/am actually really excited that we can quick equip swords, shields, bows and arrows. So cool!

I guess in this case ignorance is bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom