• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BOTW Timeline Confirmed

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Honestly, at this point, Nintendo should just say that it doesn't exist on the timeline at all. It's clear that the timeline wasn't at all thought about when designing the world, which is totally fine. But there's no point in being vague about it and act like it belongs somewhere on the timeline, because it really doesn't fit anywhere.
But it does make total sense. It just messes up everything else in the process. They are simplky going with the "Things got jumbled up from story to story allowing this **** to happen". When you think about it makes 100% sense

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I like this. I miss theorizing about game placements, and that bit has been stagnant for years now. This shows that, in the future, they'll be more hands-off with the timeline, which I very much appreciate.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
They didn't confirm that; they confirmed once again that they're leaving it up for debate(atleast for now), which could explain why BotW isn't attached to any of the branches on the updated Zelda Portal site.

Do I have to be politically correct and leave room for the possibility that this isn't Nintendo specifically making a graphic to place Breath of the Wild in the Zelda timeline? I mean, it is possible. But no, no. Nothing personal at all but I'm not the one who created this graphic, I have only the smallest of irons in the fire (I thought BotW would best not fit into a single timeline), so I'm going to say that this is a biased understanding but from my point of view, it's not even an interpretation. I can't help but see opposition to this as being anything but an unwillingness to accept where Nintendo is placing BotW on the timeline (for now). I don't understand how this is controversial. I respect that people do not like the timeline placement, I understand that it could change, I don't even think that a timeline is necessary (and it's probably negative for the series), but this is merely a presentation of fact. Interpret the facts as you will but this is Nintendo: god of Nintendo games.

If anything good comes of this, I think it will be that Nintendo shows us that the Zelda timeline is pliable and not set in stone.

Last edited:
Do I have to be politically correct and leave room for the possibility that this isn't Nintendo specifically making a graphic to place Breath of the Wild in the Zelda timeline? I mean, it is possible. But no, no. Nothing personal at all but I'm not the one who created this graphic, I have only the smallest of irons in the fire (I thought BotW would best not fit into a single timeline), so I'm going to say that this is a biased understanding but from my point of view, it's not even an interpretation. I can't help but see opposition to this as being anything but an unwillingness to accept where Nintendo is placing BotW on the timeline (for now). I don't understand how this is controversial. I respect that people do not like the timeline placement, I understand that it could change, I don't even think that a timeline is necessary (and it's probably negative for the series), but this is merely a presentation of fact. Interpret the facts as you will but this is Nintendo: god of Nintendo games.

If anything good comes of this, I think it will be that Nintendo shows us that the Zelda timeline is pliable and not set in stone.

Did you even read the interview? Nowhere is a convergence mentioned, nor do they say that it exists outside of the branches; on the contrary, Hidemaro says that it's up to the ''imagination of the player'' when asked which branch it takes place on. He didn't say ''all of them'' or ''none of them''. He even said later on that later titles might shed light on BotW's placement, suggesting that there's a more specific placement than just ''the end'' and that he doesn't want to say yet.

And how is a timeline ''harmful''?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Did you even read the interview? Nowhere is a convergence mentioned, nor do they say that it exists outside of the branches; on the contrary, Hidemaro says that it's up to the ''imagination of the player'' when asked which branch it takes place on. He didn't say ''all of them'' or ''none of them''. He even said later on that later titles might shed light on BotW's placement, suggesting that there's a more specific placement than just ''the end'' and that he doesn't want to say yet.

And how is a timeline ''harmful''?
I never implied a convergence. (Remove the plank from thine own eye). If we take a moment to observe the official timeline...what do you know, Breath if the Wild is mentioned ASIDE FROM and AFTER the timelines. In this graphic. Which was specifically made to show where BotW takes place in the timeline(ish). It will likely change, there is no confirmation of anything besides that there is a spot for BotW and it's not on a timeline (at this point). If we're dealing with intent, that's what this seems to mean. Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

Also, an official timeline has stolen a tiny bit of magic from the legend. It didn't ruin the series, it's not something I'm petitioning to have removed, it just detracts from the mystique in a small way.

I think the next zelda game will be all about the convergence. I'd love that, though I know many would not.

But, what a way to celebrate the 20th zelda game by having it merge all timelines...

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Like I've said many many times how can a convergence even work? How could the hero of time win but also not? How can Hyrule be flooded but not be flooded?
It simply can not work.
This official timeline "placement" gives me mixed feelings. Disappointed because it feels pointless to say what has basically already been said, but it's nice to leave it vague as it has potential to bring back timeline theories. Everyone hates the timeline anyway so why not bring back timeline theories?

Reactions: Dio

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Like I've said many many times how can a convergence even work? How could the hero of time win but also not? How can Hyrule be flooded but not be flooded?
It simply can not work.
This official timeline "placement" gives me mixed feelings. Disappointed because it feels pointless to say what has basically already been said, but it's nice to leave it vague as it has potential to bring back timeline theories. Everyone hates the timeline anyway so why not bring back timeline theories?
Well it isn't that those events didn't happen in a convergence scenario, they all did and just end up coalescing. Theoretically a convergence could work because the Triforce can make "any" desire a reality. However I can't adopt the convergence theory unless a game was actually made proving it to be the case. I think it'd be interesting so I won't say I'd dislike a game that established a re-unification of the Timeline.

People need to stop basing the potential of a convergence on real world theoretical science and in game lore; Aonuma is bound by neither of those things.

Aonuma could say BotW is the convergence game and none of us would be able to argue. The fact that the timeline has split at all in the past is dim, especially the branch with no in game evidence.

What Aonuma says goes and that is the science Zelda works on.

BotW Zelda seems to have knowledge of the other timelines depending on the dub you're using and the translation of the original Japanese script; how? Aonuma is how.

Zelda lore fell off a cliff for me with BotW and i hope they can link it back better than where they've left it or move on with some good ideas and consistency because i may not be following Zelda much longer as a gamer who plays for story first.

Zelda has bigger things to worry about than a convergence. But if it were to happen it'll be because Aonuma wills it.

It honestly bugs me when people say 'no, because science'. Has Zelda ever done anything because science? No.
It doesn't even play by its own rules. ALttP is still canon and barely any of that game actually IS canon.

SS is canon yet its existence on the timeline at all dilutes the importance of at least three other canon games because retcons.

Can a convergence occur? Yes because of something I like to call the 'Aonuma-does-what-Aonuma-wants' principal.

Is BotW a convergence? Maybe.
Had one happened before BotW? Maybe.

Is BotW officially at the end of the timeline as we know it? Yes.

Thread answered.

It simply can not work.

Many things in the fantasy genre are impossible in real life. A convergence would easily make sense in the zelda universe. All the histories did happen, but they ended up merging afterwards, simple as. History books would exist with histories of alternate universes. It's easy, I don't know why people deem this so impossible in the realm of fantasy when many other things in zelda contradict science too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom