• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BOTW Timeline Confirmed

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/0...s-been-added-to-the-series-official-timeline/

I'm not going to say I told you so but...well, I guessed you so. It does make sense to me, it's a legend, there doesn't need to be a timeline, I couldn't have asked for a better placement and explaination. By the way, I looked up and down the forums and couldn't find a straight "BOTW Timeline Placement" thread so I started this one.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Oh well, actually this makes sense, and I like it.

The oral tradition is wholly unreliable and any legend or story will be expanded, explored upon, contracted, completely made new again, and ect, allowing for something like Breath of the Wild to happen. Up until this point, the oral tradition has only been correct until Ocarina of Time, when very clearly different people or places either made up a lie, said a false truth (Something they thought was true but wasn't), or something similar, allowing all of those timelines to happen. Along the way, some dude probably heard all of these and then created his own story about Breath of the Wild, incorporating elements from all timelines, allowing for things from each to appear.

Of course, this makes total sense and I agree that that is the best way to conclude so much contradiction in one game, but I also realize that it completely messes up the entire timeline by adding a new, mostly unexpanded upon element that is the possibility of false information and that entire games could have never happened or been mistranslated as different games when in fact they were the same.

With this in mind, we can now completely 100% not trust the timeline to be correct because it adds/expands upon an unstable element that would disrupt/interrupt the entire series canon, leaving the Legend of Zelda series with an element almost (if not) no other game, book, movie, or whatever has ever had because it is 100% the straw past the last in terms of credibility.

In short, the credibility of the entire timeline is shattered because of this, but it would honestly have been worse any other way.

You know what, I changed my mind. I hate it. I really hate it. But I understand it was the best possible option, and prefer it to any other

The only thing it confirms it what most, if not all, have already assumed about it being at the end. It's pretty much a given since the 10,000 year gap is stated in game. What hasn't been confirmed still is which branch. I assume this change, along with swapping the Oracle games with Link's Awakening, happened pretty recently. Though the latter change happened when the LoZ Encyclopedia was released. So why is that article, along with others, using an interview from a year ago making it seem like that interview is a response to the recent change on the site?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Am I wrong in thinking that this is the first time that BotW has been confirmed not to be in any of the three timeline branches? Because I haven't been here much of late and I could have missed it. A couple of people seem to be absolutely convinced that this doesn't confirm anything new. I mean, in the same way that Nintendo not directly confirming that the right joy-con isn't a kumquat means that it could be a kumquat, I could understand how one might want to hold out hope for personal theories since there isn't a nametag on BotW reading, "Hello, my name is DOz not byLOñ 1n inny Of tEh tImelin3s.". I do think that its intentional placement apart from any of the three timelines is reason enough to operate with the understanding that BotW isn't necessarily attached to one of the three known timelines. We must also keep in mind that this is the game series in which a timeline exists because, "Remember how Link died just once in that one game?".

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/zelda/history/index.html

Recently changes have been made to the official history section of the Japanese Zelda Website. Breath of the Wild has been placed at the end of all three timelines, notably, with a seperator, i.e. it still has no definitive placement besides potentially being at the end of one of the three timeline splits.

It has also moved Link's Awakening before the Oracle Games to reflect Hyrule Encyclopedia's Timeline.

What are your thoughts? Do you even care? Honestly this is just confirmation of what we, as fans, already deduced was the case with BotW.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
but they have all started in the same then split then converged back together...

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I feel like theyre giving agency back to the fands a bit.

Fans bugged them for years to give a timeline then complained.

This way its half and half; this is where it goes but we're not gonna tell you how or why.
So you do think from here on they will drop trying to take it upon themselves to make keep up with updating the timeline?

Actually, the reason why BotW has been placed the way it has is to leave it up to people's imagination, as stated in the interview, not because there's a convergence. There's nothing about a convergence in the accompanying interview that elaborates on this. They've also stated before that they're not saying which timeline it's at the end of, before hinting towards the DT in the same interview(still the most sensible placement, IMO).

Am I wrong in thinking that this is the first time that BotW has been confirmed not to be in any of the three timeline branches?

They didn't confirm that; they confirmed once again that they're leaving it up for debate(atleast for now), which could explain why BotW isn't attached to any of the branches on the updated Zelda Portal site.

So you do think from here on they will drop trying to take it upon themselves to make keep up with updating the timeline?

Not sure. If they do direct sequels they probably wont be shy about placements. But theres nothing stopping them bouncing another 10,000 years into the future and giving us agency again.

The way it looks on the site with that dividing line makes it look as if theyre trying to start anew. Maybe they just want BotW to be like a fresh start and theyll continue as they used to.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Honestly, at this point, Nintendo should just say that it doesn't exist on the timeline at all. It's clear that the timeline wasn't at all thought about when designing the world, which is totally fine. But there's no point in being vague about it and act like it belongs somewhere on the timeline, because it really doesn't fit anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom