• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BotW Rated M In Australia(Likely Rated T in NA)

I'm a little surprised.. I wouldn't be entirely surprised with a little bit of nudity like the Great Fairy had in TP, but I feel like the blood element will be way toned down compared to TP (unless it's differently colored blood similar to what Dark Beats Ganon had) . I mean, there was blood clearly present in a lot of Twilight Princess, from Rusl, to the gates that the Bulblins set up around Hyrule (though this is debated because some people also believe it to just be red paint.) I doubt a cel shaded game would be able to pull the realistic blood off as well.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This isn't surprising, the group that does the ratings in Australia often even bans some video games all together rather than giving them the 18+ rating. They're very strict.

The question we should be asking (to those who really know Australian ratings) is what in Botw made it hit the M15 rating bracket?

@Lozjam I would have thought PG would equal the teen ranking though, not M15 but maybe you'll inform me more on why you think this is so.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The question we should be asking (to those who really know Australian ratings) is what in Botw made it hit the M15 rating bracket?

@Lozjam I would have thought PG would equal the teen ranking though, not M15 but maybe you'll inform me more on why you think this is so.
Australia is way, way more tough on Videogame rating systems, then it is here in America. Especially since Americans have more ratings, being E(Anyone), E10+(People 10 and Up), T(Teenager), and M(Mature). Since we have this middle ground between E and M, it's much easier to classify something as not M.

A great and relevant example is Xenoblade Chronicles X, where in Australia it is indeed rated M in Australia. In America, it is rated T.

Breath of the Wild is likely just going to get the T rating for similar reasons that Twilight Princess did. Already, BotW deals with the themes of death, and clearly isn't afraid to show that. Plus, I think a lot of the darker parts of the game, could be quite horrifying like OoT.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I expect a Teen rating. T is the sweet spot. I mean, whatever. Children play M games regardless, so a rating is just a way for a company to cover its behind, legally.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It will probably get a 12+ rating here like TP did. Game ratings in general I find to be particularly harsh not just in Australia but everywhere. A film with an equivalent rating can get away with a lot more than what a game can.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I wouldn't take the rating too seriously, the Australian Classification department has been handing out undeservedly strict ratings for years.

There's probably some stylish kill animation similar to TP's Helm Splitter or Halo: Reach's Assassinations that bumped it up despite not being practical in the real world, nor appearing particularly violent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom