• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BOTW on Switch Has Outsold the Switch

Zachie

Moo
Soooo, in an absolutely insane turn of events, the Nintendo Switch version of BOTW has outsold the Nintendo Switch console itself.

The Switch has sold 906,000 units and the Switch version of BOTW has sold 925,000 units. That means that an extra 19,000 copies of Breath of the Wild have been sold than actual Switch consoles.

Thoughts? Crazy theories?

Easy.

Some people will buy a couple. One to play, one to keep sealed and scalp in the years to come.

Others will have bought the standard and special editions.

Others will be looking to buy a Switch but cant find one because of Nintendo's quantity problem, so knowing they'll get one eventually they'll buy Zelda before it too gets hard to find and wait until theyve bought the console. I did this with Wind Waker HD, i couldnt find a WiiU anywhere for a while so bought WWhd first.

Soooo, in an absolutely insane turn of events . . .
http://nintendoeverything.com/march...ch-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-over-1-3-million/
This is the closest I have to a source for this. Since I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me what website Nintendo uses for it's PR so I can dirtectly link to it.

The most logical answer to this is the scalper market. People brought up as many copies of the game and various collectors editions to hopefully scalp on ebay. Not as many consoles were bought to scalp. I would assume a decent number of the collectors editions bought were to scalp and these scalpers didn't buy the console to also scalp.

Would a few thousand people buy the game a secvond time for legit non scalper reasons? Possibly. Maybe they want the game but are waiting to save up for a Switch or can't get a Switch now. This is a good start for Nintendo and lets hope they follow through with a good rest of 2017.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Wait, I thought that the Switch reportedly sold more than 2 million units before the end of last month?

I doubt these figures are completely accurate... I think they're actually estimates based on the number purchased by stores, not the actual numbers sold to customers... and due to the shortage of consoles, most stores would have gotten in more copies of the game than the console itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom