• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BotW Ends All Timelines... How Would That Work?

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
I was looking at a Zelda Timeline and I recalled a theory that BotW ends all of the timelines. How would that work? That would mean that the Link there doesn't have the Spirit of the Hero. Think about it. In the Adult Timeline, the Spirit of the Hero left Hyrule. That means Link from BotW wouldn't have the Spirit of the Hero, but it is depicted in-game that he does. I mean, sure he's gonna have it in the two other timelines, but if it were in all timelines it just wouldn't work.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Spirits aren't limited by the bounds of the natural world, so there's nothing to suggest that the Spirit of the Hero could not manifest in the newest incarnation of Link, regardless of timeline.

Honestly, having every timeline converge in BotW makes more sense than trying to explain BotW's place across multiple timelines, especially since multiple timelines are referenced in BotW itself. It's a less complicated way of explaining something that doesn't need to exist in the first place.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
The problem is that events would have to occur to bring each timeline to a state individually where they can converge and that hasn't happened. Zora would have to be reintroduced in the adult timeline, for example, and the sages would have to be awakened in the child timeline. If those happened then botw could be a convergence, but they didnt

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The official timeline doesn't claim BotW is at the end of all three, just that it's at the end of one of them but the decision on which has not been made. It could be they are leaving it up to the players to decide, or maybe eventually they will give it a placement.

Answering the question, a convergence of timelines cannot occur naturally unless the conditions are right for it, probably. Each version of Hyrule on the timelines at some point would have to be very similar, and have some of the same historical events. The outcomes of certain key events could be different, but the overall shared history would still be basically the same. This way a natural convergence can happen seamlessly and nobody would be aware of the change.

It's sort of like the Mandela Effect, where many people have a shared memory of something but it doesn't line up with the truth of the reality they are in. Either it's a widespread instance of false memory, or some would claim it is proof that there are multiple timelines and some people are shifting between them, the latter can never be proven though.

It's definitely possible that the downfall and child timelines could converge, events on the Adult Timeline are so majorly different though that it makes the odds of a natural convergence extremely low.

The next best thing is a divine convergence, either someone used the Triforce to merge the timelines, or the gods randomly decided to do it. How someone could be aware that there are other timelines is a big unknown that makes this an unlikely scenario. The gods randomly deciding to merge the timelines is sadly the best answer simply because it's the easiest one.

I was looking at a Zelda Timeline and I recalled a theory that BotW ends all of the timelines. How would that work?

Short answer? It doesn't.

It has been confirmed that BotW is at the end of a branch where there has been many battles with Ganon and the OoT sages were awakened.

Only one branch fits both conditions(hint: It's neither the Child Timeline or Adult Timeline).

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
Short answer? It doesn't.

It has been confirmed that BotW is at the end of a branch where there has been many battles with Ganon and the OoT sages were awakened.

Only one branch fits both conditions(hint: It's neither the Child Timeline or Adult Timeline).
I thought it was Downfall.

I was looking at a Zelda Timeline and I recalled a theory that BotW ends all of the timelines. How would that work? That would mean that the Link there doesn't have the Spirit of the Hero. Think about it. In the Adult Timeline, the Spirit of the Hero left Hyrule. That means Link from BotW wouldn't have the Spirit of the Hero, but it is depicted in-game that he does. I mean, sure he's gonna have it in the two other timelines, but if it were in all timelines it just wouldn't work.

In Wind Waker Link has to do the Tower of the Gods to prove himself. I believe when this happened a new “Spirit of the Hero” was created and gets “passed on” to the Link we seen in Spirit Tracks and any subsequent games.

This has been bothering me, since it was brought up a few conversations back. I've never seen confirmation that the Ocarina sages are not awaken in the child timeline. If young Link was supposed to have revealed his knowledge, to young Zelda, I doubt that he would have stopped at just Ganon. It seems all to natural that he would also reveal information about the sages, the very method he has already seen to defeat Ganon. We see corresponding sages in Twilight Princess, though they are not named, and look different; but as was dissected in another conversation recently, artistic style is nothing to go by. The very nature of the floating mask faces tells me that their identities are hidden.

Answering the question, a convergence of timelines cannot occur naturally unless the conditions are right for it, probably. Each version of Hyrule on the timelines at some point would have to be very similar, and have some of the same historical events. The outcomes of certain key events could be different, but the overall shared history would still be basically the same. This way a natural convergence can happen seamlessly and nobody would be aware of the change.

This is why Hyrule Warriors is such a missed opportunity. With time being manipulated, and the worlds being mixed across time lines, the whole thing could have provided the perfect setup for a purposely fused timeline, by an in universe character. Last I herd, it was made canon, again, but who knows at this point. :shrug:

I thought it was Downfall.
Yep! Now we just have to wait for Nintendo to come right out and say it.

I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This is why Hyrule Warriors is such a missed opportunity. With time being manipulated, and the worlds being mixed across time lines, the whole thing could have provided the perfect setup for a purposely fused timeline, by an in universe character. Last I herd, it was made canon, again, but who knows at this point. :shrug:
Nah, HW isn't canon. HW: Age of Calamity also has yet to be officially stated to be canon.

This has been bothering me, since it was brought up a few conversations back. I've never seen confirmation that the Ocarina sages are not awaken in the child timeline. If young Link was supposed to have revealed his knowledge, to young Zelda, I doubt that he would have stopped at just Ganon. It seems all to natural that he would also reveal information about the sages, the very method he has already seen to defeat Ganon. We see corresponding sages in Twilight Princess, though they are not named, and look different; but as was dissected in another conversation recently, artistic style is nothing to go by. The very nature of the floating mask faces tells me that their identities are hidden.

Sheik says that the sages are destined to awaken when ''evil rules all.''

This never happens on the CT.

There's no evidence that Link told Zelda about the sages. All we know is that she was told about Ganondorf's plan. In fact, the Japanese intro of MM outright said that he vanished from the legends, indicating that he was not remembered.

ハイラルに伝わる 王家の伝説 そこに 一人の少年が 登場する

A boy appears in the legends of the Royal Family told in Hyrule

巨悪と戦い ハイラルを救ったのち彼は、伝説から 姿を消した・・・

He vanished from the legends after fighting the gigantic evil and saving Hyrule...

時をこえた戦いを終え 彼は 人知れず 旅に出た

After the battle across time ended he departed into a secret journey

冒険の終わりで 別れた かけがえのない 友を探す旅に・・・

HH also confirms that the HoT is not remembered on the CT, so naturally, neither would the sages.

Link not being remembered does not equate to someone else not being remembered.

Plus, assuming that Link does say something, is just as dubious as assuming that he doesn't. While it is natural to reveal the plans of the enemy, along with how he was defeated, I am willing to admit that it is not certain. Saying that something doesn't happen, because we don't see it, is just as uncertain. If we add in the idea that Breath of the Wild could happen on that timeline, then it suggests that something had to have happened.

Plus, who are the sages in Twilight Princess? If not the same ones we know, are there multiple sets? We know Rauru was awakened during that time. I think he was one of those glowing sages.

This thread asks one major question; how would it work. It would be more interesting to see problems like this (the sage awakening), and see solution, instead of folded arms saying it's impossible. It's obvious that the developers intended for the game to be able to fit at the current end of every time line. (Despite it fitting best for the downfall.) So pointing out problems is only half of the whole issue. Finding possible fixes is the other half.

The official timeline doesn't claim BotW is at the end of all three, just that it's at the end of one of them but the decision on which has not been made. It could be they are leaving it up to the players to decide, or maybe eventually they will give it a placement.

Ooooooooooooh, okay. That makes sense now.

Plus, who are the sages in Twilight Princess? If not the same ones we know, are there multiple sets? We know Rauru was awakened during that time. I think he was one of those glowing sages.

I always just figured they were the ancient sages who built the temples you go through in OoT, and they were killed by Ganondorf during the seven years Link was in his coma, which was why they needed Saria, Darunia and the others. Since they didn't die in the child timeline, the ancient ones were able to handle things with Ganondorf's execution (at least so we thought...). The fact that there's no new sage to replace the one who got killed during that implies they didn't need a replacement.

Link not being remembered does not equate to someone else not being remembered.

Plus, assuming that Link does say something, is just as dubious as assuming that he doesn't. While it is natural to reveal the plans of the enemy, along with how he was defeated, I am willing to admit that it is not certain. Saying that something doesn't happen, because we don't see it, is just as uncertain. If we add in the idea that Breath of the Wild could happen on that timeline, then it suggests that something had to have happened.

If you make a claim that something happened, the burden of proof lies with you to prove it. It's also possible that the Hero of Time was a drug addict either off screen during the events of OoT or after MM, but until we see proof, we're justified in saying he wasn't. That's how the scientific method works.

Considering the fact that Rauru says that he was one of the Ancient Sages, it seems like that's the group in TP, especially since we know that the Ancient Sages were already around during the era of SS(we see their medallions in the Sealed Temple)., and that the conditions for the OoT sages to awaken(''evil ruling all'', etc.) are not fulfilled.

And why wouldn't the HoT be remembered is the Awakened Sages are? He's the one who awakened them!

This thread asks one major question; how would it work. It would be more interesting to see problems like this (the sage awakening), and see solution, instead of folded arms saying it's impossible.

Or, we could stop trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole, and just go with the conclusion that requires the least leaps in logic.

Or, we could stop trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole, and just go with the conclusion that requires the least leaps in logic.

You realize that none of the pegs are round, neither is the hole, and the developers obviously intended the whole to fit any of the pegs? Choosing the one peg that fits with the least rotation, while refusing to rotate the others, does not show logic; it shows lack of imagination. It's just as much as a stretch that Hyrule has had dealings with the Twilight Realm in the downfall timeline, as it is for sages with particular particular names to have been awakened in the child timeline, as well as Gannon being reincarnated in the adult timeline.

If you make a claim that something happened, the burden of proof lies with you to prove it. It's also possible that the Hero of Time was a drug addict either off screen during the events of OoT or after MM, but until we see proof, we're justified in saying he wasn't. That's how the scientific method works.

Spoken like a lawyer, but not a scientist. A lot of great science has been done by placing the burden of proof on proving, or attempting to prove, that something is false. The fact that the title was designed to be able to fit at the current end of each of the three timelines tells us that some events had to have happened in these timelines, and perhaps the people in universe believe that it happened.

And why wouldn't the HoT be remembered is the Awakened Sages are? He's the one who awakened them!

And? While he slipped away to go do his own thing, the sages would have, in this case, stuck around Hyrule, doing things that would have been recorded in the history books. Alternatively, we know that Zelda, Link, and Ganon are not the only ones to be reincarnated through the ages. Why would the sages be exempt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom