• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

BotW - Are the "Seven Heroines" Sages?

Thanks to the existence of the Gerudo script, I've been going around Gerudo Town and throughout the desert translating what I can find. One thing that caught my attention was the writing on the statues of the Seven Heroines. All along the hem and trim of the "robes" of the Heroines is Gerudo script. Translated, it repeats the phrase "The Seven Sages." If this is indeed true, the only times in history that we had seven sages was during Ocarina of Time, as well as the descendants of the sages in A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds.

According to Rotana in Gerudo Town, "Each heroine had a different power: skill, spirit, endurance, knowledge, flight, motion, and gentleness." Basing this on the sages from Ocarina of Time, I believe each "power" represents the following sages:

Skill: Shadow/Impa (Sheikah are known for their technological developments and skills in combat)
Spirit: Spirit/Nabooru (as the Sage of Spirit)
Endurance: Fire/Darunia (Fought alone against Volvagia before Link arrived, as well as being able to endure and withstand the heat of Death Mountain)
Knowledge: Time(?)*/Zelda (Makes sense as the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom)
Flight: Light/Rauru (Could either be because of the sealing away of the Temple of Light or even a mistranslation for Light)
Motion: Water/Ruto (Gracefully swimming through water like the other Zora)
Gentleness: Forest/Saria (She was always kind to Link and to everyone around her)

*Disclaimer: There is no consensus on what Zelda was the sage of, so this is pure speculation based on her ability to send Link back in time and referencing the Goddess of Time in Majora's Mask. Regardless of what she is the sage of, this does not bear any weight on my argument.

The colors of the orbs that need to be placed on their pedestals and the symbols on the Seven Heroines themselves also match the colors of the Sage Medallions with the exception of one, which is white (and never had a medallion).

What makes this whole scenario more confusing, though, is the Eighth Heroine. "The Seven Sages" is also written on her robe, but it's mirrored. Whereas the Seven are all facing each other with a shrine in the center, the Eighth is facing away from Gerudo Valley and facing the direction of Hyrule (more directly toward Hyrule Castle and the Great Deku Tree). Could this eighth one represent the Hero of Time watching over Hyrule?

Bozai also mentions that the existence of the Eighth Heroine was "Wiped clean from history, and no one knows why or how..." We know during Twilight Princess, the Hero's Shade laments not being remembered as a hero, and the existence of this statue has apparently been forgotten by all but a few.

What are your thoughts? Do you think these statues could represent the Sages and Hero of Time from Ocarina of Time? Why or why not?

You make some good points. But the statues are all female, and 2 of the sages from OoT were male as well as Link. Plus Rotana says the Heroines were protectors of the Gerudo, which isn't the role of The Sages from OoT. Also, apparently you can get one of the weapons that was probably wielded by at least of one of the Heroines- The Scimitar of the Seven. The Sages in OoT never used such a weapon. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just some issues I find with that theory.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Zelda is the Leader of the sages. also, I've been looking at these statues as well. I noticed that on the base of one of them, it has a symbol closely resembling the Spirit medallion. so I think that it's very possible. it could also be a reference to the Shrine maidens from FS Adventures.

Why would it be them, they needed to be rescued by Link. They didn't protect the Gerudo and don't exactly fit as heroines.

Why would it be them, they needed to be rescued by Link. They didn't protect the Gerudo and don't exactly fit as heroines.

The sages also had to be rescued by Link, but they were invaluable in the fight against Ganon and sealing him away. Same with the Shrine Maidens keeping the power of Vaati at bay. Just because someone needs to be rescued doesn't mean they can't also be a guardian. Link has needed rescuing at times before, too, and he's the legendary hero.

As far as being exclusively Gerudo guardians, it's possible they adopted those statues into their own culture considering the time difference between Breath of the Wild and the games that come before it regardless of which timeline it fits into. As we've learned in our own world, information and lore can be lost, re-imagined, and/or adopted by different cultures over thousands of years.

Personally, I think they may be a group of sages we haven't seen yet, like how the sages in OoT and the sages in TWW are different groups.

The sages also had to be rescued by Link, but they were invaluable in the fight against Ganon and sealing him away. Same with the Shrine Maidens keeping the power of Vaati at bay. Just because someone needs to be rescued doesn't mean they can't also be a guardian. Link has needed rescuing at times before, too, and he's the legendary hero.

As far as being exclusively Gerudo guardians, it's possible they adopted those statues into their own culture considering the time difference between Breath of the Wild and the games that come before it regardless of which timeline it fits into. As we've learned in our own world, information and lore can be lost, re-imagined, and/or adopted by different cultures over thousands of years.

But there is still the matter of the 8th heroine. One of the heroines had a fallen out with the most of the Gerudo, hence the removal. This doesn’t fit anything with any previously known sages or maidens.

An interesting note, similar statues appear in the Yiga Clan hideout, 8 of them in a circle with writing on them that I haven't translated. Though these have their faces covered with the upside down Sheikah symbol. Seems there is definitely more to the statues than being unrelated sages/maidens. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if these heroines defended the Gerudo against a Yiga Clan attack, possibly invasion to retake the birthplace of Ganon. The Yiga Clan could have been driven back to where their hideout currently is, made their home on a former Gerudo property. The 8th statue may have been a Gerudo traitor. There really isn't anything linking 8 statues to 6 or 7 sages/maidens. Though as Moblinking says, they could be some we haven't seen yet in a game.

But there is still the matter of the 8th heroine. One of the heroines had a fallen out with the most of the Gerudo, hence the removal. This doesn’t fit anything with any previously known sages or maidens.

An interesting note, similar statues appear in the Yiga Clan hideout, 8 of them in a circle with writing on them that I haven't translated. Though these have their faces covered with the upside down Sheikah symbol. Seems there is definitely more to the statues than being unrelated sages/maidens. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if these heroines defended the Gerudo against a Yiga Clan attack, possibly invasion to retake the birthplace of Ganon. The Yiga Clan could have been driven back to where their hideout currently is, made their home on a former Gerudo property. The 8th statue may have been a Gerudo traitor. There really isn't anything linking 8 statues to 6 or 7 sages/maidens. Though as Moblinking says, they could be some we haven't seen yet in a game.

I just went into the Yiga Clan hideout and translated what is on the walls and swords of the eight statues. On the walls, it says the following:

GERUDO
THERE
IS NO
STRIFE
GERUDO
WATER
WE
FLOW
WITH
LIFE

On the swords of the statues, it says the following:

GERUDO
AN
UNBLEMISHED
DESERT
FLO

The rest of the text is hidden away by the rocks, but the plaques in the throne room of the palace in Gerudo Town do speak of desert blooms at dawn a lot (I'll come back another time/soon with those full translations - I've written down the translations in a sketchbook that I've misplaced temporarily). I'm assuming given the proximity to Gerudo Desert and with many of the statues there desecrated with Yiga Clan graffiti and banners that it used to be a Gerudo fort that was later taken over by the Yiga Clan. These statues and the numbers seven and eight are definitely important, as you've pointed out, and on a former Gerudo property. You're absolutely right. As far as that eighth statue being a Gerudo traitor, it's a possibility. We need more evidence to support both of our claims, but they are both valid arguments for or against them being sages. And as others have mentioned before, they may be related to sages that we have never seen yet and may or may not be addressed in future games.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Thanks to the existence of the Gerudo script, I've been going around Gerudo Town and throughout the desert translating what I can find. One thing that caught my attention was the writing on the statues of the Seven Heroines. All along the hem and trim of the "robes" of the Heroines is Gerudo script. Translated, it repeats the phrase "The Seven Sages." If this is indeed true, the only times in history that we had seven sages was during Ocarina of Time, as well as the descendants of the sages in A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds.

According to Rotana in Gerudo Town, "Each heroine had a different power: skill, spirit, endurance, knowledge, flight, motion, and gentleness." Basing this on the sages from Ocarina of Time, I believe each "power" represents the following sages:

Skill: Shadow/Impa (Sheikah are known for their technological developments and skills in combat)
Spirit: Spirit/Nabooru (as the Sage of Spirit)
Endurance: Fire/Darunia (Fought alone against Volvagia before Link arrived, as well as being able to endure and withstand the heat of Death Mountain)
Knowledge: Time(?)*/Zelda (Makes sense as the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom)
Flight: Light/Rauru (Could either be because of the sealing away of the Temple of Light or even a mistranslation for Light)
Motion: Water/Ruto (Gracefully swimming through water like the other Zora)
Gentleness: Forest/Saria (She was always kind to Link and to everyone around her)

*Disclaimer: There is no consensus on what Zelda was the sage of, so this is pure speculation based on her ability to send Link back in time and referencing the Goddess of Time in Majora's Mask. Regardless of what she is the sage of, this does not bear any weight on my argument.

The colors of the orbs that need to be placed on their pedestals and the symbols on the Seven Heroines themselves also match the colors of the Sage Medallions with the exception of one, which is white (and never had a medallion).

What makes this whole scenario more confusing, though, is the Eighth Heroine. "The Seven Sages" is also written on her robe, but it's mirrored. Whereas the Seven are all facing each other with a shrine in the center, the Eighth is facing away from Gerudo Valley and facing the direction of Hyrule (more directly toward Hyrule Castle and the Great Deku Tree). Could this eighth one represent the Hero of Time watching over Hyrule?

Bozai also mentions that the existence of the Eighth Heroine was "Wiped clean from history, and no one knows why or how..." We know during Twilight Princess, the Hero's Shade laments not being remembered as a hero, and the existence of this statue has apparently been forgotten by all but a few.

What are your thoughts? Do you think these statues could represent the Sages and Hero of Time from Ocarina of Time? Why or why not?
I find this very possible, and I see no reason why this could be not true

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom