• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild BoTW 1 Year Later

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Today, March 3, 2018 is the 1 year anniversary of Breath of The Wild.

After a year, have your opinion about the game changed? Are you still playing it? What are your thoughts about BoTW after this milestone?

Ryuken

Ace Adventurer/Truth Seeker
I'm still finding new ways to play it as well as new ways to dress Link up. I remember being hyped when Skyward Sword came out, thinking it was going to be the one game I never stop playing due to its motion-controls. Breath of the Wild, however, is the open-world Zelda game I've been wishing for since Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, so it'll hold a special place in my gaming library for years to come.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Though I don't play it as often since I'm playing other games atm, I still get at it once in a while. One of my favorites, and It's definitely proved to be one of the best Zelda titles ever. Last I remembered it sold over 6 million copies.

Ninja

Well well well
Haven't really played it since beating the Champions Ballad. I still think it's a great time killer and a different take on Zelda than usual.

I hope that the franchise perfects this concept with the next title as they already have the groundwork built.

I play it from time to time. It is damn beautiful but aside from collecting golden crap there isn't much of a reason to play it and collecting golden crap isn't much of a reason to play to begin with.

Mario Odyssey is way more fun to put on and mess about in.

I've not played BotW since the Champions Ballad DLC came out. Looking back at this game a year later and.... I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of this game. When I saw the trailers for this game, I actually was excited to play this, but after playing it + the DLC, BotW went from being built up to be an epic game, to a mediocore letdown. It's not the worst Zelda I've ever played, but it is no way my favorite. the Combat is cheap, the weapon system is a nuisance and quite flawed, the exploration is a little pointless and the story was a letdown. The things I do like about this game is it's good use of amiibo, spectacular graphics and fitting music.

Overall, I feel BotW is just fan service for people who like exploration games and did everything it could to tear itself away from what we recognise as Zelda. Honestly if it weren't for the Amiibo tunics, I probably wouldn't of played it as much as I have. Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting Nintendo to forever do the same thing over and over again and I do respect their decision to take zelda in a new direction, but I feel they probably went about it the wrong way and went way overboard with the convention breaking.

To those who absolutely love this game... it's your game and I hope you continue to enjoy it, but for me I think Zelda has died a little for me, maybe it's because i'm not with the times or I'm getting old for this I dunno. I'll probably keep my eye on the next Zelda and I hope they improve on BotW's shortcomings.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Breath of the Wild laid the foundation for a masterpiece next Zelda. All it has to do is improve the story, sidequests, and a few mechanics, and it will become a masterpiece

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I'm still pretty obsessed with BOTW. It took some getting used to, when it first came out. But now, I can't stay away. I play it multiple times per week, even if it's just to explore for an hour to relax after a long day. I'm towards the end of my second play-through at the moment. There are obviously some things that could have been improved upon (that ending killed me!) but I hope that Nintendo will take those things and improve upon them for the next game release. BOTW is in my top 3 for favorite games of all time, I thoroughly enjoy it despite its flaws.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't play it. The story is thoughtless and dull. And I don't find the gameplay to be very fun as it is basically a poor man's Assassin's Creed crossed with Skyrim. Had I played BoTW first it would have probably been exciting and fun to me in the gameplay department, but I'd done it all before by the time it came out.

I find the overworld bland and empty with no decent soundtrack to make the trek less of a drag. I find the combat annoying with the weapons breaking every few hits. It's a pointless cycle, killing enemies to get weapons to replace broken weapons that you killed enemies with.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I played from launch day until I had completed all shrines, beasts and beaten Ganon (didn't rush anything, and had a blast exploring everything). I did not go for the Koroks much because I did not like that there was no detector to help me eliminate a bunch of random trees, rocks, etc. I did actually boot up a new game not too long after and played for a while, doing a new approach to where I went first and what I got, but it was probably too soon to redo everything, so I eventually took a break. I did revisit the game when the first portion of DLC hit and did the first trial and picked up the Korok mask and portal (in my first game), and I did locate some Koroks with the mask and such, but it was still too soon to go back in. I then didn't play much of any video games for a while, which is normal for me. My interests tend to fluctuate between different types of media, and some of my shows had new seasons hitting. Plus I'm very involved in boardgaming in my area, so I got my gaming fix that way.

I did finally get a Switch at the end of November, finally feeling comfortable financially to do the plunge (had to replace several appliances in the apartment, and had a holiday trip to cover and such), and I picked up BotW as one of the first games and booted up a new game while waiting for my copy of Odyssey to arrive in the mail, and then played a bunch of Odyssey once it did. Life got to be very busy the rest of the year, so I held off from continuing BotW as I knew once I dived back in it would mean losing hours upon hours to the game at a time, and played several indie titles instead. It wasn't until life slowed down a little again and I felt my energy level return that I felt I could properly dedicate myself to the game, which I now have.

I'm currently going through a new run on my Switch with pro hud mode, and I'm having a blast actually hunting down Koroks as I explore the areas, the Korok mask being my default headgear (only swapped out whenever I need a set bonus). I found at least 60 in one sitting yesterday, and whenever the mask alerts me of a Korok, I don't give up until I have found the little bugger. I'm about halfway through the shrines (not counting DLC), done just one beast and no sword trials yet. The game obviously won't have the same massive impact on me as it did the first time, since I now am so familiar with the world and where I go to find things, but I still love it, it's still my favourite. Doing the pro hud helps with the exploration feel, because I now navigate by landscape and not pins on my map and I pay even more attention to what I see, so even smaller things get investigated. I look forward to doing the DLC content, but I'm not in a rush, there's still a ton to do and I want to take the proper time to enjoy it.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
At the moment, it's a current no play from me. I only bought a Switch and BotW towards the end of November last year and I haven't been finding it particularly fun or engaging. I actually stopped playing and am having a hard time mustering up enough motivation to go back and finish it.

I do enjoy exploring the world, but I don't like the content that that world offers up to me as I explore it. I find most aspects of the game repetitive, somewhat boring, and definitely dislike the breaking weapon mechanic of the game (other games, such as Elder Scrolls IV did this same concept, but allowed for repairing of damaged items which I was much more comfortable with. Especially if it was a weapon I enjoyed using a lot.). And I particularly dislike the rain in this game as it does nothing but impede exploration, making it very frustrating when I want to climb something, but can't.

If I ever end up finishing this game and the DLC, I don't think I'll end up playing it very often, with a very high chance that I may never play through it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom