• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Bosses That Depend Only on the Sword to Beat

One thing I loved about Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds is the bosses that don't require a specific item to use, just the sword. I've always felt that since Link is a swordsman, taking an opponent down with just his signature weapon is a real sign at how skilled he is, plus it makes sense.
Do you think that more games should features bosses like this? If it were story driven or if the opponent was a humanoid character like Ghirahim and Yuga were, then it would fit the battle.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, definitely. Really, action-focused bosses in general need to be a focus in the series, even when items are involved (like it was in the classic games), and it looks like that style's been brought back with SS and ALBW. I'm really anxious to see how Zelda Wii U follows suit.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I agree, I like bosses that rely on swordplay rather than using the item as a key to unlock victory (I'm looking at you TP...)

Not to say that other items can't be used to assist you in battle, in fact it's a fun hobby of mine to find out alternative methods to defeating bosses (one of my favorites is using Chateau Romani and roll around in Goron Link to kill Twinmold, it's a lot like Shadow of the Collossus that way). And with ALBW I had fun messing around with the different magical items on that turtle boss. But that's the thing, they're either simple alternatives or can be used to assist you in fighting (or just simply add a bit of flair to the battles), they aren't the one and only required way to defeat the bosses (again, looking straight at TP). The main method of defeating foes should remain swordplay and reading your opponent's moves, as I find it's much more strategic than "Use X item to unlock weak spot and win".

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I think one on one swordplay is fine, and in some cases more than fine, however I don't think its the key factor to boss battles. Some really good bosses have required multiple items. Koloktos, one boss that most can agree is incredibly satisfying, doesn't require the sword for most of, if not all, the fight. Ghirahim's final form is also thought to be satisfying and it only uses swordplay. As long as the player can feel fully engaged, then that's the kind of boss I want. If it involves only using the sword, than so be it.

I should also note that the bosses should vary. If ALL bosses, or even a majority, only rely on swordplay, this potentially could get very boring. (There are ways to make it not boring, however).

Last edited:

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Not the entire game should consist of these kind of bosses in my opinion. It is pretty awesome when some of the bosses are made especially for your sword. SS is the best example offcourse, but what about Dark Link in OoT? One of the most epic clashes in the entire series in my opinion. I bounced of my seat when I first played that battle as a little kid. Sword only bosses can be really epic.

I do think however that a good Zelda game needs a mix. You should use some of the items you got from the temple in the boss battles. Some of my favorite bosses of all time don't even use the sword at all. Goht from MM was extremely awesome to play. Just racing around as a Goron katapulting yourself on top of the boss. Or what about the Twilight Skeleton from TP? Best (and practically the only) use for that spinner item ever! It felt extremely arcade to beat that boss.

My point is that I think a good game has both kinds of boss battles.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I like a good old fashioned sword fight, and even in the item-happy games previously mentioned, the final bosses always relied on sword skill, which is how it should be when it comes to Link. But I would like it if they would allow you the freedom to devise your own strategy to beat bosses, not just use one item. I mean it is so ingrained into us that the item you get in the temple is the one you need to beat the boss that my brother tried using the beetle on Girahaim and got killed. :p

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Or Ocarina of Time for that matter. Most of the bosses there required an item other than the sword.

Yes, but they also had much more interesting mechanics than what you'll find in the GameCube entries.

My point is that I think a good game has both kinds of boss battles.

I don't think that's what this thread is about at all. It's simply suggesting that there should be MORE bosses that focus on swordplay.

Skunk

Floof
There should be different ways of beating each boss, and one of those ways should be sword usage alone.

Salem

SICK
I wish bosses would just change change things up, some require only the sword, some require a specific item, some both some need MULTIPLE items. Yeah, variety is fun.

I'll be honest. It kind of depends on the point of the battle.

If it's going to be a sword only fight, I'd prefer it be a duel like Shadow Link from OoT or Ganondorf from TP.

If the point of the battle is to find and exploit the weak spot, then I think an item should be involved. That way, you have to strategize a bit more than just "ok, it's attacking so I don't get hit, then I take a shot and hit its weak spot when it gives me an opening."

I have to agree with Ocarina Player, there should be multiple options when it comes to killing the bosses. I mean, seriously, if a boomerang can stun something-a bomb should be able to do some damage or kill it. It just makes sense. Not talking about anything specific here just saying that it shouldn't be required to follow a specific pattern when it comes to killing stuff. Dead is dead.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
what about Dark Link in OoT? One of the most epic clashes in the entire series in my opinion. I bounced of my seat when I first played that battle as a little kid. Sword only bosses can be really epic.

I always liked to use the Megaton Hammer and Din's Fire on Dark Link to mix it up a little.

I like some sword-based battle but I definitely agree that there should be a mix of different styles in a Zelda game. Sometimes it's good to use other items to beat the boss alongside the sword, and it's an interesting idea to have Link use different weapons- like maybe if he was isolated from his sword, like in the first phase of Ganon in OoT if you don't have the Biggoron Sword. It's fun to experiment with the other items and find different ways to kill a boss or even a mini boss. One of my favourite items to do this with is Bombchus, which are really underused otherwise. You can use them on Iron Knuckles. However, I think the reason SS feels satisfying despite mainly only using the sword to fight with in boss battles is because of the Wii Motion+. The controls made it more fun to use a sword than pretty much any other weapon because it was like actual swordfighting.

MW7

I agree that more bosses should be fought with the sword. The Ghirahim fights were a highlight of Skyward Sword for me. Bosses in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess were mostly limited to having their weak point tied to their dungeon item. This made for some of the most predictable and insultingly easy boss fights of the entire series. I mean of course some bosses should have a weakness tied to an item if it makes sense, but going out of the way to tie a dungeon item to a boss isn't a good idea (for example the dominion rod in Temple of Time wasn't really even a combat item). There's no reason for boss fights to be a game of figuring out how to use the dungeon item every time. On the other hand Nintendo also shouldn't steer completely clear of this mechanic because it can be done well (Ocarina of Time had imo 3 great boss fights that fit this category- Phantom Ganon, Volvagia, and Twinrova- in addition to several horrible ones). Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword didn't fall victim to this syndrome too often, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I think they had the best boss fights. As you mentioned ALBW was a great example as well.

Sword battles are exciting, yet there isn't much variety to be had. Capping battles like this at two per game is a reasonable amount. The first encounter would be against a brainless minion like Moldorm, while the second would be closer to the end, a drawn-out atmospheric sparring contest like WW or TV Ganondorf or Ghirahim.

A mixture of predictability with traditional bosses weak to the items found within their lairs, sword battles, and more open-ended strategy with multiple viable items to beat the boss, and even necessary, should make fights less stale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom