• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bosses in Zelda I and II

What's the story with the bosses in the first two games? Were they guardians of the Triforce shards/crystals? Were they Ganon's minions? Or were they just wild animals that happened to be there? What do yall think?

Agent B

The King of Hyrule
I think the bosses in Zelda 1 are guardians of the Triforce of Wisdom preventing anyone from getting it. I think the bosses in Zelda 2 are Ganon's minions that are sent out to kill Link, reviving Ganon in the process; they were also there to stop him from waking up Zelda.

Due to their constant reappearances throughout the game, I would have to guess that the bosses in Zelda I are just random monsters who made their way into the abandoned temples. The Hyrule in the first Zelda seemed pretty post-apocalyptic and scarcely populated, so I don't think that any guardian type entities would still be around. I also don't think they could be Ganon's minions, as it would be pretty stupid to have minions guarding shards of your most sought after thingy as opposed to just taking it. I'm pretty sure all of the Zelda II bosses were Ganon's minions trying to revive him, except for Dark Link who was a test created by the Triforce itself.

Zelda II's bosses were not minions of Ganon. Only the monsters in the over world were.
According to the official story:

"This was written on the Scroll: "You who'll control the Triforce of the future. I shall hand down to you the secrets of the Triforce. There are three kinds of Triforce - Power, Wisdom, and Courage. When these three are brought together, the Triforce will share its maximum power. Of the three, I have left Power and Wisdom in the kingdom. But the Triforce of Courage I have hidden for a reason. Not everybody can use the Triforce. It requires a strong character with no evil thoughts. But an inborn special quality is also necessary. Unfortunately, I have not found such a person during my lifetime." "Therefore, I have decided to cast a spell on all of Hyrule. A crest will appear on a young man with that character who has been brought up correctly, has gained many kinds of experiences and reached a certain age. But, what will happen if someone else uses the Triforce before then? If it is misused, it will produce many evils."

"The Triforce of Courage is hidden in the Great Palace in the Valley of Death on the largest island in Hyrule. However, to enter you must first fight the guardians and undo the "binding force". When you have defeated the guardians, which I made to prevent enemies from invading the six palaces in Hyrule, set a crystal in the forehead of the statue you find. When you have set crystals in all of the statues in the six palaces, the "binding force" placed on the Valley of Death will be removed and you will be able to enter the Great Palace. There you must fight the last guardian. And you can obtain the Triforce only by defeating that guardian. There's nothing to fear. You are the one to get the Triforce. You are the beacon of hope for Hyrule."

So obviously the bosses are guardians Link has to defeat to prove himself worthy of the Triforce of Courage, they do NOT serve Ganon.

Zelda II's bosses were not minions of Ganon. Only the monsters in the over world were.
According to the official story:

So obviously the bosses are guardians Link has to defeat to prove himself worthy of the Triforce of Courage, they do NOT serve Ganon.

What about Barba. I remember reading somewhere that is is another reincernation of volvagia. How would the King be able to get Volvagia doing the guardian job?

What about Barba. I remember reading somewhere that is is another reincernation of volvagia. How would the King be able to get Volvagia doing the guardian job?

Keep in mind that Volvagia being pure evil came after Zelda II was made, during OoT when it became the monster that terrorized the Gorons. As for an in-universe explanation, well maybe Volvagia serves whoever revives it. In OoT that was Ganondorf, in Zelda II the King may have revived him so he served the King instead. Or they could possibly be separate entities, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom