• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Boss vs breakable weapons question

Say you're fighting a boss in BotW in a room. You have to beat the boss to get out of the room. You whike fighting the boss, broke your last weapon. How do you kill the boss?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's possible that situation may not occur and you don't get locked in with the bosses in this game. The other alternative is when you die you come back outside the boss room so you can turn back and get some equipment.

That would be a pretty sad way to die. Almost beat a boss and boom used up your last weapon. . . well that sucks, come kill me boss so I can spend god knows how long farming more weapons to try and beat the boss again.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That would be a pretty sad way to die. Almost beat a boss and boom used up your last weapon. . . well that sucks, come kill me boss so I can spend god knows how long farming more weapons to try and beat the boss again.
Breakable weapons kind of suck anyway though don't they. In Fallout 4 their removal was a welcome thing in my eyes.

Breakable weapons kind of suck anyway though don't they. In Fallout 4 their removal was a welcome thing in my eyes.
Breakable weapons is kind of like giving melee weapons ammunition of a sort. An axe you can't swing is like a shotgon you can't shoot (out of ammo). It only sucks because there is no weaker base weapon that never breaks. So basically I'll be attacking with whatever weapon I have the most of or using the environment to kill things to save the better weapons for possible tougher fights and boss battles.

I always liked Zelda games, sure the majic meter sucked but at least I can go to town on everything and anything with Link's sword whenever I want to. That is always fun. Those days are over sadly. Botw limits how often you can attack, based on how many weapons you farm.
This is exactly why I never used the Razor Sword in Majoras Mask. It looked amazing but 100 hits with it? What the ****? I'll just wait for the golden sword thanks.

Having so many good weapons you can't use cause you're savimg them up for boss/tougher enemy battles is just like every other game. At least in other Zelda games you could bring in magic bottles to get more uses of the weapons. Here you have to go farm as many weapons as you think you'll need for a dungeon. This is a dungeon you've never been in and have no idea how long it is and how amny weapons you'll need. So you're guessing at best how many weapons you'll need.

In short yes breakable weapons suck as much as weapons with ammo do. But having a weak weapon as a backup that you can always use makes the system work cause you're never stranded without a way to attack.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Breakable weapons is kind of like giving melee weapons ammunition of a sort. An axe you can't swing is like a shotgon you can't shoot (out of ammo). It only sucks because there is no weaker base weapon that never breaks. So basically I'll be attacking with whatever weapon I have the most of or using the environment to kill things to save the better weapons for possible tougher fights and boss battles.

I always liked Zelda games, sure the majic meter sucked but at least I can go to town on everything and anything with Link's sword whenever I want to. That is always fun. Those days are over sadly. Botw limits how often you can attack, based on how many weapons you farm.

Having so amny good weapons you can't use cause you're savimg them up for boss/tougher enemy battles is just like every other game. At least in other Zelda games you could bring in magic bottles to get more uses of the weapons. Here you have to go farm as many weapons as you think you'll need for a dungeon. This is a dungeon you've never been in and have no idea how long it is and how amny weapons you'll need. So you're guessing at best how many weapons you'll need.

In short yes breakable weapons suck as much as weapons with ammo do. But having a weak weapon as a backup that you can always use makes the system work cause you're never stranded without a way to attack.

In games with ammo there is nearly always ammo to find because all the enemies use it as well. And even then you can usually melee enemies if you run out so you can get some more. Link unfortunately can't go around punching enemies in this if he runs out of weapons so he is pretty stuck if he runs out during an important battle.

On the topic of saving the good weapons and good disposables I tend to end up never using them because in my mind there is always going to be a situation I will need them more in.

What would be better than destructible weapons is if they became weaker when broken rather than actually being destroyed completely.

What would be better than destructible weapons is if they became weaker when broken rather than actually being destroyed completely.
As long as you can farm up materials for a weapon sharpening recipe, then I'd say this is a great idea. I'm all for it.

The other way is to have a separate weapon stamina meter that replenishes itself everytime you enter a new zone or warp somewhere. This means weapons don't degrade but you'd only have so many hits with all weapons (each weapon uses up differing weapon stamina amounts) before you do 1/2 then 1/4 damage per weapon hit. Weapon stamina potions would exist though to fill this special stamina meter.

You'd only have one weapon stamina meter for the whole dungeon. Run out of weapon stamina potions? Then you're stuck doing 1/2 or 1/4 damage. I think that's fair.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
As long as you can farm up materials for a weapon sharpening recipe, then I'd say this is a great idea. I'm all for it.

The other way is to have a separate weapon stamina meter that replenishes itself everytime you enter a new zone or warp somewhere. This means weapons don't degrade but you'd only have so many hits with all weapons (each weapon uses up differing weapon stamina amounts) before you do 1/2 then 1/4 damage per weapon hit. Weapon stamina potions would exist though to fill this special stamina meter.

You'd only have one weapon stamina meter for the whole dungeon. Run out of weapon stamina potions? Then you're stuck doing 1/2 or 1/4 damage. I think that's fair.

It could be done with potions or they could implement blacksmiths around the world which you could go to to have your swords honed and sharpened.

I have a feeling they've already thought all this through.

Like, for example, bombs and other items run by the Sheikah Slate are unlimited. Dungeons are littered with random weapons. Some weapons are better about durability than others, and I suspect there is some crafting/upgrading available.

Also, the master sword is in the game...somewhere. And it is damaged. Maybe you can go on a quest to repair it and it becomes an "unbreakable" weapon?

Either way, this is Nintendo we're talking about and with them they always ensure that gameplay and fun are king, so I don't think they'll leave us hanging. Unless of course you decide to charge Ganon in your shorts...then you're on your own.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have a feeling they've already thought all this through.

Like, for example, bombs and other items run by the Sheikah Slate are unlimited. Dungeons are littered with random weapons. Some weapons are better about durability than others, and I suspect there is some crafting/upgrading available.

Also, the master sword is in the game...somewhere. And it is damaged. Maybe you can go on a quest to repair it and it becomes an "unbreakable" weapon?
They had the Hylian Shield in SS as the indestructible shield. I would hope both that and the Master Sword return as the indestructible items this time around.

Unless of course you decide to charge Ganon in your shorts...then you're on your own.
You know there will be many speed runners aiming to do just this :D
They had the Hylian Shield in SS as the indestructible shield. I would hope both that and the Master Sword return as the indestructible items this time around.
The issue with that is by the time you got it, you had finished most of the game, and this made the overall effecitveness on the shield low cause for most of the game you didn't have it. Sure it's useful on the last few parts in the game but past that no Hylian Shield for us.
its possible there could be weapons within the boss room, as well(perhaps parts of the bosses, even?)
As long as they respwn so you can't ever use them all up. Like respawn on a timer or something, then all good.

Or they just put items in the boss room that can be used as weapons, just like how you can get hearts from skulls or bushes in many battles. I hope retreat is not possible from a boss.

Night Owl

~Momentai
First I would identify removable parts that I can use as a weapon, then I'd check the rest of the environment.
When all else fails, I'd end up trying Sheikah powers or other items.

Worst case scenario, I commit boss assisted suicide and regroup if possible.

I'd probably try several of these tactics before using any weapons just to see if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom