• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Boss Struggles (3D Games)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Before everyone starts attacking me saying Zelda is an easy series etcetera etcetera. I know it falls on the easy side, but that doesn't mean it can't be challenging.

The reason why I categorised this thread into "3D" bosses only, was simply because these are the games that people feel are easier and where the bosses generally went downhill, so to say. However, I've definitely been stuck on a few bosses and even had some pretty embarrassing deaths - even multiple deaths in the same battle. So were there any bosses that you particularly struggled on?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time (3D, 3D Master Quest) - I struggle with Phantom Ganon during three heart runs. He's killer and I always mess up timing.

Majora's Mask - nothing.

Wind Waker - If I come back to a three heart run file after playing Twilight Princess, Ganon (final) really messes with me.

Twilight Princess - nothing.

Skyward Sword - nothing, not even with a PS2 controller

I regularly had trouble fighting Morpha in Ocarina of Time. It's strange because I've never had a hard time navigating the Water Temple; it's only the dungeon's boss that aggravates me.

For whatever reason, I miss latching onto the nucleus when it's exposed, falling into the water and taking damage when Morpha's tentacles arise.

Nowadays, I stay in the corner like a pansy and wait for Morpha to resurface, taking my time without taking any damage. It takes me around 15-20 minutes to complete the battle.

Deku

...But I ain't no scrub.
I remember playing Ocarina of Time for the first time when I was 10, and having to fight the Barinade seven times before actually defeating him. I have far less trouble now, but I always feel that same fear of death whenever I step into the boss room...

I might as well throw a list down as well:

Ocarina of Time: The Barinade
Majora's Mask: Gyorg (Underwater battles always make me nervous. Lack of typical maneuverability for a boss fight, I suppose)
Wind Waker: I don't recall anything being particularly challenging in this game. I just loved all of the boss fights.
Twilight Princess: Nothing stands out for me here either. Just a lot of fun :)
Skyward Sword: Ghirahim

Ghirahim (in ANY form) really screwed with me. As a swordsman, I've found I'm a flailer. My Kamikaze style doesn't really work for bosses like him.

Salem

SICK
Twinrova, no it wasn't particularly hard, it was more of an annoying boss battle in comparison to other ooT bosses. I found some of later Ghirahim fights one of the more challenging fights in the series, even though I didn't remember dyeing against him. I probably died more often against the bosses I consider today to be easy back in the day than Ghirahim.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Ocarina of Time

I don't have problems with any of the bosses now, but that was different during my first playthrough. Phantom Ganon was kind of difficult at first because I would guess the wrong picture he'd come out of and I'd forget to roll out of the way of it's attack. I had some problems with Morpha too because the battle is too long so I'd get inpatient and run into the spikes, fall into the water, or get grabbed by it. I also had a problem with Bongo Bongo because I was bad at Z-targeting, so I'd get hit or grabbed by him. I only had a problem with Ganon though because I'd run out of magic.

Majora's Mask

I had problem with batting Twinmold. Even with the Giants Mask it was hard to hit their head. I died so many times, but the fist few times I didn't use any Chateau Romani, so that might have been my problem. I also had faced some difficulty fighting Majora/Incarnation/Wrath. I'd run out of arrows in this battle. Magic wasn't an issue because I still had the Chateau Romani effects from the Twinmold battle. I also couldn't handle Wrath's spam attacks.

The Wind Waker

Puppet Ganon was the only boss that killed me in that game. I was sucking at aiming with my boomerang and bow during the first form so I lost a lot of magic and hearts. The second form wasn't to hard, but his 3rd form was annoying. I didn't know what to do. I ended up wasting all my magic and arrows on him before landing one hit. I got him the second time with luck though.

Twilight Princess

The Stallord battle was hard for me. I can't time things for my life, which made his second for annoying. I'd keep falling off the spinner thing or miss attacking him. Argorok was also annoying, especially in the Wii version because I had trouble aiming with the Wii-mote

Skyward Sword

Never played it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I call BS, you've admitted to dying to basic enemies on a PS2 controller.

Dying =/= struggle just saying (in my opinion :eek:nion:)

I would also like to add that the bosses in SS are even easier than basic enemies. They're over much quicker, even, and their attacks ar eridic. So that's just me (again in my opinion :eek:nion:)

If you had struggle with SS bosses that's fine by me :)

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I'm probably the only one but I always had trouble with Ghirahim, embarrassingly enough, in his first form. I honestly have no idea why, but every time I replay SS, I always suck at fighting him the first time.
In Oot, I am absolutely dreadful at going up against Phantom Ganon at the end of the Forest temple. I'm just not fast enough with my bow and my aim sucks when I can't take my time to properly aim it.
In MM, I have trouble with Gyorg. I always miss him with my zora fins and he's frustrating as all heck.
I don't usually have any troubles with any of the TP bosses.

I never found many of the bosses from the Zelda series that difficult, but I do have an embarrassing death story...

Last summer while playing through the entire series with a friend of mine, we had to play OoT on the gamecube (collector's edition with master quest). The controller I was using was awful and had a delay between pressing the button and the action on screen. This didn't seem to be much of a problem (I actually didn't notice it at all) until the fight with Ganondorf... I died twice from messing up the timing of having to hit the energy balls back. Then, the third time I ran out of magic and thus couldn't use light arrows (I blame the oversensitive control stick for my poor aim :P). I finally beat him the fourth time, but my friend ridiculed me for the rest of the summer because of that one fight!

Mido

Version 1
Mido's List
-Ocarina of Time's Twinrova: The battle was easy at first, but once the sisters morphed together for a one-man show, I was in trouble. Her attacks were draining my hearts very quickly, and as a result, I was forced to fight her with only 3 hearts for over half the battle.
-Majora's Mask's Odolwa: Given I never played the entire thing, this was the only boss I could pull out of the hat. I found it difficult to bypass Odolwa's defenses at first, and his attacks became intense, not to mention his constant chanting! :D Nonetheless, it wasn't an extremely difficult fight.
-Wind Waker's Gohma: I know what you're thinking. Gohma may be the first boss, but for me as a kid, she was a pain in the behind! I could never figure out how to beat her....EVER! It took me at least a full year to finally figure out about a certain Valoo's Tail that was suspended over the top of the volcano. Man, it just brings me bad memories.... :dry:
-Twilight Princess's Stallord: I never finished this game while borrowing it, (Dang Sky Temple!), but for any boss that proved difficult for me in this game, I'd give it to Stallord. It really wasn't the issue of difficulty, but more of an issue of duration. I had so much fun fighting Stallord, but man, was it a long fight. To be honest, I can't really provide much input on TP's bosses.

All in all, I can definitely see eye to eye on boss difficulty for the Zelda series. It all can be attributed to the duration of the battle, the boss's abilities/attacks, or the environment in which the battle takes place.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
OoT: Not really any. I think I died on Volvagia once and the drum can be a bit annoying with Bongo Bongo. That's it.

MM: These bosses were more challenging than OoT yet not struggles UNTIL: King of Ikana if he counts. Took me a few tries. THENNN
freakin Twinmold. The first time I played MM I hadn't gotten the Magic Bar upgrade or any sword upgrades so I spent forever screaming at the game when I'd inevitably run out of magic to use the Giant's mask and die in the effort of trying to get more magic. in fact, i never defeated him. I ended up using cheat codes on that rom and just cheating the rest of the game. I played the game more times though and beat him genuinely without much trouble

WW: the only "struggle" was with the Moldorm form of Puppet Ganon. Its hard to hit his tail with the bow

TP: Nothing really. these bosses were VERY easy. The closest thing to a struggle was playing bumper stalfos with the bumper trying to get to Stallord's spine and even that didn't take too long

SS: The first time I fought Ghirahim I didn't know how to hit him without him catching my sword that took like one try to figure out. I know he's just a mini boss but Scervo took me FOREVER on my first play through. I didn't grasp the concept up only swinging vertically and I couldn't for the life of me get the stab to work so this guy took me many many tries

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom