• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Boss Names!!! Xd

Zorth

#Scoundrel
do you peeps like the feature with the boss name showing up when boss is all badass or do you dislike it?
you want a description or just a name?
or do you want something different let me know what you think :D

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I always kind of liked it. It was kind of a shame they left it out of The Wind Waker. They never did it in the 2D games, though, and I never minded its absence there. :/ I don't expect that it's going anywhere, though, especially considering the fact that we're unlikely to see another strictly 2D Zelda game (I say strictly because I think we'll still get 2D gameplay like Phantom Hourgalss and Spirit Tracks).

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I don't see why they sould take it out, I can't think of anything bad about it. Can anyone else?

I always kind of liked it. It was kind of a shame they left it out of The Wind Waker. They never did it in the 2D games, though, and I never minded its absence there. :/ I don't expect that it's going anywhere, though, especially considering the fact that we're unlikely to see another strictly 2D Zelda game (I say strictly because I think we'll still get 2D gameplay like Phantom Hourgalss and Spirit Tracks).
I suspect the reason you didn't mind its absence in the 2D games is because none of the 2D games had the kind of cinematic presentation that the 3D games have. One of the things that's cool about having the boss name and title appear on the screen when the battle starts is it adds to the presentation. The buildup is done and the boss has appeared, and seeing the name and the bad*** title adds to that. Some of the 2D games could benefit from it, but they still don't really have the cinematic presentation to really need it. Especially games like Legend of Zelda, where the boss doesn't even have its own music, and A Link to the Past where it may have its own music but it still only appears without any kind of introduction (well, with a few exceptions).

As for me, yeah, I'd like to see it again. Like Caleb I missed it a lot in The Wind Waker, because it felt less epic and also because I felt far less informed about what was going on. I even missed it in Twilight Princess because the titles were only ever one word different. The titles in a way helped anchor the boss to the area. If gave you an explanation, however brief, of what the boss was and why it was there. If Nintendo wants to omit it, then I think they should actually expand on that, and try to build up an atmosphere of mystery and tension with the dungeons, bosses, and the game in general. That could be cool, and that would be one way I think taking out the name and title could actually benefit the game. As of right now, though, no Zelda games do that so it's good as-is I think. I doubt Skyward Sword will deviate from that, the epic presentation of the series.

Djinn

and Tonic
I wonder if the titles and names were removed from later games since they seemed a little awkward to some having an introduction in each boss fight. I supposed it can seem a little weird to have an opening cinematic to each large monster you encounter as if they were characters themselves. Although OoT did this in many places, each time you entered a town there would be a title screen saying Lon Lon Ranch, etc. that was just how OoT worked out.

Maybe they can be brought back but in the form of your sidekick introducing them, or giving their name to the player. Navi and Midna already had the function of naming every enemy you encountered as well as a little bit of info on them. They could call out something like "It's the Legendary Giant Aquatic Amoeba: Morpha!" That way the boss is properly introduced without any strange vivid intro, it would connect with the gameplay easily as something a character said rather than appear as a break from the game just to give the name of the monster to the players.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I liked it ... as Axle mentioned it adds to the presentation cutscene when you enter the boss room. My favorite one is probably Gyorg's because of the freeze-frame when he's in mid air. I'm pretty sure he's the only one out of OoT and MM bosses that it does that for, but it comes out of necessity since he's in the midst of diving back underwater and that was the only way to give you a decent look at him.

I wonder if the titles and names were removed from later games since they seemed a little awkward to some having an introduction in each boss fight. I supposed it can seem a little weird to have an opening cinematic to each large monster you encounter as if they were characters themselves. Although OoT did this in many places, each time you entered a town there would be a title screen saying Lon Lon Ranch, etc. that was just how OoT worked out.

Maybe they can be brought back but in the form of your sidekick introducing them, or giving their name to the player. Navi and Midna already had the function of naming every enemy you encountered as well as a little bit of info on them. They could call out something like "It's the Legendary Giant Aquatic Amoeba: Morpha!" That way the boss is properly introduced without any strange vivid intro, it would connect with the gameplay easily as something a character said rather than appear as a break from the game just to give the name of the monster to the players.
But did you actually feel that it was weird or awkward yourself, or is this just a hypothetical. I've never heard from someone who didn't like that method of boss presentation, and so far in this thread it seems like everyone likes it. Which is why I kinda wonder why it was removed from The Wind Waker at all, since everyone seems to like it. :?

Hero of…. #s, I guess
That feature is a must! I've got to KNOW my Subterranean Lava Dragons when I see them!

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes. I loved the introduction of boss names. And more important is that they have a really cool title to go along with them, and all this goes along with a little clip to show of the bosses power and might (I believe they did this in all 3D titles).

Djinn

and Tonic
But did you actually feel that it was weird or awkward yourself, or is this just a hypothetical. I've never heard from someone who didn't like that method of boss presentation, and so far in this thread it seems like everyone likes it. Which is why I kinda wonder why it was removed from The Wind Waker at all, since everyone seems to like it. :?

Not necessarily to me but I can understand just how to some it would be a little annoying. You finally get through the dungeon and then discover the final boss room only to have this interruption right in front of you that you must sit through before you can get back to playing. The fans who are interested in the larger aspects of the story and love learning new things like boss names would not have any trouble with this. But the casual fans who only feel like completing the game and have generally no interest in the deeper aspects of Hyrule outside of playing a fun or challenging game would probably like to skip the nonsense of giving large monsters only meant for defeating a special name and introduction of their own. Just like all story aspects (like cutscenes), they are not for everyone and some would simply like to skip it and get back to playing the game.

Even if it does only last ten seconds at best.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
would be easy if they could make the options more advanced so you can choose if boss names should show up, if your companion can interrupt the game, difficulty, cutscenes and so on.... so if you've beat the game or just dont care about the story and fun facts so you could skip all of that.... or if you totally LOVE it like me you can sit through it.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom