• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Boss Difficulty?

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
So long ago, at Nintendo's E3 round table conference, Miyamoto mentioned that all the had left to work on with SS was creating some more dungeons, polishing the game up, and maybe most importantly, he said that they were trying to create some more challenging bosses.

I, like many others, has had no trouble defeating the bosses in the last two 3D games, WW and TP, and thus, I think that creating more challeging bosses for Skyward Sword will be one of its most important aspects. Firstly because it will result in a more satisfying game overall, if you feel like you've acomplished something in defeating the bosses, and secondly, it would be part of Nintendo's "Shorter, but denser game".

Take TP for example, it had a massive 9 dungeons, with only a few "mildly challenging" bosses. If Skyward Sword has closer to, say, The Wind Waker's 6 dungeons, but those dungeons held 6 very challenging bosses, the game might feel a little denser. Though this game might not go for the extremely difficult, I'm sure that Nintendo will make the game challenging for us veterans.

Tell me what you think, how difficult should SS' bosses be, should there be fewer, more challenging dungeons? Just post your thoughts...

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I would like there to be many dungeons, as in A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess. And I want them harder. I want dungeons that actually require spending a few hours in them. Not necessarily long, but hard. But as for the last dungeon, I want it to be hard and long, like ALttP's Ganon's Tower.

As for the boss difficulty, I would like to see them try to bring the 3D boss difficulty up to the 2D boss difficulty. But this, I mean harder, hits do a more than half a heart damage, and some that require thinking for how to attack them and not having an obvious weak point. And I would love it if the final boss difficulty was like Onox/Veran. That was a great way to end the games, and I want the same with Skyward Sword.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
last fight in OoT was a total joke....
hope they make the bosses in SS like you said more challenging and fun :D

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
Why not have as many dungeons as OoT? That game had enough so that it would keep me entertained for days. I also heard a rumor that there will be two different difficulty levels in the game. If that's true, it would all depend on the difficulty you choose.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I want them to have all the story dungeons, but after you beat *insert final boss here* then it unlocks new dungeons that are 3D remodels of the origional LoZ dungeons, coplete with all the bosses!!!

Ganondork

goo
I want a lot of dungeons like in ALttP, but I want to spend a day or two in there. I remember when I played TP (at the age of 8 or 9) I spent maybe a day in there. But now, when I play through it again, it's a hour and a half trek; and that's just 4 or 5 years later. I want the bosses to be in your face, but not like how in TP where each boss presented itself as "tower over Link..."ROOOOOOOOOAR! *Link raise shield". I want a boss to be occasionally Link's size, or smaller, but be a speed demon or be hard to hit in its weak spot.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Why not have as many dungeons as OoT? That game had enough so that it would keep me entertained for days. I also heard a rumor that there will be two different difficulty levels in the game. If that's true, it would all depend on the difficulty you choose.

But don't you agree that less more challenging dungeons would make a more solid playing experience, rather than 10 easy ones? Hmmm...:)

J

jack-o-lantern

Well in response to the OP keep in mind that Nintendo said "smaller and denser" not "shorter and denser". This was reffering to how large and empty TP's overworld was and that they wanted to have a smaller but more jampacked overworld ala Majoras Mask. So we could end up with a massive 9 dungeons but still have a fun/exploration - packed lengthy game. :D

Back to the topic, I would love to have harder and more challenging bosses. I want less obvious weak points and a lot less predictability. I think SkywardSword absolutely needs to have a straight- up swordfight. Dark Link would be perfect with his fight mirroring and I think where the changed formula can come in is that maybe we can have bosses in more random places so you are not expecting it. They also could have bosses that can't just be taken down by the item that correlates to the dungeon they are in. The moment you get the item you already know that you need that to defeat the boss. Maybe now you have to use a combination of the current item and previous ones to defeat the boss. Just my 2 cents

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Well in response to the OP keep in mind that Nintendo said "smaller and denser" not "shorter and denser". This was reffering to how large and empty TP's overworld was and that they wanted to have a smaller but more jampacked overworld ala Majoras Mask. So we could end up with a massive 9 dungeons but still have a fun/exploration - packed lengthy game. :D

Back to the topic, I would love to have harder and more challenging bosses. I want less obvious weak points and a lot less predictability. I think SkywardSword absolutely needs to have a straight- up swordfight. Dark Link would be perfect with his fight mirroring and I think where the changed formula can come in is that maybe we can have bosses in more random places so you are not expecting it. They also could have bosses that can't just be taken down by the item that correlates to the dungeon they are in. The moment you get the item you already know that you need that to defeat the boss. Maybe now you have to use a combination of the current item and previous ones to defeat the boss. Just my 2 cents

Dang! Your right, silly me :) You could be 100% corect about the density and what-not. 'sigh' I huess we'll just have to wait and see.

well, I dont see why we cant have both challenge with the bosses and many dungeons, I think everyone would like it to be like this

and I have to agree just in some way with the last OoT fight, its an epic moment in a epic game, ganon looks great (powerful :P), but gameplay wise, I think it wasnt a very good fight like many others in the game, ganon is a little to slow, the weak point, well, lets say is, not cool xD (?), I think this fight should have had a little more action, but it still was ok

what I am talking about is that they need to be well designed bosses, I dont want challenge only because they can kill you in one hit, of course they NEED to make a good amount of damage, but I dont want this to be the only reason because they would be a challenge

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
They need to put Dark Link is this game. Make him VERY challenging, as in you will NEED a fairy. Make it so that you will have ot be GOOD at the game to not die. I want you to have to focus on blocking his lightning quick attacks and then him have a small opening for you to get a few hits in and make him have a lot of hp. Another thing I want is I don't want all the bosses to be 50x bigger than Link. Most giant bosses are easy, for example the Goron mines' boss, who was a sad sorry CAKE WALK! A few breathtaking bosses with enormous size that Link would have to climb up " Shadow of the Colossus Style " would be great, but I also want a boss that is Link's equal, which is why I want a VERY hard Dark Link fight.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
well, I dont see why we cant have both challenge with the bosses and many dungeons, I think everyone would like it to be like this

and I have to agree just in some way with the last OoT fight, its an epic moment in a epic game, ganon looks great (powerful :P), but gameplay wise, I think it wasnt a very good fight like many others in the game, ganon is a little to slow, the weak point, well, lets say is, not cool xD (?), I think this fight should have had a little more action, but it still was ok

what I am talking about is that they need to be well designed bosses, I dont want challenge only because they can kill you in one hit, of course they NEED to make a good amount of damage, but I dont want this to be the only reason because they would be a challenge

It`s just that fewer dungeons wich were harder would equal a denser game, I`m just saying... Also, what Aonuma said doesn`t sound like the game will be a 10 dungeon monster.

Pen

The game is on!
I want the game to be long, with many dungeons and bosses. But still, I really don't want the bosses to be as unchallenging as they were in Twilight Princess. So yeah, I want the bosses of Skyward Sword to be a challenge for me, although they shouldn't be so difficult that I won't be able to defeat them.

But I would want Skyward Sword to be a challenging game overall! :D

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
If the difficulty were about on par with OoT I would be very content. The bosses in that game were difficult, but not overly so. I don't want it to be so extreme that it turns me off of the game, but I also don't want them to be so easy that it's boring.
As long as they're more difficult than (most of) TPs bosses, I'll be content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom