• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Borrowing Processes from OoT: Likes/dislikes

As we know MM borrowed a lot from OoT like characters, items, sounds etc... But I wanna know about processes and parts of the quest, which parts you liked doing again, and which you felt wasn't good or necessary. I will show in my list below examples and whether I liked them or not. There was so much similar, odds are I forgot some. I wanna know what you guys thought as well.

Woods of Mystery-Lost Woods

Dislike-Trying to replicate the lost woods, this part just seemed kinda pointless, and didn't have the charm of the lost woods

Navigating through Deku Palace-Hyrule Castle Gardens

Like-This one was fun, a better playground as well to run and hide in

Deku Butler Race-Dampe Race

Like-Both similar, though Dampe had the better prize

Goron Shrine-Goron City

Neutral-The best part is rolling around, but the crying baby is awful and the layout isn't as cool

Romani Ranch-Lon Lon Ranch

Like-Certainly lots to do at this ranch and a huge property to run around

Dog Race-Castle Town Dogs

Like-An interesting way to bring this back, fun to watch the race

Zora Hall-Zora Domain

Like-I like this one better, the stage and the individual rooms make it that much better

Pirates Fortress-Gerudo Fortress

Like-Very fun and well done in both games

Pinnacle Rock-Desert Wasteland

Like-Both weren't huge parts of the game, but killing the eels was fun

Graveyard-Graveyard

Like-Some of my favorite spots in both, but the stalchildren and under the graves were awesome

Beneath the Well-Beneath the Well

Dislike-Not really done well at all in MM, and the layout was very bland

Skulltula Houses-Skulltula Quest

Dislike-I liked the overall collection rather than going out of the way and doing them all at once, though an interesting idea

Great Fairy Fountains-Great Fairy Fountains

Dislike-While an added challenge, it was a bit too much! I didn't wanna do the work for these fairies!

Town games-Town Games

Like-The octoork shooting game is absolutely brilliant

Thats all I got, likely missing some. Overall the game did a good job of bringing back specific game play processes and having to do them again.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
[Note: I enjoyed essentially all borrowed elements, so I'll just list my preferences.]

Preference: OoT; there was more to find and things to be found with each revisit. The Woods of Mystery were essentially a one-time use only.

Preference: MM; I felt that the stealth portions were designed better than they were in Hyrule Castle.

Preference: MM; I enjoyed the race itself more, but OoT definitely had the better prize.

Goron Shrine-Goron City

Preference: OoT; There was more to do in terms of sidequests and I enjoyed the layout more.

Preference: MM; The sidequest was much better in my opinion, and I enjoyed the expansiveness of the area.

Preference: MM; There was worth in entering the race multiple times, and using the Mask of Truth to predict the winner was a clever mechanic. In OoT, there was only a one-shot sidequest regarding the dogs.

Zora Hall-Zora's Domain

Preference: MM; The integration into the main quest was good, the layout was great, and the band sidequest was interesting.

Preference: MM; Similar to the Deku Palace, I thought the stealth portions were better and the level design was much greater. The underwater puzzles were neat, and the aesthetics of the area were much more appealing to me compared to the boring gray brick textures of the Gerudo Fortress.

Pinnacle Rock-Desert Wasteland

Preference: MM; Battling the snakes and collecting the eggs as Zora Link was fun.

Graveyard-Graveyard

Preference: MM; Manipulating the Stalchildren with the Captain's Hat was both interesting and funny. I also enjoyed the content under the graves more.

Preference: OoT; Fetching the items for the Gibdos could be a real hassle, though many of the items they wanted were located in the well. Overall, though, I enjoyed the more traditional dungeon treatment given to the well in Ocarina of Time more.

Preference: MM; Though searching the entirety of Hyrule for the Skulltalas was fun at times, I liked finding all one hundred in a confined area more. Many good puzzles were integrated to both Skulltala venues.

Preference: MM; In Ocarina of Time, the fountains were easy to find the abilities were given away like candy. In Majora's Mask, finding all the Stray Fairies and getting the ability after felt much more rewarding, and the effects of the gifts the Great Fairies gave you really showed.

Town games-Town Games

Preference: MM; I enjoyed the games in this game more, simple as that.

I completely disagree with your opinion on the Skulltula Houses. While a overall Collectathon quest is fun, the Masks covered that, and the houses (Especially the Ocean House) were really great mini-dungeons.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Caution, long post ahead

Dislike. Ocarina of Time's Lost Woods was jam packed with stuff to do, and was overall more interesting. You have the slingshot target game thing, playing the Ocarina for multiple Skull Kids, the Forest Stage, and the Sacred Forest Meadow. All we had in Majora's Mask was a rather simple layout, that changed every day. There are the incredibly annoying Snappers that always got in my way while I was trying to find the monkey. The whole area of "The Woods of Mystery" was very poorly done, and I didn't like it at all. The Lost Woods are much better. Plus, Forest Temple!

Like. They are both quite fun, and I always enjoy them; however, the one in Ocarina of Time is a lot easier (almost too easy), and just doesn't look as nice. The one in Majora's Mask was, though still easy, quite a bit harder. It was also a lot more aesthetically pleasing, and I thought it had a much better layout. Not to mention, it is divided into two different sections, each yielding a different prize. It also has the upper sections, which I thought was a really neat idea, being able to fly over the gardens while watching out for the Mad Scrubs, and making sure you don't fall and get caught.

Like. They were both very solid and well done races, but I liked Majora's Mask's better. The Ocarina of Time one definitely has the better prize, that is undeniable. However, the Majora's Mask one looks nicer, is slightly more difficult (in my opinion), and I also found it to be more fun.

Goron Shrine-Goron City

Dislike. I love Ocarina of Time's Goron City. There is a ton more to do there, main and sidequest wise, and the place is (for the most part) brimming with activity. There is hardly anything to do at the Goron Shrine. The place is tiny, and the only sidequest is the rather tedious one with the meat. The crying baby is incredibly annoying, as well. Overall, it is one of the few places in Majora's Mask that I really don't like.

Like. Main quest wise, Romani Ranch is only good for getting Epona. However, sidequest wise, which the game puts extra emphasis on, there is a lot to do at Romani Ranch. From the Cucco Roundup, to the Doggy Racetrack, and even the freaking Alien Abduction (which, I might add, is one of the coolest sidequests in the series). Aside from getting Epona and her song, all there was at Lon-Lon Ranch was a Heart Piece, and some Gold Skulltulas. Romani Ranch is a far better location. Plus, I really enjoyed the story between Romani and Cremia.

Like. The dogs in Castle Town contributed nothing besides being annoying, and one Heart Piece. Granted, the same could be said about the Doggy Racetrack, but they were much more involved there. Being able to pick up random dogs for a race was a really neat idea. Far better than getting followed around the market endlessly.

Zora Hall-Zora's Domain

Like. Zora's Domain was cool, for sure. However, the Zora Hall took it further by actually adding rooms, and making the design more sea-like. Plus, it's the home of a rock band (which, ironically, plays smooth jazz XD), which is awesome in its own.

Like. I actually found the Gerudo Fortress to be kind of boring. I mean, it was a neat concept, sneaking around and killing the guards. However, the aesthetics were boring and quite bland. Majora's Mask had, like Big Octo said, much better stealth portion, and the aesthetics of the place were a lot cooler. Collecting the Zora eggs was fun as well, though I do admit that leaving and returning, especially with only one bottle, was quite tedious. I still loved it overall.

Pinnacle Rock-Haunted Wasteland

Like. What was there to do in the Haunted Wasteland? Get one freaking Gold Skulltula, and 50 pointless rupees. What was there to do at Pinnacle Rock? Battle the extremely cool sea snakes in a quest to collect Zora eggs for Mikau's depressed girlfriend. I think there is a clear winner here. Pinnacle Rock is much more involved, much more innovative, and much more fun. Haunted Wasteland, though a cool concept, is really bland, and rather boring.

Graveyard-Graveyard

Like. Both graveyards are cool, but I like Majora's Mask's better. The one in Ocarina of Time was pretty boring. There really wasn't a lot to do there quest wise. In fact, the only thing that is required there is the Hookshot (which is the prize for a race which, as stated above, I liked better in MM anyway). The graveyard in Majora's Mask, however, is full of stuff to do. There are three grave stones to go into, one each night, each of which has a really cool interior. Of course, the graves can't even be entered before beating an overworld boss, which happens to be located in that very graveyard. Definitely the better of the two locations.

Strongly dislike. The well in Majora's Mask was extremely poorly done. The one in Ocarina of Time actually felt like a mini dungeon, and quite a scary one at that. The one in Majora's Mask was nothing more than simply giving Gibdos some items to be granted entrance through the many doors. It's boring. I always look forward to the well in Ocarina of Time, since it is such a cool and mysterious place.

I'm undecided on this one. They are both really fun. I'm leaning more towards Ocarina of Time though, simply because it was more spread out. Majora's Mask, although a cool concept, kind of ruined the Gold Skulltulas for me. Don't get me wrong though, as I still love the Skulltula houses.

Like. In Ocarina of Time, the fountains were a nice addition to the game, and yielded fairly nice prizes. Majora's Mask took this concept, and expanded it. The stray fairy sidequests in Majora's Mask were brilliantly done, and are a really nice addition to the dungeons. It adds to the overall experience of the game. The prizes are also generally much better.

Town games-Town Games

Like. Ocarina of Time's games were fun, especially the Shooting Gallery. However, I didn't exactly find any of them to be particularly challenging. Bombchu Bowling is really easy once you get the hang of it, and the Shooting Gallery gets really easy once you discover the unchanging pattern. The Treasure Chest Shop is completely unfair to begin with, but it becomes pathetically easy once the Lens of Truth is obtained. I suppose with the exception of the Treasure Chest Shop, all of the minigames in Clock Town provide a significant challenge. The Deku Playground and the Honey and Darling Shop have different challenges depending on which day it is, and each one is quite difficult. And then there's the infamous Shooting Gallery, arguably the hardest minigame in the entire series. The games in Majora's Mask are amazing! They are hard, but not so hard that one wouldn't want to play the game because of them.

So, given everything that I have typed here, I think it is fair to say that Majora's Mask very much improved many of the concepts introduced in Ocarina of Time. They may be borrowed processes, but the majority of them are better than in Ocarina of Time.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time executed all of the things Majora's Mask "borrowed" from it terribly. Majora's Mask is the better game; to prefer anything from OoT that is also present in MM is, in my opinion, a completely nostalgia-blinded preference. Not only does MM ooze culture from its variety of locations, but any stealth, action, and adventure concepts were done in such a way that made OoT seem like a varicose ulcer on MM's greatness.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Oot is better than MM at most of these things. AND IT AINT **** NOSTALGIA BLINDNESS!!! OoT has an originality, master of atmosphere, and general structure that eek out a slight superiority over MM. MM excels at what it does uniquely, but the reuse of material and overwhelming, crappy Well Section fetch quest, limited Skulltula use in the face of OoT's excellent quest, and less memorable Lost Woods make it inferior to OoT. Not by much, but inferior nonetheless.

Salem

SICK
we getting fanboyish up in here?

the only thing ocarina had over mm was game length,majoras mask exceeded everything else
Are we getting haterish down here?

OoT didn't have that annoying 3-day limit, and it had a REAL final dungeon.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Are we getting haterish down here?

OoT didn't have that annoying 3-day limit, and it had a REAL final dungeon.

4-day glitch

and i don't give a :bunnylink::businessscrub::buttmonkey::rope: about final dungeons,if i want to fight the last boss,i would gladly go straight ahead to him rather than just delay it for some annoying puzzle rooms
although i do have to say i liked all the ganon's boss fights better than majora

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom