• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Boring games

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Breath of The Wild- Yes I did finish it. I bought a console for it afterall and I kept telling myself it would get better but it just didn't provide the kind of excitement I was looking for. It wasn't totally boring to be fair but a lot of the time I was doing things that felt pointless and those memories you can collect were actually THE most boring cutscenes in all of gaming. You could **** out a better cutscene.

RAGE- didn't finish. It just bored me to the point that I stopped after a couple of tries.

Fallout 4 - After the highs of 3 I was underwhelmed by it and also the main story seemed so insignificant that I stopped before completion.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Fallout
Started playing the original a little while back as part of my cRPG backlog and got bored enough to give up after a few hours.

It was a combination of the gameplay and the setting. The game is simply too slow. Everything feels like it's dragging itself through molasses. Moving is slow, combat is slow, navigating menus is slow. I also didn't like having to rely on a very small text box in the corner for all the descriptions and information. It wasn't long before doing anything felt like a massive chore and my enthusiasm dropped off a cliff. Events seemed to be happening almost at random, too, as though I could never expect an outcome based on reasonable expectations (for two examples, indulge my ego by reading this). This is 100% a case of me not being patient enough with an older game and longing for the conveniences of more modern games.

On top of that is the setting. I generally don't like post-apocalyptic fiction. Ruins, grey/brown colour palettes, the hardships of survival, blah, blah, blah. It just doesn't interest me, and a game/film/book has to do something else on top of that to catch my interest. I thought Fallout's retro-future 50s vibe would do it, along with all the talk and videos I've seen about how involved and deep its narrative is. And maybe the story does develop into something that would have held my interest, but I got too bored too fast to hold on until then. The 50s aesthetic, in practice, doesn't do much for me because it's drowned out by the post-apocalypse stuff. I know it seems silly to say I didn't like the genre when I knew it was a genre I don't like, but I thought Fallout would be able to compensate for that and, unfortunately, for me it didn't.

I have always been the kind of player who values gameplay over everything else. Watching reviews, retrospectives, and analysis of Fallout's story is a genuine pleasure because there's so much in it that speaks to the things I want from a cRPG. But the gameplay is just too slow, just too cumbersome, just too unintuitive for me to want to sink my teeth in. Like a great novel that gives you a paper cut every time you turn the page, the experience of getting through that story is bothersome enough to make me not want to hear it.

Breath of the Wild
The world is gorgeous, it's a great example of a systemic game, it's packed with content. Only, that content is made up of Korok seeds, hundreds of them, just lying around the place. That content is shrines, hundreds of them, littered about, some with a single enemy inside, others with a single puzzle, some with two puzzles. That content is weapons, dozens of them, that all break after one or two fights and have to constantly be replaced with whatever's nearby.

Nothing in BotW felt like it had any weight or value. Shrines were not satisfying to complete because they were so insubstantial. Korok seeds were not satisfying to find because they ranged from insultingly easy to unneccessarily inconvenient. It felt like I was grinding for stamina upgrades and inventory slots, and that's the entire game. After a while I completely stopped fighting enemies whenever possible because the weapon degeneration system disincentivised combat — I either fight and lose my good weapons to standard enemies and have to rely on crap, weak, uninteresting weapons for large chunks of time, or I ignore combat whenever possible to preserve good weapons for worthy enemies and thus do nothing but wander around for large chunks of time doing nothing else.

I cannot stress how much weapon degeneration in BotW ruined the entire game for me. It meant I wasn't playing the game. There was a system built into the game which told me I was better off ignoring a huge chunk of what makes it fun. I know not everyone has this response to it and says things like "It encourages you to use different weapons and tactics," but that rings hollow to me when you consider that every bow works the same way, and every melee weapon boils down to 'wait for the enemy to attack, dodge, then mash A', meaning whether you have a sword, an axe, a spear, or a hammer, you're doing the same thing every time. In practice the game was telling me that I could either play the game with bad weapons for the majority of playtime, or ignore it and just walk around. Both of these options were terrible and reduced the game to looking for Shrines and Korok seeds, which wore pathetically thin within a few hours.

In the end, there was absolutely nothing for me to do in BotW. I didn't see the point of completing Shrines, or collecting Korok seeds, or fighting enemies. This is when a game's narrative components can, potentially, keep me hanging on long enough to stick with it, but BotW utterly fails in this regard. The world is beautiful to look at but it's so devoid of history and personality that it's just fields and hills, not Hyrule. Another post-apocalypse, meaning everything that made Hyrule interesting is gone. And nothing's replaced it. NPCs are all forgettable (well, the ones I met before I gave up on the game and sold my Switch) with nothing interesting to say. This whole world feels flat and dead to me, and it was uncomfortable being in it because of that. If the uncanny valley effect can apply to a location, BotW manages it. It's expansive, it's beautiful, I should want to spend days of my life in this place, but it's so boring to be anywhere in it that I couldn't stop thinking about leaving. So I did, and I will never go back.

I was in the process of writing this when Deus posted and was amused to see he also said BotW and a Fallout game. GG my friend.

Dan

Fallout
Started playing the original a little while back as part of my cRPG backlog and got bored enough to give up after a few hours.

It was a combination of the gameplay and the setting. The game is simply too slow. Everything feels like it's dragging itself through molasses. Moving is slow, combat is slow, navigating menus is slow. I also didn't like having to rely on a very small text box in the corner for all the descriptions and information. It wasn't long before doing anything felt like a massive chore and my enthusiasm dropped off a cliff. Events seemed to be happening almost at random, too, as though I could never expect an outcome based on reasonable expectations (for two examples, indulge my ego by reading this). This is 100% a case of me not being patient enough with an older game and longing for the conveniences of more modern games.

On top of that is the setting. I generally don't like post-apocalyptic fiction. Ruins, grey/brown colour palettes, the hardships of survival, blah, blah, blah. It just doesn't interest me, and a game/film/book has to do something else on top of that to catch my interest. I thought Fallout's retro-future 50s vibe would do it, along with all the talk and videos I've seen about how involved and deep its narrative is. And maybe the story does develop into something that would have held my interest, but I got too bored too fast to hold on until then. The 50s aesthetic, in practice, doesn't do much for me because it's drowned out by the post-apocalypse stuff. I know it seems silly to say I didn't like the genre when I knew it was a genre I don't like, but I thought Fallout would be able to compensate for that and, unfortunately, for me it didn't.

I have always been the kind of player who values gameplay over everything else. Watching reviews, retrospectives, and analysis of Fallout's story is a genuine pleasure because there's so much in it that speaks to the things I want from a cRPG. But the gameplay is just too slow, just too cumbersome, just too unintuitive for me to want to sink my teeth in. Like a great novel that gives you a paper cut every time you turn the page, the experience of getting through that story is bothersome enough to make me not want to hear it.

I love the first two Fallout games but I agree they are very flawed, but after you get over a few hurdles they can be very engaging. You need to do an hours research just to find out what patches you need to install, and what skill tree you need to invest in so you don't mess up the entire game.

Both original Fallout's start off incredibly dull, I can't imagine, even at the time of their release that anyone would find the start of both games fun. In Fallout 1 you start off in a ****ty cave, I HATE caves in any video game, boring setting, but Fallout takes the cake. For the first ten minutes(or 30 if you're trying to understand how the general game play works) you're fighting off normal rats. I believe it's best to fight them rather than running away otherwise you have to watch the rats take their turn. You get out of the cave and the first location you'll most likely end up at is Shady Sands, which is the dullest looking town in the game devoid of any personality.

latest

shadysands-garden.png

After you escape the cave of many engaging battles with rats you are rewarded with this rather stunning post-apocalypse star-wars-eqse village.

I think from there you're sent off to another vault which has a bear or scorpion guarding it and you'll most likely die a few times before even reaching the vault and forgetting to save so you'll end up right at the start.

Essentially both of the original games ask a lot of the player before the game ends up having any entertainment value (Like dating a Christian girl). It's well written and quite fun once you get over a chuck of the start. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to exert the effort though.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Oh my gosh this game is dull as hell.
Boring characters, boring story, boring world and boring combat and puzzles.

So, so boring...

How is a game with robot crocodiles so boring? HOW?

funnier6

Courage~
My Sims Kingdom is the most boring gsme I've ever played. Judt try it sometime. I dare you.
I liked My Sims Kingdom. o-o

When it comes to “boring” it ends up synonymous with “didn’t like” so I guess games that were so dreadfully boring that you didn’t like them. I’m thinking really hard but I always end up not liking a game because it wasn’t fun, not because of boredom. Though I guess I can say Pikmin 3 was pretty boring but I still liked it.

Ninja

Well well well
Final Fantasy 13-2 was extremely boring, from start to finish. I'm one of the rare few that enjoyed XIII, but couldn't muster up the will to do anything past the main story, what a let down.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
...ok ima be the odd one out and list another stupid nickelodeon game
avatar the last airbender video game was surprisingly (yes, surprisingly) a boring game considering its a game based on a cartoon w/ many amazing action sequences, in fact when I had moved, I "accidentally" left only this one game behind, and I frankly didn't care that I lost it
even as a kid I remember coming to the conclusion at a point in the game that "this game isn't really bad...its just boring"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom