• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Borderlands 2 Over Halo 4?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Am I the only one really excited for Borderlands 2 but i'm not to thrilled for the release of Halo 4?

I believe your preference for a specific title varies from what you want to see in a shooter. Borderlands includes more customization elements than Halo however I find its offerings sub par in comparison to behemoths like Half-Life, Gears of War, or Halo. It's certainly a breath of fresh air for the genre but as an FPS itself isn't so great.

Halo, on the other hand, has revolutionized the way we perceive the genre on home consoles ever since its inception over 10 years ago. I'd like to point that I am extremely biased in the matter, however, seeing as how my current avatar is 343 Guilty Spark or the Monitor as he appears in the original trilogy. The original Halo boasted a grand campaign and some fun with buddies to be had through system link, Halo 2 took the fight to the online arena setting the precedent for what XBOX Live is today, and Halo 3 incorporated a forge mode for custom stages as well as theater in order to play back battles and observe the strategies of others.

Many will tell you that Halo 4 is an unnecessary installment and Master Chief's saga should have come to a close but I have to disagree. Not only is multiplayer taking another step in the right direction, the story mode finally sheds light on the mysterious Forerunners. To top it off the game looks gorgeous, better than anything I've seen on 360 up to this point.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
hey is half life any good

Sir, Half-Life is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played. It's really fun, and you can pick it up for cheap on Steam. However, this is diverging from the original topic.

I'm honestly more excited for Borderlands 2. The only game's story I paid attention to in the Halo series was the first title since that's what I really owned, and the other titles, I just multiplayered. The funny thing was that I singleplayered Borderlands. :P

I'm looking forward to both =] I wasnt too happy with halo 3 but 4 looks like its worth a shot. Borderlands is an awesome game, especially the multiplayer mode <3 havent really looked at any thing about the 2nd one though. (ohter than the pre order rewards)

As said half life is a great game and for a kinda old game with excelent gameplay and story, still looks nice also! not that the graphics are important.

I for one am most definitely more excited for Borderlands 2 than Halo 4. Although it isn't really fair to compare the two as they are actually quite different in practice. Borderlands mixes RPG elements and a random & addicting loot element together very well for a unique hybrid experience that most other games don't offer. Then there is the art style, sense of humor and rather silly overall tone to consider that sets it further apart.

Not to say Halo 4 won't be great in it's own way, but if I could only have one it'd definitely be BL2 personally. I had so much fun and spent so much time in the first one. Halo never really grabbed me like it has a lot of other people.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm more excited for Halo 4 because Halo and I go way back. It's been 5 years since we were last able to control the Chief, and this November, he returns. Halo games have always been solid experiences, so there's no doubt this won't be either. But this also isn't like any other Halo game, Halo 4 completely changes the rules and aims to be new while still being worthy of the Halo name. The covenant are no longer the main threat, Master Chief will be fleshed out even more as a character, the gameplay has received plenty of tweaks, and the visuals have never looked this good on the Xbox 360. 343 Industries has big shoes to fill, and by the looks of it, they look like they could use a bigger pair.

Borderlands on the other hand is a much more different experience. It's not as solid as Halo when it comes to the FPS genre, but it's also not supposed to be an FPS, seeing as it also borrows many elements from the RPG genre. The art style has always been amazing, but the new color scheme as seen in Borderlands 2 makes the game look ten times better. Now I won't deny that Borderlands was an amazing experience for me, but it just hasn't earned the status that Halo has.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I'm definitely more excited for Borderlands 2. I like Halo and all, but after I beat the campaigns 2-3 times, and play the other modes for a month or so I get pretty bored of them. I used to play Halo 3 custom games all day with 10-15 friends, but one of them died and since then we haven't had much fun with Halo. To get back on topic, I also can't stand the majority of the Xbox LIVE community so I dislike playing with other people. I'm more of a co op with friends guy, and Borderlands delivers that.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm more excited for Borderlands 2, and the simpleton reasoning I have for this is that I've been anticipating a second installment in the series for quite some time. I've played the DLC of the original Borderlands release via the share feature or whatever it is called, and...I've just been waiting for so long. Now, Halo 4 definitely looks amazing, but I REALLY HONESTLY couldn't careless for the series. If I wanted to play an FPS, I'd pick up (cue the hate) Call of Duty or Battlefield. If I need a Sci-Fi esque game for my fix, I'd get a thriller like Dead Space. etc etc etc. Halo disinterests me, and, personally speaking, the only good title was the original Halo: Combat Evolved. Everything else has been subpar and really pales in comparison to other FPS I've played since their respective releases.

There are other tiny things that boost Borderlands 2 in my desire cup over that of Halo 4, such as an engrossing offline split screen offering and of course the RPG-esque features, but the core reason is that I've been waiting so long.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm not really excited for Borderlands 2. I loved the first and was excited for a new release for a while, however since it is no longer fresh in my mind, the idea of Borderlands 2 does not get me going.

Halo 4 on the other hand I am very excited about. The Halo series is one of my favourite franchises, second only to Zelda in my eyes. Another instalment was something I was looking forward to when I first heard the rumours. After this years E3 Halo 4 was the only thing that truly excited me in the end. Not only did it look fantastic but it also offered something different to previous halo games. There is a new main threat and this game will expand on the old Halo universe and I can't wait to see how that is going to be done.
I hate bog standard shooters with crappy storylines, dull locations and gameplay that has clearly had no thought put in. Halo is very different from most shooters, offering a wide variety of weapons vehicles and equipment as well as providing some of the most creative looking settings for combat. The stories are generally top notch and are intriguing, making the player want to play until the very end.

I feel like Halo 4 is, I don't know, a bit unnecessary. I think I prefer the Forerunner as a ancient, mythical civilization, of which we can only see the mysterious remains of. The mystery suits the race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom