• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Books That Changed Your View of the World

Ganondork

goo
Everyone experiences books differently, and view them differently from others. As such, we all have those books that we read that made us see the world differently. We may have read them when we were young, when we were in school, or even into adulthood. Sometimes they're something as simple as Dr. Seuss, or as complex as Paulo Coehlo. Whether it's a philosophical piece, a work of satire, or a mind-blowing non-fiction book, what book changed your world view?

pkfroce

Skelepuns
The Fault in Our Stars

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”

I can't even explain why this has changed my views of the world and my life. It just left me with a feeling of... Idk... I know what it means, but I can't put it into words... You should read this book. It's pretty good. It's made me more aware.

Okay so I thought about it more, and I guess what I got from that quote was that my own life is just one infinity compared to all the other lives of people. Though my "infinity" may not be as long as others peoples', I want to enjoy it to its fullest potential even when there are things holding me back. Don't let anything stop you from living your life to its fullest.

Last edited:
The Monday Horses-I thought this was gonna be a typical horse stable book a la Saddleclub, girls make friends, ride/own great horses, win competitions have zany adventures yada yada yada. It was actually pretty realistic and opened my eyes to the then unknown abuses of the show horse world.

... what book changed your world view?

Looking Forward by Jacque Fresco and Kenneth S. Keyes, Jr.

I really wish that I had read it sooner, it's bittersweet in that it that it gives some insight on how society could function with current advancements in science (well when it was published in 1969) a century or less from now, but as well as how fu*k up our society is as of now. I want to think given the technological advancements as of now that it's already achievable.

This is the first two paragraphs (the link to the book is in my sig if you want to read the whole thing)

The lives of most men and women are blighted by problems they cannot solve. And people usually blame
themselves, or they blame "fate" whatever that is. However, when two cars collide at an intersection,
should we, as students of society, concentrate our attention on the individual blame of the drivers, on
"fate" or on the way transportation is engineered so that it permits collisions?

If you believe that cars and roads should be designed so that it is almost impossible for people to lose
their lives through collisions, this book is for you. If you believe that the mind is capable of gradually
applying the method of patient, scientific investigation to find out how to rearrange the structure of our
society to give each individual a greater opportunity for self-realization and happiness while he is on earth,
we welcome and need your help.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I could write a book about the books that have had a major impact on my worldview. A multitude of books on philosophy, ethics, politics, economics, science, technology, society, and so on have had a great impact on my life as a humanist, a libertarian, an objective ethicist, a communist, an atheist, a transhumanist, a cosmicist, a technological utopianist, a scientist, an optimist, etc. But three of them stand out above them all:

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

The Manifesto of the Communist Party, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. This more than any other book has totally changed my life. Reading the Communist Manifesto helped tear a veil of ignorance away from me - the nationalist and bourgeois brainwashing that had so successfully taken over my mind was cleansed, and for the first time I understood the heart of politics, economics, and society. In the years since my first reading of the Manifesto, I have changed my views quite substantially, and what I am today would have been mostly unrecognizable to that person those years ago. But no matter how much I have distanced myself from traditional Marxism in the intervening years, I recognize what an extremely important role it has played in making me a better, more informed, more passionate human being.

Proletarians of the world, look into the depths of your own beings, seek out the truth and realize it yourselves: you will find it nowhere else.

An Anarchist FAQ, by various libertarian communists. This document represents a continuation and the growth of my endeavors that started with the Communist Manifesto. It represents a kind of graduation or a growing up of my ideas as a humanist, a libertarian, and a communist.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, by Carl Sagan. The message in this book is too important to treat briefly, so I'm not going to. All I will say is that it represents profoundly what it is to be human, what we can achieve as a people, and how we should consider ourselves in the context of the universe.

Garo

Boy Wonder
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by the incomparable Joseph Campbell. It's a set of essays about heroic myths and their constancy throughout ancient cultures. Many people have read this book and seen an outline for how every story should be structure and told; I read this book and saw an argument for why stories work. An outline for how stories interact with our minds and how we derive meaning from them. This is a book that has affected every single thing I have written since I have read it - which is a lot of things - and has affected how I interact with stories on a fundamental level. I have never looked at a story the same way after this book, so powerful and profound I found it. It has made me a far better writer than I could have conceived of being before I read this book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom