• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Books slog

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
You start a book...its a slog...do you give up permanently or temporarily or do you continue in the hopes it will improve?? Or does it vary??

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I exclusively read fantasy, so most of the books are great! But if I ever come across one that isn't, I'd still never give up on finishing it. That'd feel as if I'd let the book win.
But the book doesn't win. I do!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I read all the time, mostly fantasy and science fiction, and usually when a book feels like a slog is when I feel the author doesn't have the best prose, and prose is literally their use of words to tell a story.

Some authors are just gifted with the ability of storytelling, and those are the authors I tend to read a lot.

Lately, I've been getting through Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives, which is an excellent epic/high fantasy series. (Yes, epic/high fantasy is the same thing), and I've been reading John Gwynne's new trilogy The Bloodsworn Saga, and I'm on the second book of that series. Also great fantasy.

Often if a book doesn't interest me, I'll set it aside, because I have a lot of books to read and I want to get through the interesting ones first-- I always at least tell myself I'll get around to the ones I set down later, when my reading list is shorter, but I'm kinda inconsistent in doing so sometimes (I have a few books I started probably like a year or more ago that I'm still telling myself I'll get around to finishing), and it doesn't help that my reading list never seems to get any shorter. I won't usually even tell myself I'll continue a series if I didn't like the first book though. I do feel a commitment to try and finish books I start, but that commitment doesn't extend to serieses.

I always try to finish any books I start. Granted, I read mainly political, economic, or philosophical books nowadays, so I would say I'm more in it for the knowledge or analysis than reading purely for fun. Though I do still read some fiction from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom