• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Books of Your Childhood

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
What books were your favorite as a kid? Like what ones really changed you. Made you think. What books did you just read non-stop?
For me it was mostly the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins. Some of the most overlooked books i know. Honestly way better than hunger games. I'm actually quite surprised i read them at such a young age, as they can be quite graphic at times. They are still to this day the best book series ever to me. They just widened my imagination so much and changed the way i looked at everything. They taught me about friendship and power and evil and selfishness. Next to Ocarina of Time, i'd say it's one of the things that made me who i am today.

Salem

SICK
I remember a book about the 1001 nights, also a kids novel thing with I think is an environmental message but I don't remember anything about it, it had lots of pictures.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I cannot remember most of the books I read in my childhood. I do remember though some of them. I remember reading the Wishbone books, the Boxcar Children books, and several junior reader Star Wars books like the Jedi Apprentice series. I also read all the Little House on the Prairie books because the school I went to (very near one of the towns Laura lived in) wanted us to. I didn't actually read the Harry Potter books until the first movie was almost out, then I read all of them that were out at the time and then made sure to keep up with the new ones.

Sheik

:the:
ss-297_1z.jpg

Well that was my favorite book as a four/five year old.

If I had to choose something after that, maybe the Harry Potter series? I read all the books when I was in like second grade or something, and absolutely loved them, of course.

Other books I remember: The Chronicles of Narnia, A Wrinkle in Time, basically any Shel Silverstein book... Captain Underpants...

Last edited:

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
My favorite childhood books are definitely the Junie B. Jones books and Romona and Beezus.
Also, going into my pre teen years, I loved any story by Sarah Dessen.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Maybe obvious, but it was Harry Potter all the way. Discovered the series when there were 4 books and read each one of those in about 2-3 days. I was very addicted. Loved LOTR when I got a little older as well, but they are a little harder to read. Artemis Fowl was pretty good too. Weird that they haven't made a movie about that book yet. Guess I really loved fantasy back in the days.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The Famous Five series and The Adventure series by Enid Blyton. I loved and adored those books. Also read a lot of Babysitter's club books. Just discovered recently that they are in the process of releasing all of them on Kindle and since they published less than half of the books in Norway, I actually started buying the ones I've never read. I know they are meant for pre-teens, but it's fun to be reminded of the nicer aspects of my childhood. I was a teenager before I was introduced to Harry Potter, so not sure if it counts as childhood.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
One_Fish_Two_Fish_Red_Fish_Blue_Fish_(cover_art).jpg

I read this book, and a lot of other Dr. Seuss books nonstop. I actually had this one memorized, so I would just look at the pictures while I would recite it.

When it came to chapter books, I got really into The Magic Treehouse series at a young age.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I loved to read as a child. This means there are many authors I liked. Reading was the first form of escapism that I ever experienced and all the authors that I loved as a child helped me in ways that they will never know.

Dr. Seuss' books, Richard Scarry's Lowly Worm and A.A Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh are some of my earliest memories when it comes to reading.

Enid Blyton was my favourite author as a child and I still own many of her books that I have read such as The Wishing Chair series, The Faraway Tree series (and every other book in that collection of stories like Merry Mister Meddle, Mr. Galliano's Circus, The Three Golliwogs etc.), The Famous Five, Noddy...that list could go on ad infinitum as I have read almost every book by her that I've been able to get my hands on.

"Franklin W. Dixon", the pseudonym of a group of authors who penned The Hardy Boys which I also read to death.

R.L. Stine was another favourite of mine and I read his Goosebumps and Fear Street series almost religiously. In fact, I think it was Stine who sparked my interest in the horror genre.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books were also a huge part of my childhood along with The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole series by Sue Townsend and The Dark Is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I remember a book titled, "Just a minute!" It's to teach kids about time, and I read it a lot. It's very short, but was filled with stuff I liked, lime oatmeal cookies.

In middle school, I remember this series, I forgot everything about it, almost. However, I can describe it as fantasy, with memorable characters, Tolken-like, and a main character named Taran? Maybe Taven, or something.

In high school, my reading skills got a lot better. I started with Walter Dean Myers, a brilliant novelist. His two books "Fallen Angels" and "Sunrise Over Fallujah" are among my favorite. Then I went on to Shakespere, Merchant of Venice was my first, pretty good one. Macbeth was my favorite from him. Also poetry, with my favorites to include Robert Frost, Edgar Allen Poe, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I even read boxer Joe Frazier's auto-bio, along with Barack Obama's memoir. Bios are really cool, I checked out some about Einstein and Stalin, but never gotten completely through.

But what's my favorite book from my childhood? The Dragonball manga.

I devoured books as a kid. Animorphs, Boxcar Children, and Babysitter's Club were all big ones. And the Laura Ingells Wilder books. And some several series about horses because I was that "Horse Girl" growing up.

One of the things that sticks out is when I was in 5th grade, we had to do specific reading time for however long. I remember I was reading one of my mom's Anne McCaffry books one day, then rereading it the next day so I didn't look like I was reading adult books too fast. Which I totally was.

The other thing that sticks out is when I got in trouble in 2nd grade for reading under the desk during math because math is boring and books are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom