• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Book Recommendations Needed ^^'

Pen

The game is on!
Hi friends! I'm on the lookout for a new book to read. But it's been a while since I last read a normal novel so I figured I'd ask for advice here.

I'd like to read something that's been well received and that's well written with English as the book's original language. If anyone knows of a good book with a war setting of some kind that's a bonus, though really I would just like to read any good book.

Thanks in advance! ^^

Pen

The game is on!
Hes got a whole Sharpe series ... my brother likes him, wars not really my thing

Ah I've heard of that series. Thanks! I'll read about it a bit and see if it seems interesting to me. Though, I think I would prefer a one-book story.

All Quiet on the Western Front is a good book about war!

Thanks for reminding me of that one. I recall reading the Swedish translation of it many years ago. I'll be sure to look into it too. ^^

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Thanks for reminding me of that one. I recall reading the Swedish translation of it many years ago. I'll be sure to look into it too. ^^

No problem! It's about one of the only war books I've read since I had to read it in school, but I ended up loving it.

• Love
Reactions: Pen

Pen

The game is on!
Oh no @Morbid Minish I don't know why it didn't occur to me, but All Quiet on the Western Front is of course in German originally! D:

I really appreciate your help but I think I'll keep looking for one with English as its original language since that's something I'd like to see. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be in a war setting though.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Oh no @Morbid Minish I don't know why it didn't occur to me, but All Quiet on the Western Front is of course in German originally! D:

I really appreciate your help but I think I'll keep looking for one with English as its original language since that's something I'd like to see. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be in a war setting though.

Ah, yeah that makes sense. Didn't even think about that!

There's a story called The Long Walk by Stephen King (published under his pseudonym Richard Bachmann) that you may like. It's not a war setting but it is a sort of psychological dystopian future story with a bit of militant feel.

Kirino

Tatakae
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is critically-acclaimed and my favorite that I've read on the subject. It's a collection of linked short stories written by a Vietnam War veteran that are based on his own experiences fighting in the war, and it explores a lot of important themes about the reality of war and its effects on soldiers both during and after. I'd definitely recommend it based on your criteria.

Pen

The game is on!
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is critically-acclaimed and my favorite that I've read on the subject. It's a collection of linked short stories written by a Vietnam War veteran that are based on his own experiences fighting in the war, and it explores a lot of important themes about the reality of war and its effects on soldiers both during and after. I'd definitely recommend it based on your criteria.

Thank you so much! I'll absolutely look into this one too then :D

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've never read the novel, but I've seen the film; check out Dune by Frank Herbert and see if it interests you. It's science fiction but it has like an intergalactic war type theme where different planets are waging war against each other over control of one planet that produces a highly addictive drug. It's not entirely about war, but it has that undertone.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I would recommend the red wall series.
It's a world in which mice, squirrels, otters, moles, and shrews are good guys who live in an Abbey. The vermins such as rats, weasels, ferrets and stoats are bad guys who are pirates and plunderers. In each book these vermin pose a threat in one way or other.
The story revolves mostly in Warfare and Guerrilla.
Though it seems childish, I read it till now. And therefore I recommend it.

Secondly I would like to recommend Alex Rider series which involves MI6 making a teen do their jobs for them,mostly spying.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I personally quite like the Fleet of Worlds series by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner, but a fair few of the references make a lot more sense if you've read any of the other books in the Known Space setting.

The books aren't about war explicitly, but there's a fair bit of political maneuvering (and the second or third book in the series involves the characters trying to route a fleet of Slower-Than-Light warships that threaten their worlds), so it might fit your bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom