• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Book and Movie Quotes.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
[describing how the Tardis works] "First you have to imagine a very big box fitting inside a very small box."
"Okay"
"Then, you have to make one. It's the second part people normally get stuck on" - Nardole and Bill

"Why are you Scottish?"
"I'm not Scottish, I'm just cross."
"Is there a Scotland in space?"
"They're all over the place, demanding independence from every planet they land on." - Bill and The Doctor from Doctor Who

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
From Back to the Future III:

Doc: [consulting a map of the train line] This spur runs off the main line three miles down to Clayton Ravine. There's a long stretch of track that will still exist in 1985. This is where we'll push the DeLorean with the locomotive. Funny, this map calls Clayton Ravine "Shonash Ravine"... that must be an old Indian name for it. It's perfect, a nice long run that goes clear across the bridge over the ravine, you know, over near that Hilldale housing development.

Marty: Right, Doc, but according to this map, there is no bridge.

[cut to Marty and Doc standing at the end of the track overlooking the ravine]

Doc: Well, Doc, we can scratch that idea. I mean, we can't wait around a year and a half for this thing to get finished.

Doc: Marty, it's perfect, you're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally!

Marty: Right, right. I have a real problem with that.

Doc: Don't you see? The bridge *will* exist in 1985. It's safe and still in use. Therefore, as long as we get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour before we hit the edge of the ravine, we'll instantaneously arrive at a point in time where the bridge is completed. We'll have track under us and coast safely across the ravine!

Marty: What about the locomotive?

Doc: It'll be a spectacular wreck. Too bad no one will be around to see it.

Among other people who know Back to the Future, I often use the phrase "Marty, you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally" when people are focusing on a logic problem that can be solved by switching to a different paradigm or perspective. It's an attempt to evoke this scene as a reminder of how things that can seem to be a problem, aren't actually a problem within different contexts or perspectives that can easily be applied to the situation.

Last edited:
Don Draper: Well, technology is a glittering lure. But there's the rare occasion when the public can be engaged on a level beyond flash, if they have a sentimental bond with the product. My first job, I was in-house at a fur company, with this old pro copywriter. Greek, named Teddy. And Teddy told me the most important idea in advertising is "new". Creates an itch. You simply put your product in there as a kind of... calamine lotion. But he also talked about a deeper bond with the product: nostalgia. It's delicate... but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means, "the pain from an old wound". It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship. It's a time machine. It goes backwards, forwards. It takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the Wheel. It's called a Carousel. It lets us travel the way a child travels. Around and around, and back home again... to a place where we know we are loved.

athenian200

Circumspect
From George Orwell's 1984:

"He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic. Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one. At one time it had been a sign of madness to believe that the earth goes round the sun; today, to believe that the past is unalterable. He might be alone in holding that belief, and if alone, then a lunatic. But the thought of being a lunatic did not greatly trouble him; the horror was that he might also be wrong. ...For after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable--what then?"

Louis: That morning I was not yet a vampire, and I saw my last sunrise. I remember it completely, and yet I can't recall any sunrise before it. I watched the whole magnificence of the dawn for the last time as if it were the first. And then I said farewell to sunlight, and set out to become what I became.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
"You just let the machines get on with the adding up... Under law the quest for ultimate truth is clearly the inalienable prerogative of your working thinkers. Any bloody machine goes and actually finds it and we're straight out of a job, aren't we?" -Majikthies

"Yes," Declaimed Deep Thought. "I said I'd have to think about it, didn't I? And it occurs to me that running a program like this is bound to create an enormous amount of popular publicity... Everyone's going to have their own theories about what answer I'm eventually going to come up with, and who better to capitalize on the media market than yourselves? So long as you keep disagreeing with each other and violently maligning each other in the popular press, and so long as you have clever agents, you can keep yourselves on the gravy train for life. How does that sound?"

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Fielding Pierce: I never saw Sarah again. I think I've managed to help some people in Congress - do some good. Less than I'd have liked, but more than I feared. To this day I still don't know if Sarah was real that night or just a product of my broken heart. But Sarah, if you are alive, and it was you that night, here for one last moment of sweetness before going back out to try and make things better in the world... I can only say, keep fighting. God be with you. I love you. And if it wasn't really you - if your visit was only the you that still lives in my heart, the you that never gave up, that taught me what being brave was all about - if it was only the you that I will carry with me, in my soul, until the day I die... I can only say, keep fighting. And God be with you. I love you.

Phil: You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

George Emerson: He's the sort who can't know anyone intimately, least of all a woman. He doesn't know what a woman is. He wants you for a possession, something to look at, like a painting or an ivory box. Something to own and to display. He doesn't want you to be real, and to think and to live. He doesn't love you. But I love you. I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas and feelings, even when I hold you in my arms.

athenian200

Circumspect
“I have seen something like it happen in battle. A man was coming at me, I at him, to kill. Then came a sudden great gust of wind that wrapped out cloaks over our swords and almost over our eyes, so that we could do nothing to one another but must fight the wind itself. And that ridiculous contention, so foreign to the business we were on, set us both laughing, face to face - friends for a moment - and then at once enemies again and forever.” -- C.S. Lewis, Till we have faces

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
"I'm one with the Force, and the Force is with me." - Chirrut Imwe

"[bag gets put over his head] Are you *kidding* me? I'm blind!" - Chirrut Imwe

"[after Jyn shoots an identical droid] Did you know that wasn't me?" - K-2SO

"There were a lot of explosions for two people blending in." - K-2SO

"I'm surprised you're so concerned with my safety."
"I'm not. I'm just worried they might miss you... and hit me."
"[quietly, so Jyn can't hear] Doesn't sound so bad to me." - K-2SO and Jyn Erso from Rogue One

Law and Order SVU: Slaves

Det. John Munch: [to Dr. Jackson] Look, I'm not good talking about me. You're the expert, why don't you talk about me?

Dr. Audrey Jackson: OK. You've been married multiple times. Each wife was spoiled, beautiful, but not one matched you intellectually. You distrust all women, any form of government and you could smell a conspiracy at a five-year-old's lemonade stand.

Det. John Munch: Anything else?

Dr. Audrey Jackson: You've given up on relationships, but you still believe in true love and the pain of never having found it is unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom