• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Blizzard removing controversial pose.

How do you feel about this? Not doing a poll because I'd rather hear words.

Personally I'm extremely sick of the whiny people who think one character showing off their butt is a complete miss representation of their gender, or make them feel like they are now a sexual object.

I don't care if people want a bit more representation, but this game already had a bunch of different characters all presented in different ways. All of a sudden one character has a extremely minor sexual pose and it gets scrapped to not offend all the little fragile flowers out there? Uggg.

And since it's directly related, how do you feel about the galbrush paradox?

But maybe you're just naive and dont understand the problem. Do you know why there's so many white male characters in video games? Especially leads? Because no one cares about them. A white male can be a lecherous dunk. A woman can't or it's sexist. Sexualizing women and what all. A white male can be a mentally disturbed soldier who's mind is unraveling as he walks through the hell of the modern battlefield. A woman can't or you're victimizing women and saying they're all crazy.

Consider Guybrush Threepwood, start of the Monkey Island series. He's weak, socially awkward, cowardly, kind of a nerd and generally the last person you'd think of to even cabin boy on a pirate ship, let alone captain one. He is abused, verbally and physically, mistreated, shunned, hated and generally made to feel unwanted.

Now let's say Guybrush was a girl. We'll call her Galbrush. Galbrush is weak, socially awkward, cowardly, kind of a nerd and generally the last person you'd think of to even cabin boy on a pirate ship, let alone captain one. He is abused, verbally and physically, mistreated, shunned, hated and generally made to feel unwanted.

Now, you might notice that I've given the exact same description to both of these characters. But here's where things deviate. While no one cares if Guybrush takes a pounding for being for lack of a better term, less than ideal pirate, Galbrush will be presumed to be discriminated against because of her gender. In fact, every hardship she will endure though exactly the same as the hardships Guybrush endured, will be considered misogyny, rather than someone being ill suited to their desired calling.

And that ending. She goes through ALL that trouble to help, let's call him Eli Marley, escape the evil clutches of the ghost piratess Le Chuck, It turns out he didn't even need her help and she even screwed up his plan to thwart Le Chuck. Why, it'd be a slap in the face to every woman who's ever picked up a controller. Not only is the protagonist inept, but apparently women make lousy villains too!

And that's why Guybrush exists and Galbrush doesn't. Men can be comically inept halfwits. Women can't. Men can be flawed, tragic human beings. Women can't. And why? Because every single female character reflects all women everywhere. The horrible truth is you and Sarkeesian want to craft a box into which you can force every female character into. Some idiotic 'ideal'. Putting aside the stupidity of exchanging one unobtainable role model for women with another, this has the added problem of making all female characters exactly the same. And when all characters are exactly the same, that's boring and boring characters do not sell video games.

Last edited:
And since it's directly related, how do you feel about the galbrush paradox?
Whoever invented that has not played a Monkey Island game. I have, every single one of them. I am a fan of the series. Guybrush was not victimised in the game in any way. Not in any of the games he was in. He just atarted out as a naive landlubber who eventually became a pirate.

I disagree with the paradox on the basis that is full of crap based on thoughts of someone who has never played a Monkey Island game.

Just to update, this seems to be blowing up so here are some notable posts about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4cis04/blizzards_solution_to_people_who_say_that_tracer/
rufhRhh.png

Stawpoll results. http://strawpoll.me/7212830/r

A Mothers response:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742895690

I just find this whole thing pathetic. Blizzard has to realize that slut shaming is actually NOT being inclusive. I think my favorite quote from the reddit thread was "
Wait - people are up in arms about Tracer? I see more of every single woman in college.". Apparently Blizzard and the OP who got this changed hasn't seen yoga pants before.

Some females really want sexy female characters, a change like this is basically ignoring them and telling them their opinion doesn't matter. NSFW shes kinda raunchy:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Whoever invented that has not played a Monkey Island game. I have, every single one of them. I am a fan of the series. Guybrush was not victimised in the game in any way. Not in any of the games he was in. He just atarted out as a naive landlubber who eventually became a pirate.

I disagree with the paradox on the basis that is full of crap based on thoughts of someone who has never played a Monkey Island game.
Um... your response is exactly the point of the paradox. The point is that other people assume that these characters are victimized based on purely superficial details when they have no actual knowledge of the character or games. YES, the real character is not actually like that. The whole point is that if it was made a female, the SJWs would declare that "she" was victimized/sexualized/whateverized and be outraged and the company that made the game would be in a PR disaster. The fact that the outraged people are completely wrong is exactly the point.

Dan

Jumping jelly beans which demographic is actually complaining about all these sexy women? This pose isn't lewd at all, there's much worse on any street corner haha. I can't say I really understand what the fuss is about. It feels like developers are walking on eggshells when it comes to creating female characters. I imagine there's a huge list of what should be avoided when creating such.

Rules for creating the perfect female video game character:
  • No big boobs
  • No big butt
  • Cleavage should not be on display
  • No tight clothing - INCLUDING YOGA PANTS!!!
  • Personality must be mature and confident displayed of course in a cold manner
  • Appropriate clothing must always be given
  • Must have a huge complex and pretentious backstory
  • No sexual poses
  • No poses that focus on lewd body parts
  • If game is in third person make sure camera is above the butt
  • Character must never be put into a situation that shows they can be vulnerable
  • Only skin that is allowed to be shown are on the hands and head
  • Clothing must be gender neutral
  • Voice must not be considered sexual in any way
  • May only flirt once or twice in game
  • Must be shown doesn't need no man

Rules for creating the perfect male video game character:

• Rules?

"Gender balance" is always going to be around and it's nothing new to video games. Streets of Rage 3 is a good example as Sega actually changed the colours of the protagonists clothes in other countries to be gender neutral!

WARNING! This spoiler contains a pixilated woman wearing a disgusting extremely sexualised gender negative colour
5603263431_22a8c75f99_z.jpg

Here's the appropriate colour set. :)
Street+of+Rage+3_001.png

Misty

Ronin
This stuff is stupid on levels I'm not even sure I can articulate. They contradict their premises more than most politicians. Instead of creating a world and ideal where women are free to be anything, they've created a world where women are sent a thousand different signals about what they should and should not be. What happened to: don't like it, don't play it or buy it? I'm a woman, and I'm not victimized by other women being sexy. I don't feel like video games are pandering to a largely male audience any more than most women I meet are. I'm not victimized by the characters in the games I've been playing my entire life being hunky or sexy. It doesn't matter at ****ing all no matter how obvious or subtle it is.

It's a shallow ****ing appearance and it also happens to be one that a lot of women knowingly choose because no matter how many t-shirts they buy and signs they wave, they want people (NOT JUST MEN) to perceive them as attractive and tight, fitted clothing that is revealing sends that message the fastest. I'm so ****ing tired of this appearance being lauded one minute, demonized the next, and then removed because "won't somebody think of the children". It's an appearance among many appearances. The other appearance isn't chosen very often because amazingly, stunningly, mindblowingly, it isn't really any person's fantasy, male or female, to be an ugly skag with a heart of gold and diamond brain. We all think we have heart's of gold and brilliant mind's. I don't need someone to tell me I'm the hero of my story, I already believe that every ****ing day of my life. I don't need my computer game shooter heroes or MMORPGs to be complex and well drawn because I'm just going to self-insert myself in there anyway and I'll be complex and well-drawn enough for the both of us.

What I do need, is my hero not to look exactly like me, because as pretty or unique as I am, that isn't my fantasy. And I don't think a game giving me that fantasy or letting a guy pretend he's a hot babe is oppressing or undermining anyone and if it is, then it's because they're the most small-souled and pathetic little pusillanimous jerkface who probably has felt like every even mildly attractive individual is ruining their life since grade school.

I would have voted against that change and I vote even harder against PC culture, because this is the most first world, generation me bull**** ever.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Seems pretty arrogant to me that people think they can tell others what can or can't be in their own creation. I suppose if they want the game to sell, then they'd have to take some feedback from the customers. But there at least has to be some common sense or artistic integrity or something, ya know?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dropped like the hot trash it is. Nu-Blizzard is ****ing up hard. Making a MOBA-style game was already bad, but pandering to muh sensitivities is the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't give a damn about their PR reasoning, we all know why this was done. And it needs to stop. The people they're pandering to do not play the games.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
They shouldn't have stuff like this in any game, regardless of the gender.
Yeah. Who needs the first amendment to the constitution, or artistic integrity? Everything in games should just be changed to Mario, to prevent young eyes from becoming hippees.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah. Who needs the first amendment to the constitution, or artistic integrity? Everything in games should just be changed to Mario, to prevent young eyes from becoming hippees.
What are you on about man!? Mario is an obese shroomhead whos diet consists of cake and drugs. He is not at all suitable for kids.

Nah, they just shouldn't have sexual stuff in them. That won't revert it to Mario. I can name plenty of great, edgy, "adult" games that don't have this stuff in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom