• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Blackface Trudeau

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion

It recently came out that Canadian president Justin 'its not mankind it's peoplekind' Trudeau. One of the most insufferable social justice warrior world leaders has a history of blacking it up! Already three incidents have come to light and he has said that he does not know how many times he has done it. This suggests it's more than what have been found.

Personally I don't have a problem with people dressing up as another race for fancy dress. I think they should have a right to do it. I am not sure I would do so myself because I wouldn't want it to be taken the wrong way. But it can be done in a way that the humour is on the person doing it and not mocking a race. For instance if a white man dresses as Mr T for haloween. Or in the film White Chicks where two black men go undercover as white women to humourous effect.

Justin clearly enjoys blacking up a lot and I think in his case he was actually doing it to mock the races he was dressing up. Aladdin is not black in the cartoon. He is light skinned. What is worse I'd that Justin Trudeau is the sort of man who would publicly condemn others for doing this sort of thing in all instances so he can virtue signal.

What do you think this means for the future of Trudeau and how do you feel about people dressing up as a race that they don't belong to?

Giri

Boggart
ZD Champion

It recently came out that Canadian president Justin 'its not mankind it's peoplekind' Trudeau. One of the most insufferable social justice warrior world leaders has a history of blacking it up! Already three incidents have come to light and he has said that he does not know how many times he has done it. This suggests it's more than what have been found.

Personally I don't have a problem with people dressing up as another race for fancy dress. I think they should have a right to do it. I am not sure I would do so myself because I wouldn't want it to be taken the wrong way. But it can be done in a way that the humour is on the person doing it and not mocking a race. For instance if a white man dresses as Mr T for haloween. Or in the film White Chicks where two black men go undercover as white women to humourous effect.

Justin clearly enjoys blacking up a lot and I think in his case he was actually doing it to mock the races he was dressing up. Aladdin is not black in the cartoon. He is light skinned. What is worse I'd that Justin Trudeau is the sort of man who would publicly condemn others for doing this sort of thing in all instances so he can virtue signal.

What do you think this means for the future of Trudeau and how do you feel about people dressing up as a race that they don't belong to?
Aladdin is not light skinned exactly nor is he dark. he's some what darker than tan

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
But how do we know that he's mocking a race for sure?
You can never know for sure unless he admitted to it. But the evidence that he is mocking them is strong due to the massive overemphasis of the skin colour for Aladdin.

Things like this will never be an issue to me. Yes, today it's considered insensitive and, arguments about whether that's valid or not aside, if Trudeau did this today I would expect consequence for him. However, these pictures were not taken recently. We are all old enough to remember a time when doing things like this was not considered racially insensitive by most. Despite the movements in the 50's that took great strides in the right direction it's only in the last two decades that public opinion has really changed. As such, trying to bring about controversy or incite backlash against a person for things done in the past that our modern views now don't agree with is only indicative of some predetermined agenda towards such person in my opinion.

I have said things in the past that present me wouldn't view at all appropriate. Thankfully such things were away from any sort of public attention and certainly weren't catalogued. Do I regret saying them? Absolutely. Would I say them now away from my ignorance of why they may cause offense? Not a chance. Would I view it as reasonable for someone to dig up such past to try and bring about real world consequences to me now? No, I would find that rather laughable.

This is just the James Gunn controversy all over again except this time public opinion won't be as strongly in the accused favour. If someone wishes to accuse Trudeau of being a racist then I have no argument with them. I don't know the man and am not involved in politics to have an opinion on his character. This, however, is a dangerous use of the ever changing nature of social norms as an attempt to bring political consequence to a public figure.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Dressing up as a caricature of another race especially to mock them or stereotype them isn't cool.

Dressing up as another race to add a degree of realism or to celebrate a character is probably not especially offensive.

Blackface is considered offensive because it has a history in US culture of association with "Minstrel Shows" in which white people dressed up as caricatures of African Americans for the amusement of others. Blackface isn't simply a white person wearing black makeup, it's creating a caricature of a "black person" and using it to mock them.

This is the general rule of thumb, as far as I'm concerned. Idk JT's situation and I'm not sure I'm interested in researching it.

the8thark

ZD Champion
Personally I don't care that he did it. However . . . it is very hypocritical of him to push his discrimination agenda while attacking people for doing similar things to what he did back then.
One rule for him and one rule for everyone else does not go down well with the general public.

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
I'll preface this by saying I am not a Trudeau supporter. We have an election coming up next month and he will not be receiving my vote (even though I voted for him 4 years ago).

However, I don't think Justin Trudeau really had any racist intentions with his previous masquerades. I think he was just trying to demonstrate his support to the cultures he was involved with at the times. That being said, his skin is noticeably much darker than the other people's, but makeup isn't perfect. I don't think it really counts as blackface, since historically blackface was used as a total mockery of black people. I don't think what Trudeau did counts as that.

Now with that all being said, Trudeau has publically apologized for the incidents. My dislike of Trudeau comes from a political standpoint, I don't think this is really a horrible thing he's done.

Still not voting for him though.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Here's what this Blackface Trudeau thing really highlights

1.) He's a hypocrite. Trudeau would surely be quick to condemn anyone for doing precisely what he himself already has a repeated history of doing. Obviously, Trudeau is not the woke enlightened paragon of social justice that he claims to be, and people who have praised and supported him have been ignorant and wrong for taking him as such.

2.) Leftist hypocrisy. Trudeau is one of the political left's most celebrated popular demagogues, and they're giving him a HARD PASS for this. Leftists have outright ruined people for less, and they're not holding him to the same standards. What they're always falsely accusing others of, Trudeau is actually guilty of and none of his leftist cohorts seem to mind.

Simply put, this is yet another example in a long list of "Rules for Thee, but not for me" - The Double Standards of the Political Left.

A Link In Time

Break the Ice!
ZD Legend
Justin Trudeau has built his political career on being "culturally sensitive" and an "ally" so for him to be exposed as wearing blackface finally unwraps the charade. Yet he continues to receive a free pass from a lot of the media. The double standard is blatant. Hope he will no longer be the Prime Minister of Canada after the election there next month.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'd rather people vote against him for his other bull**** and hypocrisy rather than his actions in his younger days. He's done incredibly shady things as an elected official (looking at bullying an indigenous woman into voting his way even though he's a 'champion of said groups'" and other stupid bull****) rather than himself as a young adult.

I think Trudeau is another problem entirely, not just because of black face, but if this is the reason that people don't vote for him, more power to it. Tired of another corporate shill who doesn't stand for anything but his own interests getting elected rather than the interests of the people.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
The phrase, "Practice what you preach" comes to mind, maybe it doesn't apply, but punishing people for doing black face is hypocritical. If you want to go as someone black when you're white, blackface is fair. The problem only arises when someone takes issue.

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
I'm thinking two things of this. First, I've always felt he came off as a hypocrite that played to the current political winds (in Canada anyway). But on the other hand, I despise this current trend of digging up someone's past and holding it against them for all time. That's just incredibly stupid. What incentive does anyone have to learn and grow as a person if you refuse to even allow them to move on from it and actually learn from a mistake. It happened a long time ago and I seriously doubt he'd ever think that was a good idea. No one is the same person they were 20 years ago and it's crazy to do things like this. Get an appology for it and have it lesson learned. Keep an eye on him for now sure, but don't say you're now irredeemable as a human being for the rest of time because you were stupid that one time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom