• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help BIOHD-8 Error (need Help Looking for Harddrive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I have an PC waiting under my desk, HP S5310y Slimline with the following:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 @3.00GHz
4GB RAM

WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B2 Hard Drive (like 640GB iirc or some shiz)

However my PC goes to Windows but automatically blue screens. I went to Diagnostic Tools and I have the error on the hard drive saying "BIOHD-8".

1) How do I fix the BIOHD-8

2a) If it requires getting a new hard drive, what hard drive should I get?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Urrrr. Right. Do you know how to go into your BIOS? When it's booting up there should be a small bit of text in the corner saying what to press. Once there, navigate through the menus and there should be something about a 'HDD SMART' feature. Off the top of my head I don't know where exactly it'll be, but look around using arrow keys. And it should be enabled. Find it, disable it and restart, and then see what happens.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
urgh...ok NOW I'm in the BIOS screen. It says

Main Advanced Power Boot Exit
System Time [time here]
System Date [Thu 06/20/2013]
blah blah blah

>1st Drive : [WDC WD6400AAKS-65A]
>2nd Drive : [hp DVD-RAM GH]

I hit the first drive because that's the one iwth the problem.

1st Drive
Port Configuration [Enabled]
Capacity :640GB
Transfer Mode :UDMA 5
>Smart Support

I hit smart support

>SMART Status Check
>SMART Short Self-Test
>SMART Extended Self-Test

None of these things allow me to disable SMART. Q_Q

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Can you not enter into any of them to enable/disable them? SMART should be able to be disabled on all systems, it's designed to be able to.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But, if you can disable SMART I think your computer should boot up normally.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nope, can't disable it via BIOS...apparently that isn't how SMART was made but hell if I know.

So...what's the next option? Replacing the HDD. Problem is I don't know what to replace this one with! I don't care for capacity - 200GB is my absolute min but I'm not going over 500GB - but is there anything else I need to know?!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It should be able to be disabled but, I guess it's just your BIOS. Damn.

And on the HDD front, not particularly anything else to know. Just, make sure you stick with good makes. Seagate, Western Digital or Samsung, are the ones I'd recommend. I've been using Seagate for years and they've always done right by me.

Clank

Hmm
From a quick Google search, that appears to be a SMART error, normally 90%+ of the time that means your drive is done...
However on HP computers this appears that it may be a motherboard firmware issue and not a drive issue.

Though if it was just a firmware issue, then(I think) Windows shouldn't be blue-screening...
Do you have the info from the Blue-screen?(If it automatically reboots, just hit F8 after boot and then select "Disable automatic system restart on system failure", that should fix that so that you can read the Blue-Screen)
If it Blue-Screens before that, please let me know.

A standalone smart utility(such as off of a live CD, possibly parted magic(on the ubc)), might give more insight to the problem, but I feel that the blue-screen would be the most help...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I just spent two hours screwing and unscrewing parts to reach the HDD...only to find out that I can't physically get to the damn thing. PCs are superior? Bull :?ing ****. Thanks for trying to provide help at any rate, but I'm not wasting my time with this crap anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom