• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Beyond the Boundaries...

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
So video games have finite play areas, and in the world of Zelda there are only so many paths to explore.

One thing that always captures my imagination playing Zelda are those places you can see but not get to - tantalizing glimpses of distant landmarks with promises of lands beyond. I always look out over the landscape and think to myself "I want to go there!"

But alas, tis not to be.

Does anyone else ever get that feeling? Here are some examples...

1.) Zora Fountain "Pass" - this is the name I've given to a landmark in Zoras Fountain in Ocarina of Time. If you look north, you can see what appears to be a gap in the hills with trees along the side. How cruel of Nintendo that it is not simply some featureless wall! Now there's just got to be something back there! Since the discovery of Snowpeak in Twilight Princess, I've come to think that this is a pass to that uncharted land in an earlier age.

2.) Distant Fields: Eldin Field Twilight Princess - Standing upon the great expanse of Eldin Field in Twilight Princess, if the monsters can just leave me alone for a second thanks!! you can look across the gap the Eldin Bridge spans and see a distant green field with a grove of trees nestled beneath the craggy arid hills of Death Mountain. Looks like a quaint place to rest and get away from all those pestering monsters all over the place!!!

2.) Beyond the Woods: TP and OoT - The lost woods is an enigma shrouded in mystery. It is an ancient wood and it is vast. So vast that one has to wonder what lands lay within and beyond. Are there more gateways to other lands like Termina? What other secrets like ancient castles and forgotten temples lay hidden amidst the trees? What lands lay beyond the border of the great green wood? Is there a border at all, or does the wood bend time and space to some inconceivable form? The remains of the Temple of Time are hidden beyond the impassible windy gaps in regions beyond the known forest in Twilight Princess. I often stand on the rope bridge at the entrance to Ordon and look up the river canyon with its stark impassable cliff walls and wonder from whence those rapids are brought. Then there is the infamous legend of the so-called Beta Forest some say still exists somewhere in the game space...

4.) Beyond Snowpeak: For Hyrule's newest region, Snowpeak sure doesn't have much to offer. Who knows what secrets lay beneath the icy slopes of Snowpeak Mountain, or what other old world wonders like Snowpeak Ruins lay atop its peaks? Could the snowy passes conceal paths to distant lands...?

5.) The Hyrule Coastline - You may be thinking, "What coastline?" Well, Hyrule has a coastline... or at least it did. The very first LoZ features a series of maps that greatly resemble a coastline, and the area of Northern Hyrule in AoL clearly features expansive coastline. The Oracle games and of course Link's Awakening feature Link traveling to new lands from Hyrule by boat. But in later games there is no ocean or coastline to be found...

So what other areas are like this? I could certainly name a few more but this post would be darn near comprehensive and that would defeat the purpose of a thread!

This would bother me but i think I'm wired to accept what i cant do in a game and seeing things in the distance i cant reach just dont exist as soon as i look away knowing its futile to wish for something impossible.

However there is one thing in TP that has bugged me for a while. I dont want to go to this place, rather i want to know what and where it exactly is and if going there answers my question then i'll get hiking.

The place in question can, as far as i know, only be seen in one place at one time; before the final fight with Ganondorf, if you strap on the Hawkeye and look into the distance from the top of the stairs you'll see a tower, or at least thats the best way to describe it.

It looks like a cross sticking up out of the ground, evangelion third impact style, with a hole in the middle. Ive stared at this thing for bloody ages and cant work out what its supposed to be or where it is in the overworld.

Interestingly, the Gamecube version of TP only had one of these structures whereas TPHD has two.

What are they? Where are they supposed to be? Why are they there?

I want to get closer to try and figure it out.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This would bother me but i think I'm wired to accept what i cant do in a game and seeing things in the distance i cant reach just dont exist as soon as i look away knowing its futile to wish for something impossible.

However there is one thing in TP that has bugged me for a while. I dont want to go to this place, rather i want to know what and where it exactly is and if going there answers my question then i'll get hiking.

The place in question can, as far as i know, only be seen in one place at one time; before the final fight with Ganondorf, if you strap on the Hawkeye and look into the distance from the top of the stairs you'll see a tower, or at least thats the best way to describe it.

It looks like a cross sticking up out of the ground, evangelion third impact style, with a hole in the middle. Ive stared at this thing for bloody ages and cant work out what its supposed to be or where it is in the overworld.

Interestingly, the Gamecube version of TP only had one of these structures whereas TPHD has two.

Yes that is one place that I noticed also and was intrigued by. Looks kind of like a church to me.

I also wanted to explore Hyrule in WW. When I used action replay I tried to but a lot of the scenery is not real and you can fall right through to your doom.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire

However there is one thing in TP that had bugged me for a while. I dont want to go to this place, rather i want to know what and where it exactly is and if going there answers my question then i'll get hiking.

I would love to see a screenshot of that. Never noticed towers before. Right before the final battle is the perfect place to hide something like that too. You've reached the final point, ready for anything, people are probably more likely to charge in rather than look at the surroundings. One place I've wanted to go, but couldn't was beyond the Lanayru Sand sea in Skyward Sword.
616302_orig.png

Past those hills in the distance would be cool to see, and think about what's beyond if not more sand

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly

This. This is as yet unknown to me. I'll have to load up my end game save and take a look!!

The layout and structure of Hyrule Castle in TP makes no sense. It's clearly a different environment every time you're in it. Especially the first time the layout is completely random. It's definitely designed to be a "game" level rather than anything that makes any functional sense.

But Hyrule Castle as well is a big place with obviously much more going on than you can see in TP. I like that they added the
grave
as a secret area, just for effect. For that matter, Hyrule Castle interior is never explored in Ocarina of Time either.

Gerudo Desert and the Haunted Wasteland is also a vast and obscure border region of Hyrule. Gotta wonder what else exists beyond those sands... Other hidden oases like the Desert Colossus or even distant kingdoms in far off lands? I always thought the structure you encounter the Poe at in OoT is quite the oddity. I wonder what it was used for or if it was part of a larger structure. You'd think there would be all sorts of old ruins like that beneath the sands.

You put the number 2 twice.

Hm.. fancy that. Leave it to me to lose track of where I left off counting :P

Oh well, gives the OP some character XD

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
100% agree w/ all of those
another one that especially took my interest was the top of those hills in the fishing hole of twilight princess, honestly w/ how beautiful that area is in general, i just cant help but be enthralled w/ what could potentially lie beyond those hills
it always makes me think of four swords adventures for some reason

Like mad. All the wooded areas in OoT, the hills and mountains of Hyrule Field in TP, as well as the hills in Ordon. All throughout Gerudo Desert. Actually, TP has a ton of great vistas that drive me insane wanting to traverse their landscapes.

I noticed this the other day, actually. A close inspection just showed me it's just a decorative object mounted to the peak of one of the towers of the castle.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Like mad. All the wooded areas in OoT, the hills and mountains of Hyrule Field in TP, as well as the hills in Ordon. All throughout Gerudo Desert. Actually, TP has a ton of great vistas that drive me insane wanting to traverse their landscapes.

Really wish the field areas of TP were seamless, structurally. Instead of being chopped up into separate environments. Seamless maps were nothing new to video games when TP released. Skyrim did it. Oblivion did it before Skyrim. And so did Morrowind and that was on the original XBox. Heck, Wind Waker did it with the great sea just one game (and like what six years?) prior. So I don't know why Ninty couldn't make those far off places accessible. At least they finally got around to it with BotW. :)

But yeah, "Like Mad." LOL truer words, mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom