• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Between MM and TP

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think that Shade is not an incarnation of Link because his shield doesn't look like any shields Link used to have (which is a major supporting theory for his relevance)

I don't think that matters. The Stalfos form isn't the Hero's Shade actual incarnation. The golden wolf is. He just transformed into a Stalfos for combat purposes. He also said he accepted life as the hero and references a bloodline between he and Link, so it's pretty heavily evidenced that he's a previous Link. And, honestly, why would some random person seek out Link to teach him skills? That seems very unlikely.

I'll start with the hero's shade. As has already been posted, this is a common one. I've come to this conclusion using a different set of evidence than most however. I don't see the Gilded Sword or Mirror Shield among his possessions, for one thing. His parting words after teaching the first hidden skill revealed much to me.
A look at the Japanese text specifies that the skills are "inherited only by blood relatives of the hero," and shows that "the one whose spirit is that of the sublime beast" refers to "the hero," not to "one who carries the blood..." This proves that both the hero's shade and Link are blood relatives of "the hero," given that their spirits are also of the sublime beast and they both (already/will) know the hidden skills.
The next quote reveals who "the hero" is.
The hero's shade is "the hero." Following Occam's Razor, we assume that there is only one "the hero" (besides the one that TP Link is to become) because there is no evidence or necessity for more. This hero is the Hero of Time, the only other hero to have wielded the Master Sword he seems to know so much about.

Now, all of that may seem pointless, as most people already accept this idea. But I'm going to delve deeper into these quotes (possibly too far) to learn more about what became of the Hero of Time. I'll look at the second quote first this time, specifically the second line. "I accepted life as a hero" - I'm almost certainly overanalyzing this - This sounds like a choice. The HoT didn't have much of a choice. He was told what to do. But Zelda felt bad about this and gave him to opportunity to make his own choices by sending him back in time. He must have chosen to be a hero sometime after this point. He couldn't have been referring to his journey in Termina because he didn't know the hidden skills at that point. It was during his "life as a hero" when he learned the lessons. So this life must have happened after he returned to Hyrule. This leads to the second bolded phrase of the section of my article I posted. He became the hero the people of TP remember sometime after both of the previous games. What exactly he did as a hero relates to the first bolded phrase. There was a war, though we don't have enough information to guess who it was with and what it was about.

How he died, however, still remains a mystery. My theory is that he forsaw the need for a new hero in the future in case Ganondorf escaped or a new evil would arise, and he found that the best way of aiding that hero was to create the howling stones and die in the Lost Woods to become a stalfos. Perhaps a battle was fought there as part of the war I mentioned earlier. This might have something to do with the ToT mystery as well, which I still haven't come across a sufficient explanation for.

with the information you just said i can add this shade is in twilight princess and link was a rancher keep that in mind in shade refers to link as my son he could mean that as his student or as his actual son the game does not tell you about who his parents was it could be that after mm link returned to hyrule died in the lost woods and became a stafols creating shade that when he was returning he keep his new items that would explain why shades weapons reseamble the mm link but one thing is if this is true who could be links mother there was not other women link knew that didnt become a sage so what other girl was close to links age and possible for him to marry malon the ranch girl and like i said in tp link was a rancher it would make sense to what happened so is it possible link married malon,with your theory of how he died he left malon with links son as a child and she later died and link grew up in the new hyrule and later met shade. since link could have dies in the lost woods becomeing a stafols later teaching his own son the moves that had made him a legend

Tell me what you people think of my theory this is really my first theory sorry if it is not good but tell me what you think
shad could be oot link

Last edited by a moderator:
im leaning more towards him being SS Link. it fits, timeline wise, and Shade mentions regret for not being able to pass down his sword skills.
going bac to the move similarities, SS Link and TP Link have similar moves, like the 'ending blow.' also, Shade says "but your current power would disgrace the proud green of the hero's tunic you wear."
SS Link got that tunic from the Knights Academy, which holds some importance to him. if he's been dead, and a ghost all these years, watching all the other Links save Hyrule with the green tunic he started, it'd make sense that he'd want to help carry on the tradition

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
im leaning more towards him being SS Link. it fits, timeline wise, and Shade mentions regret for not being able to pass down his sword skills.

That could ring true for any previous Link.

going bac to the move similarities, SS Link and TP Link have similar moves, like the 'ending blow.'

Any swordsman could pull off that simple move. If you want to use that logic, you should use it for the Great Spin and it being a clear rip from the Magic Spin Attack (OoT Link).

also, Shade says "but your current power would disgrace the proud green of the hero's tunic you wear."
SS Link got that tunic from the Knights Academy, which holds some importance to him. if he's been dead, and a ghost all these years, watching all the other Links save Hyrule with the green tunic he started, it'd make sense that he'd want to help carry on the tradition

OoT Link surely had the same tunic.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Huh? You think the shade was a wolf?
Ummm... Ok. I guess a green hat wearing wolf could work...

The Hero's Shade doesn't appear to be an actual spirit of a person. It appears to be more of a remnant of a spirit. I mean, look at how it only appears as the Stalfos in Link's mind. Out in the real world, it only appears in the wolf form. TP Link's spirit is like that of a feral beast (a wolf), so it makes sense that this remnant of a previous hero's spirit looks like a wolf, as well. There's an obvious connection there.

A

An Hero of Time

Welp, it's been officially confirmed that the Hero's Spirit/Shade is the Hero of Time.

This was translated from Hyrule Historia:

時の勇者子孫リンク
Link, the descendant of the Hero of Time

リンクが初めてトワイライトに足を踏み入れた際、手の甲に勇気のトライフォースの紋章が輝いて獣の姿になり 、人間に戻った際には勇者が着ていたという縁衣をまとっていた。リンクは、先祖である時の勇者の亡霊から奥 義を教わる。彼は子ども時代に戻って以降、勇者として名残せかったことを無念に感じていた。それゆえリンク に「息子よ」と語りかけ、勇気の証と奥義継いだのだ。

When Link first set foot in the Twilight, the crest of the Triforce of Courage shined on the back of his hand; when he returned to human-form he wore clothes the hero wore. Link is taught mysteries from the ghost of the hero of time. Since he returned to his childhood, he'd felt regret that he would leave his name as hero. Therefore, the "son" of Link speaks proof of the courage he inheirited mysteriously.

So yeah, he's the Hero of Time unless Nintendo confirms otherwise.

We need a game to show the end of Link's journey, and him becoming the Hero's Shade. Sure, it would be a depressing ending, but it would show what happened to him.

AwesomeZeldaFan

Fierce Deity
I think SS link is the heros shade because he knows he shield attack and the fatal blow.
and when you use the skyward strike with the spin attack or the jump attack, they look
like the great spin and jump strike respectively.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think SS link is the heros shade because he knows he shield attack and the fatal blow.
and when you use the skyward strike with the spin attack or the jump attack, they look
like the great spin and jump strike respectively.

Those first two moves are very generic. Any swordsman could use them, so that's not really evidence at all. The other two things are just using the Skyward Strike in different ways. If they were meant to be the last two Hidden Skills, it would have been beyond obvious (and they would probably have names).

Welp, it's been officially confirmed that the Hero's Spirit/Shade is the Hero of Time.

時の勇者子孫リンク

リンクが初めてトワイライトに足を踏み入れた際、手の甲に勇気のトライフォースの紋章が輝いて獣の姿になり 、人間に戻った際には勇者が着ていたという縁衣をまとっていた。リンクは、先祖である時の勇者の亡霊から奥 義を教わる。彼は子ども時代に戻って以降、勇者として名残せかったことを無念に感じていた。それゆえリンク に「息子よ」と語りかけ、勇気の証と奥義継いだのだ。

When Link first set foot in the Twilight, the crest of the Triforce of Courage shined on the back of his hand; when he returned to human-form he wore clothes the hero wore. Link is taught mysteries from the ghost of the hero of time. Since he returned to his childhood, he'd felt regret that he would leave his name as hero. Therefore, the "son" of Link speaks proof of the courage he inheirited mysteriously.

Here is what I don't understand about this. How is TP Link OoT Link's son? Or did I misunderstand that. And I always thought the reason the Triforce of Courage shined like that was that is was protecting Link and turned him into a wolf.

Did the creators of Zelda confirm this? And I don't really understand. If it is the Hero of Time then how did he get the shield, sword, armor and how does he know those moves? And did he die in the lost woods or return to Hyrule?

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Link turns into a wolf due to the twilight though. He isn't turned into a spirit due to the protection of the triforce and is still very much a mortal being of flesh and blood. I still don't quite get what you're trying to put across here. Similarly the Shade is still a spirit whilst out in the real world. His choice of appearance may well simply be his choice (or that of the designers).

The fact that his design is that of a wolf with the exact same white markings on his body as Link's wolf form shows an obvious connection between them. Nintendo didn't just choose the design of the Hero's Shade randomly.

Isn't the animal form of Link from aLttP a rabbit or something (only played it once when I was seven so can't remember if this is correct or not)?

Yes, but that's a bit different. Link was turned into a bunny due to the fact that the Dark World reflects what's on the heart. Twilight in Hyrule doesn't do that. It turns people into spirit forms. Link didn't turn into a spirit due to the Triforce of Courage, but he still has to transform, so instead of turning into a spirit, he turned into what his spirit is like: a feral beast. A wolf. This is another reason say the Hero's Shade's true form is a wolf, and it's a big reason why the two have obvious connections.

Perhaps a blood relative... we still don't know

Uh, if he's a blood relative, then he's a previous Link due to the fact that he stated that he "accepted life as the hero". That's a direct quote.

時の勇者子孫リンク

Well, thank you for this information. This confirms my beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom