• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Better Than Phantom Hourglass?

For those of you that have the game already do you think it is an improvement from Phantom Hourglass? In an interview Miyamoto (I think it was him) said that it would be harder than PH. In your opinion, is this statement true? Does it have a deeper storyline?

E

Enraikou

look i hope that this game is harder than PH , because there aren't WI-fi matches...

So far, I really like Spirit Tracks. Something about it just makes it so much better than Phantom Hourglass, because I really dislike PH. Even though you can't explore Hyrule on foot, it still feels like you are getting to explore everything in the land. You can see everything really well, and they did a great job in the graphics department. The story is great, IMO. I see ST as the true sequel to WW because we actually get the story of the new Hyrule and all that, and that is something I've been waiting on for a while. On top of everything else, the music in this game is simply epic. I really think that this game has the best music of any Zelda title I've played, and I'm only on the second dungeon.

Short answer: Yes, definitely better than Phantom Hourglass.

IMHO, Spirit Tracks is much better than Phantom Hourglass. First off being on land just feels better. The music is really great. Graphics are a bit better than Phantom Hourglass. It's harder and the puzzles are much more fun. Boss fights are truly epic, and a lot of fun. The game also uses the microphone and the touch screen in more ways than PH, which, in my opinion, is a plus.

Wow, that's awsum you guys like it so much. I still have to wait many long days until European release, but your comments just made days fly so much more faster. I also thought Phantom Hourglass was huge disappointment.

So far, I really like Spirit Tracks. Something about it just makes it so much better than Phantom Hourglass, because I really dislike PH. Even though you can't explore Hyrule on foot, it still feels like you are getting to explore everything in the land. You can see everything really well, and they did a great job in the graphics department. The story is great, IMO. I see ST as the true sequel to WW because we actually get the story of the new Hyrule and all that, and that is something I've been waiting on for a while. On top of everything else, the music in this game is simply epic. I really think that this game has the best music of any Zelda title I've played, and I'm only on the second dungeon.

Short answer: Yes, definitely better than Phantom Hourglass.

I can't wait. :cry:

Everyone i've talked to who's played it says it's far better than Phantom Hourglass, this game is getting nothing but good reception.

No surprise. Every single Zelda game has always gotten stellar reviews and amazing reception. That's just the way it is. Hell, even PH, what many consider to be the worst from the series, was awarded best handheld game of 2007. Just because it's received well by the world hardly means squat to the biggest of fans. I'll be picking up the game in about an hour; I can only hope it surpasses PH.

Yup the game is much better then Phantom Hourglass, I liked Phantom Hourglass but Spirit Tracks is just greater.. Maybe it's also because of Princess Zelda taking a bigger role... and the music is just sooo much better =D

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
ok after i beat the game (i still have to find other sidequests cause i lack some heart containers) i can definitely say that ST is way harder than PH.

why is this? well the dungeons are harder to beat than in PH, some answers of the puzzles in ST are not obvious some just need to relax and think. The enemies are the same, well except that da** Blasted Bomb train, I nearly keep encountering it and well i hate going up to it and attack it since it is invincible, and you die if you get hit. X(

The music in the game is very beautiful, more than any other Zelda handheld game. (Except Link's Awakening, nothing can beat that classic.) The storyline is very straightforward and very obvious, though what surprises me most is the fact that Zelda is your partner this time, i am still stoked to see that Zelda is at my side helping me. That and her crazy moments (Like she is paranoid of her body being stolen and being afraid of mice. XD) (highlight to see spoiler-ish message)

Overall the game is enchanting and very awesome, it could be what we have waited for in a handheld game for a long time. A true epic, wonderful, enchanting, exhilarating and appealing game that Everyone one will like, whether be young or old, man or woman, black or white, fat or thin, single or married, rich or poor, Asian or European or American or whatever nationality you have, healthy or sick and for better or for worse, till death do I part with my partner (somebody PLEASE slap or kick or give me an "It's over 9000!" moment or a IMA GONNA KILL YA NAO!!!, i can't resist XD)

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I will be writing a full review of all the pros and cons, but thus far, I can say that it is better than Phantom Hourglass. I think Phantom Hourglass was a big jump in the franchise because of the new controls. Granted the sailing on the boat and Islands made it seem awfully familiar to Wind Waker, but other than that, I thought Phantom Hourglass was very new.

There isn't nearly as much new in the game. I think Princess Zelda is a better companion than Ciela was, but I do miss the subtle humor of Linebeck in his quest for treasure.

Probably the biggest change has to do with the storyline. The PH story... seemed like one of those games where you played through the entire thing and made you go.. .'oh, so that's what happened'. However, there was constantly things going on within the storyline. Still, as a gamer, I don't think most gamers really got into the storyline of Phantom Hourglass. Spirit Tracks on the other hand jumps right into the storyline and its rather dark... But then the story inexcusably disappears for the almost 2/3 of the game with absolutely nothing happening other than going through temples, and restoring more tracks.

The part of Spirit Tracks that shines is its quests outside the main story. While I personally think Phantom Hourglass had superior and meaningful collectibles, Spirit Tracks has better event side quests. You can use the train to carry passengers around from village to village. The sense of having an impact and helping the not as important characters hasn't been as apparent since the days of Majora's Mask. That's certainly back in Spirit Tracks.

It's too early to tell, but I think I'm leaning towards Spirit Tracks. One thing is for sure... those that loved Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks doesn't really miss a step and you'll likely enjoy this one. However, a lot of the Phantom Hourglass haters seem to be jumping on the Spirit Tracks bandwagon.

(There are a lot of other aspects such as character development, music, difficulty, depth, etc... and I'll be touching on that later)

I've completed four temples now and as of yet it doesn't seem tough at all, easier than the previous one, even.

I can't really say if I like it better than Phantom Hourglass yet, it will take a while before I can look at it in an unbiased way I guess. I consider Phantom Hourglass the finest DS game up till now but it might change with this impressive new effort. At least it's got one big improvement over the previous one, and that is the fact that you do not have to redo all those floors again in the Spirit Tower like you had to in PH's Temple of the Ocean King.

Dusted off my Phantom Hourglass and Nintendo DS (old fat thing. I haven't got new one since release date) this morning and I noticed that my DS upper screen seems to be broken.. It almost fell of when I started playing.. haha.. I have no idea how that happened. Well, it still works perfectly (thank god for that), but I need to handle it with care from now on. 10 minutes and I can officially say that Spirit Tracks release tomorrow!

PS. Funny thing I also noticed today... My local video game store (same one I have my ST pre-ordered) has Spirit Tracks as #5 most selling DS title this week..!! What's up with that.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Hah, I still have another 2 hours before I can say it's released tomorrow xDD And wtf... a 5# best selling game that's not even out yet, there's something you don't see everyday. But eh, I just hope mine comes on time on friday :3 From what I've heard though, it seems a lot better than PH, and I had loads of fun with PH so it should be good~! Can't wait until I can properly reply to threads like this :D

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Two Words: Heck Yes. the train is so much fun to ride, and the game incorperated the mic into the game so much better than PH. You get a flute (Yay for instruments), which I missed having in PH. The world seems larger, there seems to be more places to explore. I haven't seen all of the weapon just the SPOILER...I guess...cyclone shooter (or whatever it's called), but that in itself is pretty cool. The Spirit Tower is nice becuase I don't have to do the damn thing all over again. figuring things out with the Knight is awesome, like using him to treverse lava and whatnot. There are so many things to love.

Don't get me wrong, I liked PH, but ST is going to be played for quite a while, and I have barely started it!

A

Avilink777

I've been playin' it for about 3 days now, and I think it's FREAKIN' SWEET, and much better than PH. Though I already beat about 3 dungeons and passed 3 floors in the tower of the spirits.and the flute is a great improvement to the game!For those who have Zelda and the ocarina of time, I figured out the song of time!It's Orange,Green,White,...Orange,Green,White,...Orange.Purple,Yellow,Blue,White,Blue,Orange,Green,...There are three notes missing but it's still all good!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom