• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Better Company: Sony or Microsoft?

Sony vs. Microsoft

• Microsoft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony

• Unsure

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Both of these companies compete directly with each other, focus on hardcore gaming, aren't exclusively game companies, and have millions of fans. Whose the better game company and why?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I see Microsoft as the better of the two. Whenever I walk into someone's house I usually see more Microsoft products than Sony products. Maybe because they are better...?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If we're talking purely on a business stand-point, Microsoft by miles, it's barely a competition. Sony is actually the bigger company as far as employees go and actually has more revenue if I recall but Microsoft's profit margins dwarf theirs, and makes Nintendo's look like pocket money. People sometimes forget what a giant Microsoft still is. If we look at Market Capitalization, Nintendo sits at $14.39 billion. Sony is at $17.6 billion. And Microsoft is at $234.8 billion. So you can see just how huge Microsoft is. Their Entertainment division, which includes the Xbox, contributes very little towards that too. Microsoft would never financially be pushed out of the videogame market, unlike Sony and, more likely, Nintendo, at least hardware-wise, but they could leave it voluntarily, which some shareholders actually want. Though with GTAV's release anyone thinking Microsoft's going anywhere is kidding themselves.

Forbe's 'Global 2000' list keeps track of the biggest publicly trading companies. Nintendo sits at a very respectable #1078, considering what they do, Sony is at #506, and Microsoft is way up there at #41.

If we talk about technology, Microsoft wins again I'd say. They have a lot more resources, more invested into technology and advancements in it, and though may have slowed down a bit they were extremely innovative and creative in the old days. The Xbox One may be less powerful but it's OS and available features far out-weigh what's available on the Playstation 4. Whether you like these features is subjective and another matter entirely, but it's the more technically superior machine.

If we talk and 'likeability', which company we like more, well, that's like asking would I rather be slapped or punched. They both hurt. Both Microsoft and Sony have had their ups and downs in business but right now, in gaming, both are doing right by me. Even Microsoft's started to show a bit less hostility towards PC Gamers now, considering we're all likely buggering off to SteamOS, but better late than never and it's appreciated. So, it's a draw, really. Their just companies at the end of the day, trying to make money. They'll **** us and they'll love us, but they still are just out to make money at the end of the day.

But in every objective way possible, Microsoft is by far the better company.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm looking at this from a purely gaming perspective. Their other assets are things I'm not familiar with, and things that likely distract them from focusing on gaming.

Sony has put out better hardware, better first-party material, and free internet (at least they did). They didn't pull all that Xbone garbage, and they made the PS3 a blu-ray player. They also make sure their consoles are viable and packed with games.

MS almost seems to have lost interest in gaming. The first Xbox was pretty solid console, and the 360 has great merits despite the Xbox live charge and the Red Ring of Death. Then they gave the Xbox the worst name in console history and turned into some weird tv,no used-games, unbearbly stupid voice command, internet check-ups, super expensive device. The fact that they even allowed the xbox to get that far down a bad road shows that they can't be thinking too hard about the gamers. They seem uninterested and aimply not focused enough on providing us with great gaming, so my vote goes to Sony.

Kaleb Dampf

YouTube- www.youtube.com/user/F3artheReaper
I have an idea.

Back in November of 2011, I started a very heated debate much akin to this one by bashing on Skyrim upon it's release. The point is simple: The internet is filled with opinions, but some arguments are better left unsaid, such as Sony vs Microsoft. Everyone has their preference, and to ask which is better is almost the same as letting a five year old girl ride two ponies and asking which one she wants.
It doesn't honestly matter, just as long as you have a favorite, you can voice your opinion, but don't be surprised if in the next days that this post receives much attention in replies. It will be a hate war, and I'm honestly not ready for another one yet... it has almost been two years since that one, let's keep it that way, mmkay?

Big Octo

=^)
When looking at them without being exclusive to the realm of games, then Microsoft is, by far, the better company.

Though, as the OP mentioned, this is purely about the two in the game market.

In that case, I'd have to go with Sony. They've released consistently good consoles with strong libraries and have favorable business practices, especially when compared to Microsoft. That's not to say that they have some problems, however. The launch of the PS3 comes to mind, what with the large price-tag and all. They've learned from that mistake now, though, and have effectively used it to gain an upper hand over Microsoft's Xbox One. Still, in any case, the good Sony has done in the game market certainly outweighs the bad.

Taking a look at Microsoft, now, I believe that it is the opposite situation. The bad outweighs the good. Their entrance into the console market with the Xbox seemed promising but was a bit held back by a somewhat unimpressive library, save for the two Halo titles and perhaps some 3rd party multiplatform games. A good attempt, but left much to be improved. With the 360, Microsoft came through with a wider library of games. With its release before the PS3 and cheaper price at the time, it proved to be a 3rd party powerhouse as well. Of course, that wasn't without a few problems. The hardware of the system comes quickly to mind, as I'm sure we're all familiar with the Red Ring of Death. Jumping ahead, Microsoft somewhat shot themselves in the foot in the 8th generation with the Xbox One. Some of the features, policies, and restrictions really put some gamers off. Since then, they've repealed most of the negatives, but the damage done and high price of the console may hold it back.

Both sides considered, I still hold to Sony.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
What's the criteria for being the better gaming company?

If it comes to games and library, Sony has a lot more first party support. Many of the biggest games on the Xbox 360 are multiplats. Microsoft's focus seemed to have shifted to spending money on exclusive DLC for multi-plat games, rather than picking up and supporting their first party studios.

If it comes down to features put into the console, I'd give it to Microsoft. I have absolutely no idea where people get the idea that M$ doesn't innovate in the video game space (Windows and PC market aside). Innovation is not only introducing something new, but building on things already out there to make it newer.
The Dreamcast was the first console, I'd say, with online gaming capabilities. While the PS2 followed suit, it was only with Xbox Live that online gaming really took off, with a single account across all games, and friends lists, and online features. Same with Sony's PS2 doubling as a DVD-player, Microsoft took that one step further, incorporating more entertainment features into the X360, and then adding cable features into the Xbox One.

At the end of the day, they're both evil companies that want your hard-earned cash. One will lube up your butt with sweet words whispered in your ears, while the other seems to be stumbling in the dark, and fumbling up with words.
One is fine with giving gamers more of what we already have with a new coat of paint, while the other is trying to innovate with ways no one really asked for.

They both suck *******. My vote goes to no one.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sony is miles ahead of Microsoft. If both were exclusively gaming companies, Sony would destroy M$..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom